Heart Rate Monitor / Calorie Tracker / All Day Long Tracking

Options
I'm looking for an affordable all day long heart rate monitor. My trainer mentioned Polar, like the FT4 or FT7, but I can't see if they will work all day long. I do run, but I have a Garmin for that with GPS. I really just need the best, most affordable, longest lasting all day long HRM with calorie burning estimation.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There aren't a lot of options in the "all-day-long" heart rate monitor category right now. Most HRMs are focused on workouts, not monitoring all day. My suggestion is to look at the Basis Peak (www.mybasis.com).
  • emyloohootoo
    emyloohootoo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    There aren't a lot of options in the "all-day-long" heart rate monitor category right now. Most HRMs are focused on workouts, not monitoring all day. My suggestion is to look at the Basis Peak (www.mybasis.com).

Thanks - checking it out now!

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    HRMs for calorie burns aren't that great at giving an accurate calorie burn if used for anything outside of a steady state cardio session. The industry seems to be making strides in improving them, especially with the newer wearable HRM/activity trackers that use light to measure your pulse. The battery life won't be so good if you have the HRM portion turned on all of the time, though, and I don't know how accurate even those are over a whole day period.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    All, I have the same question as I would like to look into getting an HRM. Does anyone know if the Basis or Polar products sync with MFP? That would be a huge benefit... to get a more accurate calorie adjustment for the entire day. I use my Fitbit for that, but there are obviously limitations to that.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    All, I have the same question as I would like to look into getting an HRM. Does anyone know if the Basis or Polar products sync with MFP? That would be a huge benefit... to get a more accurate calorie adjustment for the entire day. I use my Fitbit for that, but there are obviously limitations to that.

As far as I'm aware the Basis products do not. One of the primary complaints regarding Basis at this point is that it's a bit of a "walled garden" right now. That's all software so it could change at any time though.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It looks like FitBit is releasing a 24/7 HRM early next year, so I think I'll wait. I realize that accuracy will be less when not exercising, but will be an improvement over zero data that I have now.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Agree with others, the Polar HRMs (or all HRMs as far as I know) don't do well with all day calorie burn. I have a Fitbit that I wear 24/7 that does a great job of the all day calorie burn, plus does well with step-based activities like walking & running. I also have a Polar FT4 that I wear when I do cardio that the Fitbit doesn't do well at. I manually add that exercise to the Fitbit site, which is synced with MFP and does calorie adjustments based on my daily burn. My Polar was about $65 and the Fitbit $100 (a gift.) I like having both.
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the Polar or the FitBit products; but, I recently purchased a Garmin Forerunner watch (FR 15) for my son. It appears to be a 24 hr, wearable tracker that also is a GPS watch (GPS & HRM). He just received it yesterday afternoon; so, I don't have any feedback for how well it functions.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    No HRM will be good for measuring calorie burn throughout the day.
    HRMs measure only one thing, and that's your heart rate. The calorie expenditure do to volume load placed on your heart during steady state aerobic exercise (55% Max < HR < 75% Max) is calculated from fairly understood principles. Measuring your HR during non-aerobic activity is all but useless for calculating calorie burns.