Making frozen microwaveable steamed vegetables not boring

Options
2»

Replies

• victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I was going to suggest stir fry. Why isn't stir fry healthy?

Well I'm sure it can be but the way I learned is not. If you know a healthy way to make it that is still strongly flavored I'd be down to try it but when I have tried to make it without drowning it in sauce it was bland for me. Based on other recipes I try from the internet I think I have an extreme idea of what is bland from being spoiled to louisiana food. Not bland but when I started making calorie listings for my moms recipes I was horrified.

Edit: by unhealthy I mean my fingers swell from sodium the day after I make stir fry. Also when I eat sushi. I'm 23 and my fingers swell uncomfortably from soy sauce wth
    JoRocka wrote: »
    mizzzc wrote: »
    All I do is buy bag of frozen green beans and measure out however much I want, then pan fry on high for 1 min each side. once they're nice and crispy I turn the heat down all the way and add a clove of crushed garlic and tbls of low sodium soya sauce or kraft oregano and feta dressing. So good!!!

wait- the bag isn't one serving size?

I don't know about her but I get 6 lb bags that have 6 1lb bags inside that you microwave. So mine are def not one serving lol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Well I'm sure it can be but the way I learned is not. If you know a healthy way to make it that is still strongly flavored I'd be down to try it but when I have tried to make it without drowning it in sauce it was bland for me. Based on other recipes I try from the internet I think I have an extreme idea of what is bland from being spoiled to louisiana food. Not bland but when I started making calorie listings for my moms recipes I was horrified.

I season mine with dry seasonings and peppers, then just before serving stir in a little corn starch disolved in water. That thickens into a sauce flavored by whatever seasonings I've used.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Well I'm sure it can be but the way I learned is not. When I have tried to make it without drowning it in sauce it was bland for me.

Edit: by unhealthy I mean my fingers swell from sodium the day after I make stir fry. Also when I eat sushi. I'm 23 and my fingers swell uncomfortably from soy sauce wth
    All I do is buy bag of frozen green beans and measure out however much I want, then pan fry on high for 1 min each side. once they're nice and crispy I turn the heat down all the way and add a clove of crushed garlic and tbls of low sodium soya sauce or kraft oregano and feta dressing. So good!!!

I don't know about her but I get 6 lb bags that have 6 1lb bags inside that you microwave. So mine are def not one serving lol.
    I buy steamables- and they are say there are 3 servings in there- but whatever- 1 bag = 1 serving.. unless it's a family size- but usually they don't have family size steamables.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Well I'm sure it can be but the way I learned is not. When I have tried to make it without drowning it in sauce it was bland for me.

I buy steamables- and they are say there are 3 servings in there- but whatever- 1 bag = 1 serving.. unless it's a family size- but usually they don't have family size steamables.
    This brand is flav r pac. I like making a pound at once because I'm more likely to eat healthy if its already prepared. I try to do the every sunday thing but it ends up being sort of half assed usually
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lol- It would never make a week- I'd it all in one serving. I love veggies.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    sriracha and rice, soups, stir fry, pasta with veggies
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You can roast veggies as well straight from a frozen bag. Dump on a baking sheet, spray or drizzle some olive oil and add your seasonings. Preheat oven to 385 and cook till veggies are getting brown and crispy
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I go ahead and steam them in the microwave to cook most of the way through but for just under the amount of time, then sautee them in a pan with olive oil and other seasonings (garlic, ginger, soy for stir fry or garlic, minced onion, rosemary for Italian). I add them to soups, I have bought the basic frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots, corn) and used that for easier Chicken Pot Pie and Shepherd's Pie.

• CamilleNoemi
    CamilleNoemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I mostly use frozen veggies, they are cheap and you can keep them for weeks in your freezer. I tend to just use salt and pepper, a lot of pepper, and I really like them this way.

Today I had red bell peppers, just fried in the pan without any additional oil. They get a nice roasted flavour to them this way.

And garlic, garlic makes everything 100x better ;)
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xpiratebarbiex
    xpiratebarbiex Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I mostly use frozen veggies, they are cheap and you can keep them for weeks in your freezer. I tend to just use salt and pepper, a lot of pepper, and I really like them this way.

Today I had red bell peppers, just fried in the pan without any additional oil. They get a nice roasted flavour to them this way.

And garlic, garlic makes everything 100x better ;)

exactly I'm the same way and I find this to be freaking scrumptious. I do a little Smart Balance pan spray, toss in the veggies while they are still frozen and add a little salt, quite a bit of pepper, and a couple fresh cloves of garlic and I cook until they get some browning on them. I go a little higher than medium heat and it only takes a few mins. I do this every morning as I get ready cuz you can walk away for a few mins to get dressed. Then for my meal prep I throw some chicken strips or some other meaty thing on top, pack it and go. 3 mins in the microwave at lunch and its awesome tasting. garlic is the secret

• KFL130
    KFL130 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I usually put soy sauce (or tamari) and five spice, or garlic and onion powder.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There are a gazillion recipes out there.

If you don't have the time, energy or inclination to do much, sprinkle different kinds of Mrs. Dash on it for flavoring. :)

Mrs. Dash is a really simple way to get some flavoring when you are feeling lazy. Btdt. :)
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Sriracha is the spice of life.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I really like the miso gravy found on the veggie dragon bowls. If you use a recipe without peanut butter, it is pretty low calorie. You could even omit all oil except the sesame oil if the calories is a huge issue, but made as is it makes veggies and a sweet potato seem like a meal! Here's my favorite recipe: http://www.poppytalk.com/2010/06/rich-hearty-healthy-tangy-miso-gravy.html

• curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Good thread!

I really can't be bothered with doing too much extra work, but my current combo is veg in the microwave with a bit of water- so i have a soupy bit at the bottom; and then add some cottage cheese with piri piri hot sauce.

And i might mix things up with the addition of eggs, or lentil left overs, OR salsa.