Slim Fast 3-2-1 plan

Options
Has anyone tried the slim fast diet? What were your results? Please post beginning and ending height and weight. Thank you!!!

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drink shakes, might as well look for recipes that won't leave you hungry and starved by yourself. Look into the plan and you are only allowed ONE shake as a "meal".. That's not enough to sustain you. Just my 2 cents.

Love your body and what you put into it, not just what it'll look like in a few months to a few years of dieting.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Well I started and was only 5'2". Now I'm 5'7"! Thanks SlimFast!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Well I started and was only 5'2". Now I'm 5'7"! Thanks SlimFast!

Damn, I got shorter... I think I was on the 1-2-3 shakes
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why not use MFP to track your calories and eat real food. I've tried slimfast and I was always hungry and grumpy.
  • ejosborne14
    ejosborne14 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started the slim fast plan 7 days ago i have already lost 4lbs, I have a shake for breakfast a 100cal snack mid morning, then another shake for lunch, a 100cal snack mid afternoon, then a 600cal evening meal and a 100cal snack in the evening.

I would like to say that I am not hungry eating this way, i am also learning what 100cal snack looks like and what healthy things I can eat for that, I will slowly start to come of the shakes and replace with equivalent in meals.
  • Rory_Gilmore
    Options
    I have done it. It worked well when I was recovering from a surgery and had zero appetite. I did it as a way to not gain weight while I had to lie around, and had no appetite anyway. I can't imagine how terrible it would be now, with my appetite all huge and all. I don't think it would work.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Tried it and never could stick to it. The shakes taste gross, to be honest. Some of the snack bars are okay tasting... but honestly, you're better off just eating normal food and sticking to your calorie goal.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on drinking the shakes for the rest of your life? If not, it's not a sustainable lifestyle change. Eating whole foods and a well-balanced diet of less calories than you burn is the best bet to guaranteed weight loss and overall health.
  • skinny0000
    skinny0000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tried them, they didn't work for me. I want to chew my food. It's more satisfying. Also, there is some rumors that you should check about slim fast ruining people's gall bladders.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I lost the first 15 lbs of my 55 lb weight loss using Slim Fast. That was 2 years ago and I've kept it off. I'm one of those people that hates breakfast and am often too busy to eat much in the way of lunch, so I have HUGE dinners and late night snacks because I'd get so hungry. With Slim Fast, following it to the letter with the three snacks and a veggie-heavy dinner, I was never hungry. I find that the shakes help me meet my macros, too.

Granted, I like the way the shakes taste, at least the ones that come in the bottle when they're ice cold (I'm not a huge fan of the meal bars). Also the fact that you're allowed to have 3 snacks a day appeals to my tendency to graze and my desire to have a snack late at night. And they don't come from some overzealous obnoxious "coach" trying to shill them to you. lol.

I'm only 15 lbs away from my current goal weight, so I've restarted Slim Fast again this week and hopefully I'll be there in a couple of months. It's just easy and it works. If you Google for unbiased studies about Slim Fast, you'll see that it is a proven way to lose weight and has few to no downsides unless you're gluten-free or a sweetener-hater.

I don't think anyone plans to be on Slim Fast for the rest of their lives. As a middle-aged woman with injuries/health/thyroid issues that prevent the kind of strenuous strength-training that would speed up my slower-than-molasses-in-February metabolism, I have to eat 1300-1500 net calories a day to lose even a little weight, which isn't a lot of food to me. I find that Slim Fast is the easiest way to stick to that. And their recipe bank is pretty awesome. Once I reach my goal weight, I'll be able to eat at maintenance much more easily.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I did the old plan several times, because I didn't learn my lesson once. But given that you're allowed 1200 calories on Slim Fast, why not just figure out what 1200 calories of real food looks like and eat that? Those shakes and bars leave an aftertaste.

I always lost weight. I always gained it back.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    don't remember start/end weight because it was over 15 years ago but i did lose weight, i was hungry all the time, and as soon as i tried to satisfy the hunger i went all out binge crazy and gained all the weight back in half the time it took to lose it. slim fast is VERY sugary and if you have any insulin resistance it will wreak havoc on your blood sugar. if you must do a meal replacement do something like Isagenix or Shakeology - at least they have a respectable amount of protein and a lower glycemic index.

not trying to push either brand on you, mind you - eating real food is generally better than eating meal replacements. i have personal experience with isagenix if you'd like to discuss that privately (lots of people don't like isagenix, it's best not to discuss it publicly).
  • ERH56
    ERH56 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In a former church I was a member there was a group as such who went on a similar liquid diet. Some lost 20 pounds, others up to 50 pounds, some even more. However, once they went off it all of them, 100% of them gained the weight back. In the long run, you just can't substitute for a well balanced diet (including the good stuff as well) and exercise.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I haven't gained any of the weight I lost back and it's been two years. Because in the interim I've learned how to count calories and macros and stuff like that, but that takes time. It's just a convenient way to achieve a calorie deficit if you like the way they taste. If after you stop Slim Fast you go back to overeating, then, yes, of course you'll gain the weight back.
  • OCTOBERLISA
    OCTOBERLISA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The slim fast diet is 1200 calorie diet. Drinking a shake or eating food- calories in and calories out. It is sustainable, just in a different way. Whatever works for you.