Organ transplant

Options
Has anyone had an organ transplant and finding it hard now to lose weight? I had a liver transplant almost 8 years ago. I'm doing great but the only problem is losing weight is a lot harder for me now then it was before the transplant. Was just wondering if anyone else could relate?

Looking to meet new friends as well for motivation.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,126 Member
    Options
    That's gonna be a pretty small club. Congrats on getting the liver and your continued success.
  • kidneyboy1
    kidneyboy1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I had a kidney transplant 12 years ago and I've always had weight problems with up and downs. Depends on how much meds you are on for one thing. Other than that I would see your doctor and ask.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    are you sure it is correlated to the liver transplant?

could it be that you are 8 years older so weight loss is just harder? I know that is a common problem, the younger you are the easier it is to lose, the older you are the harder.
  • mrsknight1979
    mrsknight1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know when you get older it is harder to lose weight and I'm sure that is part of the problem. My main problem is the steriods I'm on for the transplant though and since they increase your appetite thats where my problem is.
  • DONNA10044
    DONNA10044 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had heart and lung tx 7 yrs ago and weight has been a constant battle with the prednisone keeping it and trying to lose the 30 PDs I have put on it just won't go it's almost like metabo shut down :(
  • Maputi
    Maputi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes they do! I have never been so hungry in my life. My stomach is full but I feel like I am starving. Try drinking a lot of water and going to the bathroom before you eat. That helps me....sometimes.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    THREAD NECRO!!!!!

Liver TX here -- autoimmune hep. Feb 2011.

While this thread was started, I was just getting diagnosed with post transplant lymphoma. The last post was when treatment and was in a period of cyclical neutropenia... ugh. *shudder*

the anti reject meds, etc do make it harder to lose weight (weight gain is a common side effect). As D10044 notes, pred is particuarly tough.

and i know kimmer isn't ever gonna read this but: Go play dr house somewhere else and leave talk like this to those who have an iota of a clue. k thx bye
  • 69mqfzfkgy
    69mqfzfkgy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m a new Kidney transplant patient that is also struggling with weight it’s been increasing ever since the transplant :/ My doctor said to watch it but that didn’t make me feel so good about it since i’m trying to feel comfortable in my new skin