5K Support

Options
Hi MFP friends!

I am really excited for my first real 5K which I am running on Sunday, Mothers Day! However, I find myself kinda needing some support and encouragement. All of the silly people in my "real" life aren't really that into it and/or have their own stuff going on. Usually I need very little support from others, but I guess it's because I am working so hard at being fit and am falling in love with running again, that I could use some encouragement!

I have been really working on counting calories and exercising since January. I have lost 26 pounds and am loving the process of getting healthier! I started the C25K program, but couldn't wait to finish it at the end of May before my first race. I am doing my own running program now (just whatever works for that day) and am feeling great!

So if any of you have any wisdom, support or 5K stories to throw my way, I would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• JosephTucker
    Options
    That is so awesome. Me and my wife have been on here for over a year now and just completed our second 5k this past Saturday. We knew we would not place, but we did it for the exercise and the idea that "we did it" , good luck and just have fun!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K when I was on week 3 of the program. I ended up running in intervals and finished at about 34 minutes.
    It was a great race and inspiring to see so many different people show up and run. I remember seeing a maybe 8 year old girl and her dad running, I don't think I could have run a 5K when I was that age.

I'm just about done with C25K now on week 9 and I'm running it in just barely over 30 minutes. I'd imagine once I run another race, with adrenaline I should be able to get well under 30 minutes.

Good luck on your race, I'm sure you'll surprise yourself with the results.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can do it - and have a blast in the process....

Since this is your first race, here are some tidbits of wisdom -

Dress in layers - you will be much warmer than you think. Runners World has a site that helps you decide what to wear based on the temp.

Your number goes on the front - trust me, you can always tell the newbies by where their number is pinned on. ;)

Don't change your shoes - wear what you've been running in up to the race

You don't need to carb load - its only three miles, No need to eat a mountain of spaghetti for dinner the night before

Take some water when they offer it - just ran one this weekend and the water station was 2.9 miles into the race. Really? what was the freaking point?

Eat something before the race - banana, bagel, muffin. I tend to stay away from cereals and milk.

HAVE FUN and don't worry about your time. Just use this one as a learning experience.
  • smoten
    smoten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i felt really prepared when i did my first 5k a few weeks ago, although i had a small setback in my training (a really sore swollen knee 3 weeks before the race). i had to ease back in with shorter, slower runs for a while. but the week of the race (it was on a Saturday) i drank plenty of water, watched my salt but pretty much ate like always, which is only semi strict. I ran hard on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and had never had big runs 3 days in a row before, but i pushed thru and did it. i rested on the 2 days before the race. i was still active, just less so and no running. i was ready on race day and finishing was awesome. It was hard but i just kept telling myself "giving up is not an option".
    As for race day, you know your pace, follow it, and nobody else. there were so many who took off like a shot and i ended up passing them less than half way thru and they ended up walking most of it. Run YOUR race, when your breathing feels out of control just slow your pace, if your legs get tight let yourself take 5 big walking steps to stretch them out but get right back on pace so you dont lose momentum.
    if i can do this any one can. Good Luck! You are gonna feel so great, like you can do anything!
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have finished C25K last week and haven't run since then. With the holiday in UK and all the long weekends hopefully over I will get back into it. I have my first race in July so still long way away, but I have to keep it up. I lost my motivation with the end of C25K, but I do enjoy running/jogging.

I am hoping that being in here will give me the encouragement to get back into it. 4 days might not be a long time without run, but feels like lifetime......if that makes sense. :smile:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm a fall grad of C25K and getting ready to run my first 5-mile race on Saturday. Just enjoy the event, run at your own pace, don't feel like you need to run the entire thing if you can't...you won't be alone on that. Maybe consider doing your current C25K workout during the race, that is what my wife did on her first 5K while still working on C25K. Most of all, love the fact that you are doing your first race and hopefully not the last!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You're going to do great and feel great!
    My advice: Keep your head up and shoulders relaxed even on a hill. It doesn't help to lean into it or try and force it. Focus on what's in front of you. I mean that metaphorically as well. I know you'd like to get a little bit of support from others but the fact is this is your goal and you can do it, on your own if necessary. Head up and shoulders relaxed will help you feel strong and powerful and you will feel like you NEED that support less, (even though it would be nice:wink: ) So that's what you should do for the rest of the week AND during the race.
    Good luck!!!
    :smile:
  • lizconnor0823
    Options
    Thank you all for the great support! It was great to hear about the different experiences that each of you had with your 5K's. Thank you for the tips and I have increased confidence in finishing the race and having fun doing it!