Abnormal Pap Smear and I'm Scared

Options
I have an account here, but I'm creating this post anonymously. I just got a call from planned parenthood where I recently had a pap test done and just received a call that the results came back abnormal and I have to go back in for further testing. Does this happen often? I'm afraid of what this might mean.

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Fairly often.

I had one about 10 years ago or so. They took a few cells to biopsy. Then they did a LEEP procedure on me. From my understanding, the LEEP is an electric impulse used to remove the top layer of cells where the abnormal cells were found.

No need to be alarmed just yet. Abnormal can be any number of things, it just is an indicator that they need to look closer.

ETA: I've not had any other abnormal paps since that time. I do have a friend who's had a few - still never been cancerous though.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Keep calm Sweetie! Unfortunately its quite common for them to come back abnormal. Rarely is there anything after a second test.
    Almost every single woman I know has had at least one come back like that. It ends up being nothing.
    Also, HPV can make the test come back abnormal.
    Don't stress. Your Dr will be able to answer all your questions when you go back in.

Prayers are with you!
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    I've had a few come back with abnormal results - and non of the recalls were anything to worry about. Sometimes it just means there aren't enough cells to do a proper check and simple stuff like that.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Fairly often.
    Yep. Don't panic yet. I had an abnormal pap about 10 years ago as well. They will probably do a colposcopy on you, which is similar to a pap but they take a bigger sample to test your cells. Mine came back positive on the colposcopy, and I had a procedure to freeze the abnormal cells. Everything's been perfect since.
  • celtickarasu
    Options
    This happened to me once, but that was because when I made an appointment, the nurse didn't tell me not to come if I was menstruating. I have an extremely unpredictable period, so even if she had told me, I couldn't have controlled that. The doctor went ahead and did the pap smear, which came back abnormal, but she said that could have been because I was menstruating that day. My follow-up pap smear was clean. Good luck.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Ive had an abnormal pap for the past two years.....ever since my daughter was born. It will be okay :)
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Abnormal is nothing to get alarmed about yet. I had an abnormal pap a few years ago. They might just repeat the pap to see if it comes back abnormal again. Mine came back clean on the re-test. If it's abnormal again, they do a biopsy. A biopsy will give better insight, and then you could have something to worry about. For now, don't get too excited.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    DONT STRESS! IT HAPPENS OFTEN! THEY WILL RETEST YOU!
  • PrincessKittenpants
    Options
    That has happened to me before. I think the common thing that happens is that you get your pap done too close to menstration so the cells are just a little funky. I would try to think positively until you have a reason to worry. I had to have a little procedure done too. I took one of my girlfriends with me and she literally held my hand. I would be lying if I said it didn't hurt a little but it was all for the greater good of my health *hugs*
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    please try not to worry.. i know its difficult. this happened to me and i had to go for a colposcopy which showed everything was ok and normal. i'm not sure how common it is for the tests to show up abnormalities, but it is why we have them done after all is sed and done. don't ignore the call back... go for the other tests and good luck. (by the way i am also a 9 year survivor of breast cancer)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    HPV can make the test come back abnormal.

this is SUPER SUPER common. Try to reassure yourself, because the chances of it being bad, scary news is VERY slim.
  • pjd1973
    pjd1973 Posts: 37
    Options
    Fairly often.

I had one about 10 years ago or so. They took a few cells to biopsy. Then they did a LEEP procedure on me. From my understanding, the LEEP is an electric impulse used to remove the top layer of cells where the abnormal cells were found.

No need to be alarmed just yet. Abnormal can be any number of things, it just is an indicator that they need to look closer.

ETA: I've not had any other abnormal paps since that time. I do have a friend who's had a few - still never been cancerous though.

I had the same thing and was also told that it is common. As a matter of fact that same year my sister had the same thing. Both of us are just fine today. No more problems at all.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    It happend very often. I am saying don't worry, but not don't worry like not to follow up, but don't panic. I have had one abnormal pap smear, like you, and I went had a follow up done and it was fine. That was 20 years ago and I have never had another abnormal one since. I think most people have had at least one abnormal pap smear at one point or another.

Best wishes.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Don't get too scared all at once. It happens often. An abnormal result could be the result of scarring or any number of other issues It doesn't mean it HAS to be something negative. Go back and get the follow-up testing done. Find out what you're dealing with before you panic.
    ~Namaste
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    This is a common. Don't stress over something that is unknown.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    ive had 2 abnormal paps and they were not big deals,i also had a leep which is not as bad as it sounds
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i use to get them when i would forget and have sex the night before, LOL!
  • afraidone
    afraidone Posts: 3
    Options
    You wonderful women are making me feel so much better. I'm scheduled to go back in for further testing in ten days, but I've never had any worries like this and it scares me. Thank you for reassuring me.
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had one a few years back and I had to have some pre-cancerous cells removed and I have not had another one since then. I am not trying to scare you because I was super scared when it happened to me, but when I started telling people about it I was told by a lot of other girls that they had to have the same thing done and it was actually pretty common. I had the LEEP procedure and a colposcopy (<----SPELLING) done.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have had two come back abnormal at random times over the past 10 years. Each time it ended up being nothing. 9 times out of 10 they just need to double check to be on the safe side. Which is a good thing! This happens all the time, so i wouldn't worry too much