After losing weight will I gain it back...

Options
if I go from moderately active to mostly sedentary?
I plan on becoming a truck driver. I have lost a lot of weight after having been obese pretty much all my life. I am the kind of person who if I slip up I will gain weight. I'm currently a line cook so my job is a little physical, as well as go to the gym a couple days a week for a half hour to an hour each time. As a truck driver I plan on trying to keep my calories at or a little below than what's recommended for my weight, as well as trying to get at least 30 min exercise daily. But as you can imagine that will really be it in terms of physical activity. Am I bound to gain the weight back? Or if I keep my diet in check and try to get some exercise in I will be fine? Thanks!!!

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    What you have to do is to go on your MFP setting and change your activity level to "sedentary" when you change to driving. Then it will set you a lower amount of calories and you'll need to stick to that, and get what exercise you can, in order not to gain it back.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    only time will tell but if you're transitioning to a driving job--concentrate on improving your posture and strengthening your core to protect your back. Disc herniations are very common in people who drive for work and they can be debilitating.

The biggest favor you can do for yourself is commit to stretching and strengthening every day, even just for 10 minutes. Bring a yoga mat with you so you can stretch anywhere. Some good exercises are heel taps, leg raises, supermans, dead bug, bird dog. I think most of these are on youtube. Just remember to draw in your upper and lower abdominal muscles and your butt when you do them.
  • bigfran92
    Options
    I plan on bring resistance band and adjustable dumbbells with me when I do get on the road. So I plan on getting movement and physical activity any chance I get. Stretching and yoga are a good idea also, didnt really think about that! When the time comes I plan on adjusting my calories accordingly.
    My biggest fear is that by going from active to sedentary (with some daily exercise) is that my body will slowly start to go backwards
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    It can be done. You have a plan so just stay with it. Best of results.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If you go back to eating more calories than you burn, yes, you will gain weight.
    So do what they said in re changing the setting here to 'sedentary', and get as much exercise as you can.

51637601.png
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Like all of us with sedentary jobs, you're going to have to work on it and NOT SNACK.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    WHAT is consumed and HOW MUCH of it has more direct impact on weight management over the long term than exercise so the short answer to your question is no, not necessarily.

Exercise keeps the body in check ie. blood sugar, heart health, muscle definition etc.

You can certainly maintain if you continue to be vigilant in your eating choices without much exercise. However, as we age metabolism slows, muscle mass loss, etc which all could ultimately add on the pounds even if eating habits has been maintained. It's just an side effect of aging. If you can even set a goal to walk around a truck stop 2-3 times a week, it would be better than nothing.

Best of luck to you!
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Like all of us with sedentary jobs, you're going to have to work on it and NOT SNACK.

??? What's wrong with "snacking?" I snack most of the day and hit my calorie & marcro goals.

Don't over complicate it. You're mostly likely reducing the amount of calories you're burning through out the day, so you will need to reduce the number of calories you put in your body.

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

??? What's wrong with "snacking?" I snack most of the day and hit my calorie & marcro goals.

Don't over complicate it. You're mostly likely reducing the amount of calories you're burning through out the day, so you will need to reduce the number of calories you put in your body.

I think it depends on how many calories their sedentary level would be compared to their moderately active amount. If it's a drastic measure then I could see why the other poster mentioned to not snack, but could've just said cut down on snacking instead. They might have meant to say that eating larger meals with fewer snacks could help with satiety than calorie dense snacks?
  • nxd10
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Couldn't agree more with what you say.

Every professional driver I know gets into the habit of munching and drinking sugary things while driving and pounds up the pounds by doing that. If you don't get that habit of munching all day and mostly eat at meals or at set breaks, you don't have that issue.

• catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sorry it's simple - you will gain it back if you eat crap and don't stay physically active.
    - Calories in vs. calories out.
  • jennyjohnson69
    jennyjohnson69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have lost 21lbs and i do zero excersie as i sit on my bum all day in an office and i am to lazy to go the gym. I have lost weight every week :-). just adjust your settings to sedetary and DO NOT go over you daily goal. Ive now been maintaining for a month and thats with increasing from 1400 cals per day to 1800 cals per day. MFP best ever. good look, dont over think the situation, just dont go over and you will either lose or maintain depending on your goal. good luck
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    While I'm not a truck driver, I have had many days of just driving and driving in the car. I definitely agree with the not mindlessly eating (what nxd10 meant by "snacking"). It is so easy to just munch as you drive and similar to when you munch as you watch television, the food just disappears. Eating while you drive works well though to keep you awake and alert with small bouts of calories all day, rather than large meals, so it's good, but it's also bad as it's easy to eat too much. What I do is to plan out my days eating and stops (usually for me every 2-4 hours based on the time of day) in advance, keep my large cache of food as far away from me as possible, plenty of water near me, and then when I stop I move the next meal or snack forward to where I can reach it and munch on it. When it's gone, it's gone, until my next planned stop.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    basically have to keep doing what you are doing. Lifestyle change. I have to be very focused and very cautious. 85% gain their weight back, this is why. Kept mine off 4 years so far
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Most gain it back because most have picked a course of action that isn't very sustainable.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Stay away from truckstops - they have very good food, but large potions. I used to be married to a truck driver and I would go with him alot. The schedule is hectic and we usually would only have time to stop for one meal a day. We would buy snacks for the rest of the day to eat in the truck. The only exercise we got was running from the truck to the rest stop in bad weather (the truck lots are large) and maybe we stayed at a motel with a pool then I would swim. Good luck to ya!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I think you just got to do what you can do, when you have windows of opportunity. Snacking will probably be your main enemy, so figure a way to keep that in check, and you should be a good way towards keeping the weight off.

Also, maybe you can look at reverse dieting towards the end of your weight loss, so as to bring up your maintenance calories a little to compensate for the reduction in activity level the job change will bring..
  • anphi14
    anphi14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    only time will tell but if you're transitioning to a driving job--concentrate on improving your posture and strengthening your core to protect your back. Disc herniations are very common in people who drive for work and they can be debilitating.

This is very true. I am only 22 with a desk job and I really hurt my back I think with poor posture..I didn't even realize how bad it was until I started consciously sitting up straighter.
  • nxd10
    Options
    I got a pilates ball chair and it has SO improved my core muscles and posture. Now even while I'm driving I sit up straight and don't lean back.