Belt slipping on treadmill - could it be my form?

Options
I have had my treadmill for less than a year but my parents bought it pre-owned a few years ago (so it's been around the block), from what I understand it really hasn't been used a whole lot. I usually walk on it with no problems at all but last night I started couch to 5K and as soon as I started jogging the belt began to slip or skip, it was really scary so I stopped. I raised the incline and lowered the speed then I tried again, no luck. However, once I tried being conscious of my form and correcting it the best I know how, it stopped acting up. I'm just wondering if I should start shopping around now for a new one or if anyone can vouch for form possibly being the cause of this.

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adjusting the tension? Usually two screws in the rear. Tighten them the same number of turns assuming the belt has been running true down the middle. Make the adjustments in small increments.
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't think your form could cause a treadmill belt to start slipping/skipping. It might be wise to either look into getting it fixed or get a new one. If you must use it, use it with caution - my mom's treadmill started doing the same thing, and she messed up her knee really bad from a particularly bad skip.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried looking at it too much as it was late in the evening when I finally decided to exercise. I'll have my husband look at it today, thank you for the tip.

Luna, I'm sorry your mom was hurt, that sounds very painful and actually now that you said that I could see where it could definitely cause an injury :/
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I doubt form is the cause. There's one treadmill at the gym that I just don't use because the belt slips. I think it just happens over time, and adjusting the belt is just maintenance on the treadmill.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You need to wax the board in which the belt goes around. We were having issues and the tech asked me if I had been waxing it. We got a stick on the internet that has wax on it and you just stick it under the belt and turn it on, and move the stick back and forth like brushing teeth.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    You need to tighten the belt
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Check to see if Youtube has a video on tightening the belt for your model.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Have you tried adjusting the tension? Usually two screws in the rear. Tighten them the same number of turns assuming the belt has been running true down the middle. Make the adjustments in small increments.

Ever hear a car with a squealing timing belt? It's because the belt is worn or the idler is loose. Pretty much the same thing here. If it's relatively "unused" as you say it is, my money is that the belt is loose.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You can't cause a treadmill problems with bad form. If you don't want to pay for a new one, maybe try incline walking on it instead.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going outside?
  • LeenaJean
    Options
    Oh wow, I feel kinda silly. I guess I could have imagined that a treadmill needs maintenance I just never thought about it :/ I'm going to look into tightening the belt. I was hoping it was one of those 'fixed itself' kinda issues :P
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »

+1

• LeenaJean
    Options
    Have you tried going outside?
    I don't live in the best neighborhood and I have my 1 year old son until my husband comes home from work in the evening.