~ SOUP! Keeps You Satisfied Longer! ~

Options
(Posted as a Blog but wanted to share with max amount of people :smile: )

*Feel Like Your Meals Are Not Satisfying Enough or Don't Keep You Full Long Enough??

Have A Soup!!! The combination of foods with the water can help keep you satiated for 1/4 longer!

I beleived, until recently, the best way to keep myself full or fool myself into feeling fuller was by simply having a glass of water before eating a meal...it still helps some, but I have learned by researching on the web, that a soup will keep you fuller longer. This is why: A glass of water before a meal is easily seperated and treated by our stomach, but in a soup, you blend that same quantity of water to your food, and your stomach does not seperate it as fast, thus slowing the digestion/hunger...

Any soup will do! Turn your meal into a soup by adding water and blending, the benefits will show in your pangs of hunger! And at about 150 calories a bowl (varies of course depending on your ingredients), you can indulge and cheat less! ;0)

It's working for me so far!

Here is one of the links I read during my research if anyone is interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/slim/soup.shtml

Not only does it work for hunger, but it's also easy to make a large quantity & store portions for those busy days or that suddenly growling stomach!

You Can Do It!

NoSurrender!!!

Replies

• JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have a BIG appetite and I have found that soup tends to make me feel full longer. I love Progresso soups and have been eating a lot of them.
  • paloma1182
    paloma1182 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    no wonder i love those little soup at hand campbells thingy's! :) ive noticed i love eating hot meals now... most of the time im snacking on cold or room temp things.. hot meals feel so much better!
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love pregresso soups also, But they dont fill me up. I had soup today for lunch (about 30mins ago) and im starving now! lol
  • ChattyNoSurrender
    ChattyNoSurrender Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I never buy pre made soups for a few reasons:

1-I try to stay away from canned goods (preservatives often rule out the nutrients)
    2-The Sodium is usually crazy high!
    3-When making it at home, I can add any ingredient I want and fresh foods are always the most beneficial!
    4-I save loads of $! With only 15$ at my fresh produce market, I made 8 huge portions of soup!

So make an effort people, make your pot of soup at home, make a few different flavors if you get bored quickly! It's worth it!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I make a big pot of soup on Sunday and eat from it all week. I usually put a bowl or two away in the freezer for the weekend when don't have time to cook.

I find that its not only satisfying but it takes longer to eat and you can savor each spoonful, as opposed to a sandwich that can be gone in 4 bites. Making your own can help ensure you keep the sodium at a decent level and you can be sure to get some good proteins into it as well. I usually have some bacon, ham, sausage or chicken in mine. Instead of pasta or rice I use millet to give it good body.

My farmer CSA box will start up again in June, I can't wait for farm fresh veggies and eggs to come to me weekly again. Lots of people get overwhelmed by so many different veggies in their CSA box but my motto: when in doubt make soup!!!

happy eating!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I never buy pre made soups for a few reasons:

1-I try to stay away from canned goods (preservatives often rule out the nutrients)
    2-The Sodium is usually crazy high!
    3-When making it at home, I can add any ingredient I want and fresh foods are always the most beneficial!
    4-I save loads of $! With only 15$ at my fresh produce market, I made 8 huge portions of soup!

So make an effort people, make your pot of soup at home, make a few different flavors if you get bored quickly! It's worth it!

Glad you through the sodium in there. The amounts in canned soup are ridiculous.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    my doctor just reccomended this last week for my son. Haven't tried it yet but it does make sense.
    thanks
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yeah- canned soup= blahg. It's so easy to saute up some veggies, throw in a can of chickpeas, some broth and wizz half of it up in a blender, mix it back in- and you've made an awesome soup! Soup rules!
  • dragonflies6
    dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    soup is awesome!
  • ChattyNoSurrender
    ChattyNoSurrender Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been on my soup "plan" for over a week now...and you know what???

My apetite has severly decreased!

Whenever I feel like I'm starving, I have a portion of soup, if it's sweet I crave, I go for half a glass of chocoloate soy...don't know @ what point I'll get fed up, but I promise myself to indulge once in a while so I don't. lol

The recipe I want to try next is Turkey Chilli...I hear it is packed with protein & fibres and fills you up (chilli is kinda like a heavy soup after all!) :wink:

Knowledge IS POWER!