Is it ok to do light weight training when I wake up and on an empty stomach?

Options
Is it ok to do light weight training when I wake up and on an empty stomach? I won't have time tomorrow to exercise in the afternoon so I was planing to do it early in the morning right when I wake up. All I was going to do was a few sets of 7 pound bicep curls and sumo-squats. Should I do that or try to wait until later on in the day?

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Yes it's fine.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Give it a try and see. I've done heavy triplet pulls first thing in the morning before, and it goes just fine as long as I've fueled properly the night before.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I lift - sometimes 1RMs or close - in the morning before eating anything. You'll be fine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It's even ok to do heavy weight training fasted.

Most of my recent PRs have come while fasted.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Totally fine.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Yep - I lift first thing in the am - before brekkie, but after water and tea.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yup, I regularly lift 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Not the end of the world.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I train every morning fasted. Research also shows it's fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted all the time. All out. No big deal. Eat afterwards. Ditch the 7lb curls for pullups if you want to get stronger.
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning, usually 5am. I try to eat a couple pieces of bread and a banana just to soak up the acid and it makes me feel better.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to do light weight training when I wake up and on an empty stomach? I won't have time tomorrow to exercise in the afternoon so I was planing to do it early in the morning right when I wake up. All I was going to do was a few sets of 7 pound bicep curls and sumo-squats. Should I do that or try to wait until later on in the day?

For that workout, yeah, totally fine.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's also completely fine to lift heavy weights on an empty stomach in the morning.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I work out fasted all the time. All out. No big deal. Eat afterwards. Ditch the 7lb curls for pullups if you want to get stronger.

You're assuming that they can do pull ups or even have the equipment to do that.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

You're assuming that they can do pull ups or even have the equipment to do that.

$20 for a pull up bar and a few bucks for a resistance band if assistance is needed. Not having the equipment is no excuse.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @PikaKnight you post too much. Give it a rest. :)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Research indicates that generally speaking, yes it is okay. But when it comes down to it, you need to figure out if it works well for you. Personally for me it does not work and I do better if I have a Gatorade or two before early morning training.
  • dbmata
    Options
    hahahaha, newb got game.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    hahahaha, newb got game.

Nah. Pretty sure it's that one guy who keeps making a bunch of accounts to do "gym selfie" threads and stuff.
  • dbmata
    Options
    hahahaha, newb got game.

Nah. Pretty sure it's that one guy who keeps making a bunch of accounts to do "gym selfie" threads and stuff.
    another steve/gale/kiyy/topaz w/e?

• PikaKnight
    Options
    hahahaha, newb got game.

another steve/gale/kiyy/topaz w/e?

:laugh: