Anyone work at a gym?

Options
leadslinger17
leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
Just curious what it's like, and how you like it. It would seem it could be fun to work with other fitness-minded people, probably flexible schedule, and getting a chance to work out should be easy. What are the downsides?

Replies

• woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I do! I'm the fitness director at a college rec center. In general the downsides (and upsides) depend on the position you're in. Feel free to PM me, let me know what you're thinking about doing, and I'll offer my professional opinion. I don't like to trash the industry publicly because there are some really positive things about it, hence the PM instead of a forum reply. :)
  • k8dagr8
    k8dagr8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was a personal trainer for 4 years before getting my bachelors in health and PE. Not everyone is the gym is fitness minded so you have to be ready for frustration and disappointment but for every person that you do get to assist with improving their life it makes it worth it---but sometimes they are few and far between. And like many industries now a days you have to worry about liability so that stunts you a bit too. But I loved it.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I dont work at the gym, but it looks like it would be an easy fun job. Our gym mainly employs local college students and all they do is work out or sit in the office and talk. Occasionally I see them folding the towels. But thats about it.. I havent seen a woman employee in there yet, only men.
  • mightygirlruns
    Options
    Downsides: low pay, working holidays, cleaning up after other people, attitudes of customers
  • the_m0tivat0r
    Options
    I do been a personal trainer for a few years.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    It depends on your position and the gym.

My ex is a trainer at a gym I used to go to. And he was constantly busy during working hours. And outside of his hours as well - but he brought that on himself.

But there's the desk people at that gym who don't really seem to do too much. Just give tours, make the smoothies, greet people, etc. They have a separate cleaning crew.

And now, I'm a member of a Planet Fitness to use their treadmills during crappy weather (I have a power rack and no room for my own treadmill at home) and the people at the desk greet, sign in people, sign people up, give tours, and do the cleaning as well - mopping, trash, etc.

And another gym I was a member of, I'm not sure what the desk people did besides talk to some of the regulars. I saw the owner cleaning once or twice... But that's it