Will I ever warm up?

Options
irishgal44
irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
I'm so happy I have shed this weight and continue to lose. HOWEVER, I cannot warm up. I think that nasty fat was insulating me pretty well. :noway: My question is, will I ever feel warm again? I'm serious people...obviously I will be warm now and then, but will I adjust to being comfortable again temperature wise like i was before? Does it take time for the human body to adjust to the loss of fat/insulation or is this something I will deal with as a result from weight loss?

Replies

• kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I am so in the same boat that you are ! I have a jacket that i wear at work because i am always so cold !
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Isn't being cold the worst? I hate it so much I now do the snowbird thing- 6 months in the Caribbean and 6 back on Cape Cod. I guess that isn't viable for everyone though. Lots of tea, spicy foods and a hot water bottle on my feet always helped.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's 80 deg out, and my office mate has a tantrum if the AC goes above 72. I'm sitting here wearing a wool sweater... yes, you read that right... WOOL SWEATER!!! Damn that insulating fat!
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    thank god for this post, i thought it was just me!!!, i cant not get warm :(

is it the water intake or the fat loss ??

Sarah x
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be cold so I can just wear layers! I would say that your circulation is poor if you're getting cold a lot. Just try to get up once per hour if you have a desk job and wear layers if you are cold inside.
  • irishgal44
    Options
    My kids say "Whoa, Mom your hands are freezing!!" I have two pair of fuzzy socks on right now in a pair of shoes and my toesies feel like little ice cubes. :) I know our weather outside is a bit damp right now...but goodness...my body better adjust soon cause I'm FREEEEEEEEEZING.
  • irishgal44
    Options
    I prefer to be cold so I can just wear layers! I would say that your circulation is poor if you're getting cold a lot. Just try to get up once per hour if you have a desk job and wear layers if you are cold inside.

I do home daycare and am chasing kids around all day. Hardly ever sit - wish that was a good solution. :ohwell:
  • khodges15
    khodges15 Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm alwayssss cold. It begins with my extremeties. Feet like ice. Fingers turn purple under the nail. Awesome. LOL
  • vdaniela3
    vdaniela3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry don't have anything to suggest. But since I've been taking better care of myself,I find I'm warmer,or not as cold as I was before I became more active.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

When you figure out how to stay warm, let the rest of us know! :wink:

I have been cold ever since I lost the weight. I don't drink a lot of water -- I am trying to increase that -- so I think it is just that my insulation is gone.

Kaye
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Are your iron and thyroid levels within normal limits?
  • irishgal44
    Options
    Are your iron and thyroid levels within normal limits?

Yes - just had them checked when I was dealing with all that other stuff a couple months ago. :grumble:

I run 3-4 miles 5 days a week...so it's not the active thing. Thinking it's the insulation thing. Summer can't come soon enough!!! I can't wait for a 90 degree day!!! LOL!!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Maybe, it's a circulation thing...
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I am always cold! The only time I wasn't was when I was way prego with my twins...then I was warm. I also lived in Phoenix too, so the desert might have had something to do with that.

I always have a sweater handy and rarely wear open toed shoes unless I will be outside. I never wear skirts/dresses because I'm just too cold. Even at home I generally have a blanket on me.
  • DebraBuschman
    DebraBuschman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was reading yesterday that overeating, at first, causes your body to try to get rid of excess calories by creating additional body heat. Basically, your body wants to stay at a certain weight, so if you overeat, it will try to waste energy/calories. (Eventually, you gain weight, though, and your body adjusts to its new weight, and wants to stay there.) So, if that is true, perhaps because you're not overeating you're not generating excess body heat, you feel like you are cold. Totally a theory - just thought I'd throw it out there. I stay cold, too... which is weird, I've been hot natured for so long. I've only lost 13 pounds, so I don't think I've lost enough for insulation, or lack thereof, to be the issue. Who knows? Being cold all the time is not fun, though. I do know that much! :)
  • irishgal44
    Options
    I was reading yesterday that overeating, at first, causes your body to try to get rid of excess calories by creating additional body heat. Basically, your body wants to stay at a certain weight, so if you overeat, it will try to waste energy/calories. (Eventually, you gain weight, though, and your body adjusts to its new weight, and wants to stay there.) So, if that is true, perhaps because you're not overeating you're not generating excess body heat, you feel like you are cold. Totally a theory - just thought I'd throw it out there. I stay cold, too... which is weird, I've been hot natured for so long. I've only lost 13 pounds, so I don't think I've lost enough for insulation, or lack thereof, to be the issue. Who knows? Being cold all the time is not fun, though. I do know that much! :)

What a great theory!!!! I am currently snuggled up on the couch with a blanket and my jacket on. I'm sure in time, I will warm up, right? :flowerforyou: :ohwell:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I sort of have this as well. It started because of a medication I was on when I started all this, but I am no longer on it and have not been for several weeks. I still get colder than I used to. It is not as bad as when I was on the med, but it is still there. I am looking forward to summer. I actually prefer being cold rather than hot all the time. I can always add cloths, but at a certain point I can't take any more off.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I was going to post just this this morning. I am so cold all the time since losing weight! I just can't seem to get warm, ever. Even sitting in the sun.
  • sarahq21
    sarahq21 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I seem to be always cold at the moment too... I was wearing 3 layers at work today while others were saying they were warm and wearing tshirts... I hope it goes away!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Part of the coldness is caused by losing body fat. That is unavoidable.

However, coldness when dieting could be an indication that your calorie deficit is on the high side. Obviously this will rectify itself when you start eating more and are maintaining.

In short, if you are not supplying your body with enough energy it will logically take steps to conserve what it has. This includes devoting less resources to non immediate life threatening functions like the circulatory system.

Ask someone with anorexia how warm they feel...Feeling cold all the time can also be a symptom of hyperthyroidism, diabetes, Raynauds but I doubt this is applicable to most people here.