Sample workout plan- My routine

Options
AlinaRose17
AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I had made a few "Intro to Lifting" type posts and I know that they were a barrage of information and that they were far from all-inclusive. I promised to share my routine. I am currently alternating between an upper/lower split and a 2 on/1 off/2 on, etc. plan that allows me for more time to work on other things and pursue my personal trainer certification while still keeping a good workout schedule. When I say "1 off", it can be either cardio only or off completely. When I lift, I am usually in the gym for close to two hours, so doing cardio for only 30-45 minutes still gets me out of there quick enough to do other things.

Lets get started-

Chest and Back
Cardio- 15min warmup, usually walking/jogging on treadmill
Barbell Bench Press- 6 sets- not including one warm up with bar 15-20 reps. One warm up of 10 reps and 5 sets of 5 reps
Incline Dumbbell Press- 5 sets, 6-8 reps
Low Cable Crossover OR Cable Crossover- 4 sets, 8-10 reps
Butterfly OR Straight arm pullover- 4 sets, 8-10 reps
Pullups OR Bent over Barbell Row- 5 sets of 5 reps
V-Bar pulldown OR Reverse grip pulldown- 5 sets of 10 reps
Bent over two-arm long bar row OR Seated cable row- 5 sets of 8 reps
(Lower) Back extensions- 5 sets of 10 reps

Legs and Arms
Barbell Squat- 6 sets- not including one warm up with bar 15-20 reps. One warm up of 10 reps and 5 sets of 8-10 reps. *Sometimes substituted for Plie/Sumo squats with 15 reps per set*
Leg Extensions OR Leg Press- 4 sets of 15-20 reps
Lying Leg Curls OR Reverse lunges- 4 sets of 10reps (or 20 steps if lunges)
One-legged cable kickback OR One-legged deadlift- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
*Sometimes include Stiff leg or Romanian Deadlift instead of previous exercise, 5 sets of 8 reps*
Smith Machine Calf raise OR Seated Calf raise- 5 sets of 15-20 reps
Close Grip EZ-Bar Press- 5 sets of 8-10 reps
Standing Overhead Barbell Triceps Extensions- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
V-bar pushdown OR Reverse Grip Straight bar pulldowns- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
EZ-Bar Curl- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Standing preacher curl over bench OR Alternating Curls/Hammers/21's- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Overhead Cable Curl OR Incline seated curls- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Seated Palm-up OR Palm-down EZ-Bar wrist curls- 4 sets of 10-12 reps

Cardio/Rest Day
30 to 45 minutes of HIIT or endurance cardio, usually on elliptical

Shoulders and Abs
Seated/Standing Barbell Press- 5 sets of 8-10 reps
Superset of One-Arm Side Laterals and Standing Dumbbell Straight-arm front delt raise above head- 4 sets of 10 reps and 8 reps, respectively.
Dumbbell Shoulder Press OR Arnold Press- 5 sets of 6-8 reps
Bent over OR seated rear-delt raise- 4sets of 10-12 reps
Dumbbell shrug OR Upright row- 5 sets of 10-12 reps
Ab circuit- 4 sets of 10-15 reps, choice of Flat bench lying leg raise, knee raise in Capt. Chair, or hanging leg raise for lower abs/ Landmine 180's,Russian Twists, or Bicycle crunches for obliques/Rope Crunch, Exercise ball crunch, or Ab crunch machine for upper abs.

*Repeat routine from above, but inserting a cardio/rest day after every two consecutive days of lifting. Be sure to alternate exercises frequently and try new ones from time to time*

Regardless of my training split, these are the exercises that I consistently stick to and have made the most gains with. I hope this helps someone out there!

Replies

• AlinaRose17
    Options
    Bump
  • cindynhderby7
    Options
    Hi Romey84! I have a question since you seem to know about lifting. I just started crossfit but I also like to run. How do you think I should scale the two? I don't want to over do it. When you started strength training how many days of week did you do it? Sorry for the questions but I'm new on FP . Thanks!
  • AlinaRose17
    Options
    I think that strength training 4-5 days a week with cardio for 3-4 is a great way to get build lean muscle while still keeping lean. Different techniques seem to work better for different people as everyone's metabolism works differently, but this might be a pretty safe place to start. =)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Hi Romey84! I have a question since you seem to know about lifting. I just started crossfit but I also like to run. How do you think I should scale the two? I don't want to over do it. When you started strength training how many days of week did you do it? Sorry for the questions but I'm new on FP . Thanks!

What type of cardio? CF is largely going to draw energy from aerobic metabolism, so you probably do not need to do additional cardio that replicates the same. You just started CF so you don't know how it's going to fully affect your recovery yet, so add slowly. Remember, there is no such thing as 110%, that math doesn't even make sense. Your body can give 100% and then it's done. Assess what are your exercise goals and adjust from there. You will likely have to reduce one or the other (CF / running) to maintain the other.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Personally I think training back and chest on the same day is a bad idea.

By the time you are done with chest your glycogen stores will be running low and you will be fairly fatigued meaning your back doesn't get anywhere near as good a workout as it could

However, this is just my opinion, if you feel it doesn't hold back your back workout then by all means carry on!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    Personally I think training back and chest on the same day is a bad idea.

By the time you are done with chest your glycogen stores will be running low and you will be fairly fatigued meaning your back doesn't get anywhere near as good a workout as it could

However, this is just my opinion, if you feel it doesn't hold back your back workout then by all means carry on!

There's no problem in training both in the same session. Assuming nutrition is adequate ATP-PC stores are replenished in approximately 3-minutes. The Chest & Back have an antagonist / agonist relationship in that a prime mover of one exercise is a supporting muscle in the other (i.e. bench press / barbell row) of the other, so there's good synergy in training both. The question comes in the "how" are you training both? Different acute training variables influence recovery and training in different ways; it's all in how you structure your training. It's not just about pairing exercise A with exercise B.
  • AlinaRose17
    Options
    ^^^That is my logic. When you are working one, you are stretching the other. Arnold used to train this way very frequently for this very reason, as well.
  • AlinaRose17
    Options
    Also, creatine helps. =)
  • cindynhderby7
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

What type of cardio? CF is largely going to draw energy from aerobic metabolism, so you probably do not need to do additional cardio that replicates the same. You just started CF so you don't know how it's going to fully affect your recovery yet, so add slowly. Remember, there is no such thing as 110%, that math doesn't even make sense. Your body can give 100% and then it's done. Assess what are your exercise goals and adjust from there. You will likely have to reduce one or the other (CF / running) to maintain the other.

So what your saying is do a lot of both
  • cindynhderby7
    Options
    Lol jk thanks for the advice guys!