Anyone else under 5ft, maintaining & lifting?

I'm interested in connecting up with other vertically challenged people in a similar situation to me.

It's a long shot, but worth a try lol

I'm 4'9 (145cm), mid-30's, mother of two, work from home running my own business and I've been maintaining my weight loss for over 12 months now.

I lift weights with a squat rack setup in my garage, and I haven't come across too many people as small as me that lift as well. I know a couple - and they're already on my friend's list here lol

If this sounds like you (hey, I won't be 'height-ist', you can be above 5ft too LOL), let me know so I can add you to my friend's list. I'm around aaaalllllll the time, so if you don't mind chatting about coffee, food and getting fit while looking after the family, I'd love to add you :smile:

Replies

• Wills820
    Wills820 Posts: 32 Member
    I'm 5'2" and started lifting heavy last spring. While I love the strength and confidence that comes with it, I actually put on weight and filled out my pants a bit. Unfortunately the body comp is quite where I'd like it to be...would love to share experiences!
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm 4'11" and will be 50 this summer. I work full time, we have 3 adult kids, and just welcomed a beautiful granddaughter to the family. My goal is to hit 50 at the healthiest and fittest I have ever been. I have been working with light Dumbbells but starting in the new year I want to push it. I bought a small weight bench that came with 2-25 lb and 2-15 lbs plates to get me started. I can buy more weights as I progress. I am working on my last 5 lbs to lose and want to start working on muscle now. I really need to work upper body strength.
    Feel free to add me if you like.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm 5'3", but my lifting buddy is several inches shorter than me. I'm guessing she may be around 4'10" or 11", but not sure. Anyways, we lift together, a version of Stronglifts 5x5. She is better at bench and deadlift, but not by much. We squat and OHP about the same. Working weights: 90bench, 125 squat, 55 OHP, 135-155 deadlift and around 65-70 row. To echo Kenda above, she just turned 49 and wants 50 to be her healthiest and fittest:)
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Awesomeness :smile: Adding you all now :smile:
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    I'm 5 feet but have yet to get to the heavy stuff but I know I need to. I see good body recomp with what I've been doing so I expect the heavier I go the better the recomp will be.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm 5'1" and am working on the first stage of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I bought a 105-lb set of adjustable dumbbells and lift at home so far with those; once/if they turn out to not be enough weight, I have a gym nearby with several of what I think are squat racks (I've never been in a gym in my life!! I mainly exercise outdoors, which is why I've never been to a gym).

I am trying to lose the last pound or two (I like myself at 102 or so) and once there, will be maintaining and making a major effort to lift regularly. At the moment I lift twice a week. And soon I will be working from home too-- several different part-time jobs combining into full-time work, from home-- no driving, yay!

*If anyone wants to send me a friend request, please include a message! I don't accept FRs without a message unless I can figure out why the person wants to be friends.*
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    5' here. I lift in my basement. Not currently tracking calories, but I do track my workouts here. I'm still hoping to lose a few more pounds, but am doing really well at maintenance...
  • dnamouse
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    *If anyone wants to send me a friend request, please include a message! I don't accept FRs without a message unless I can figure out why the person wants to be friends.*

I like you :smile:

Adding a few more now :smiley:

• Wills820
    Wills820 Posts: 32 Member
    This is a great thread - any other short ladies have difficulty getting the right body composition (i.e. gaining an unwanted bit of fat) while wanting to get stronger?
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    I'm 5'0 and lifting using the Madcow program. I'm reverse dieting to find my maintenance now. Feel free to add me :)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    I'm 5"2 but haven't begun lifting yet. The new year I plan to get into it for real.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    I'm 5'2" and I've been attempting to maintain for the past four years (after a loss of over 40 lbs), but some of the weight has crept back on. (Currently at 130, but I got down to 112 initially. 120 would probably be a better maintenance weight for me). I started some resistance training toward the end of my losing period, but it was more circuit/metabolic type training with weights. A little less than a year ago I turned my focus to lifting heavier. I use dumbells (I have sets up to 20 lbs), and I have been doing a full body dumbell program three days a week. Recently, I added more weight and dropped the reps so I am doing 3 sets of 6 of each exercise. For most of the upper body stuff, the 20 lb set is still a challenge, but I am ready to get some 25 lb and 30 lb bells for my legs! On my Christmas list. I need to work out from home for family reasons, and I don't have the space for any kind of barbell system, so I am doing what I can!

I do believe that my legs (upper) and butt have increased a little with my "unintentional bulk", and I hope that part of that is muscle! I would like to drop 10 lbs, though, and continue to recomp a bit.

I'd love to have some of you short people as friends!

Also, does anyone have any exercises to effectively add some muscle/size to the calf muscles? Mine are sooo wimpy, and a with the added thigh and booty bulk, I need something to even the figure out a bit!
  • YAY for 'FUN SIZE" <3

I'm 4'10", 44, & have been maintaining since 8/2013.

Although I do not lift per say I have incorporated some weight bearing exercises and I'm LOVING the body definition ... albeit it's a tediously slow process. lol
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    I'm 61 & 5' 2". I love weight lifting. Been maintaining awhile now. Love friends who like to lift.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Hi!!! I'm 5 feet (hence my name ) :p anyway I love to lift although I've slacked a bit recently but would love more friends from you shorties!!!! also a massage therapist so maybe can help with general muscle questions

<3
    Ang
  • dnamouse
    Back again! Sorry, I disappeared into the mountains for Christmas and had very limited access to the internet.

It's so cool to see more small people who lift! I'm having this week off, but I'll be back at it on Monday morning :smile:

• SativaMad
    SativaMad Posts: 171 Member
    edited December 2014
    I must say some very motivational people on here, pushing hard..

Plus Short ladies have it easier to shape and form there bodies.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    I am 4'9, would like to lose another pound or two (basically maintenance though) and I've been trying to lift more/make a routine.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Difficult to tell whether that post is supposed to be deliberately creepy Bob or just disrespectful.