My gym found a way to encourage us to never overuse a spotter

Options
I had another discussion today with the gym management. Apparently they feel that space is limited, so they put two benches basically back to back. There is no way for a spotter to get behind you when you are bench pressing ( for either bench obviously) because there is no room.

The only way a spotter can help you cheat is if they straddle you... I find it amusing, but a bit disturbing..

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So the gym has no respect for safety?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Seriously, that sounds pretty crappy.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Yea, that's a problem
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    They'll be sued as soon as someone drops a bar on their chest
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    And this is why it is harder than most people think to run a successful business. These gym owners may have business sense but they clearly know nothing about actual lifting and safety. Wow. I hope enough people bring this to their attention and they make some changes BEFORE someone gets hurt.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness?
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Planet fitness?

haha, I wish.. no, this is just a dirty gym in Nicaragua.
  • cindynhderby7
    Options
    Yes, that's a bit awkward lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the only benefit I see is if a smoking hot chick is spotting you ..other than that, that blows…get a new gym...
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ive never ever ever used a spotter, If you cant handle the weight safely then don't use it, no one needs to test 1RM every time they hit the gym unless your a tool bag showing off all the time

And never put collars on the bar, that way if you get stuck under you can tip the weight off

• RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    That sounds disturbing as a lot of people have no common sense.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Are the benches stationary? We move ours around all the time to accommodate.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Sydking wrote: »
    Ive never ever ever used a spotter, If you cant handle the weight safely then don't use it, no one needs to test 1RM every time they hit the gym unless your a tool bag showing off all the time

And never put collars on the bar, that way if you get stuck under you can tip the weight off

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous statement. Anyone can fail on a lift at any time, whether it's a 1RM or a weight they've lifted dozens of times without incident. Not to mention that lifting heavier weights and challenging oneself is how people get stronger - that means progressive loading and the possibility that you won't be able to complete all your reps and/or sets, necessitating a spotter. Thinking the only time people should need spotters is for 1RM is ludicrous and unsafe.
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    giggitygoo wrote: »
    Are the benches stationary? We move ours around all the time to accommodate.

No, but they are framed very heavy. That is what the argument was about with management because I move them myself and it is a pain.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Planet fitness?

The PF my wife goes to doesn't even have a bench. I don't think that fits their demo or biz model
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Nothing makes you get the weight up like knowing its' all you.
    Nothing is more stupid either.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Yea, that's a problem

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I'm impressed, this is the most ignorant thing I've read tonight.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I'm impressed, this is the most ignorant thing I've read tonight.

I suspect a hint of sarcasm in his typing but it is difficult to determine that online.