Note to Self - Must Learn Patience & Persistence

Options
So I've been on MFP for over a year now and haven't really lost any weight.
I KNOW what to do I just hadn't been doing it so I've no-one to blame but myself.

Since the 1st Nov I've been really making a concerted effort and getting back into good consistent eating habits and more consistent exercising.
However I am only losing weight REALLY slowly.
Now I know this is ok, slow weight loss is sustainable and I'm probably doing everything right by making long term lifestyle changes etc etc ...but...I'm impatient!
I feel like I've been so "good" that I deserve more reward from the scales.

I know that it's taken me about 3 years to put this weight on so it will take a while to come off too.
I know however that when I was younger I lost about 15 kg in 3 1/2 months and I guess I'm expecting the same rate of loss now.
I know I'm older and perhaps shouldn't expect the results quite as fast this time.
I know it might be harder and require more dedication.

I just really want to give myself a boost. I weighed myself this morning and had put on a tiny bit since last week (about 0.3kg) which has just really disheartened me as I felt like I'd really been sticking to my plan and was hoping for some more progress.

However, I will not give up!
I am prepared to stick with this for the long term.
I know this is a lifestyle choice and NOT a diet.
I know I feel better about my food choices - regardless of the scales.

So my personal challenge is to learn patience and persistence.
Do not become disheartened at slow progress.
Do not let slow progress throw me off track.
Keep on going..................

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    For sure. Quite honestly, attitude and mental fortitude were sometimes the only things that got me through rough days or weeks. And I had them. Best part is when you come out the other side and you realize that you made it happen and didn't quit. THAT is very motivating.
  • feetmayfail
    Options
    That is the toughest part of losing the weight. I'm right there with you! It's so hard to stay motivated that when I've been "good" for a few weeks, I feel like I should be at my goal weight! :) It's frustrating and difficult when progress is slow but hang in there! It will be worth it!
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    For sure. Quite honestly, attitude and mental fortitude were sometimes the only things that got me through rough days or weeks.
    I like "Mental fortitude" :smile:

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    sometimes it's all you've got... :-)
  • moonduck
    moonduck Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! It's so hard to deal with the weight loss of younger years vs older years, but you can totally do this!!

It does seem like once you take the pressure off and stop watching the scale, it seems to come more naturally, I find.

Best of luck! :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Believe me you are not in your older years.
    You are coming into this weight loss stage with a good attitude- just don't think of good and bad when eating; I find thinking of food like that can be detrimental. Think- more of who you want to be.
    If you don't have one, get a food scale so you are tracking your calories more accurately, and try to add some extra exercise into your day.
    The exercise will help with your calorie deficits if you only eat half back, but more importantly it will help you hold onto your lean body mass and reshape your body.
    You don't have a heck of a lot to lose that is why you are going slower than you wish.
    Cheers, h
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its not age. If you want to lose faster then you have some scope to eat less and move more. Think you should be able to manage 1lb a week by diet and and then its up to you how many exercise calories you can burn. Once it starts coming off it motivates you to keep it up.
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    I do have a food scale and measure all the food I cook and prepare for myself so hopefully calorie tracking is pretty accurate.
    I'll keep at it and remain patient :wink:
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Revised my calorie intake after doing some TDEE research and will use that with tracking exercises as 1 cal. I'll give it a month and see how this plan works.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Great to see you're positive out look is back. The re jiggle of your intake will probably get those scales moving.
    I always log my calories burnt so I can track exercises better and see what my deficit should be.

IE: over 9 weeks I had a total exercise deficit of 11,199 cal, which would add up to 3.2lb lost. I eat at maintainance but don't always hit my goal. My total loss over that 9 weeks was 4.8 so I could see I had lost 1.6 lb from a food calorie deficit and 3.2 from exercise induced calorie deficit.

Just thought I would throw that out there as another tracking aid.
    Cheers, h.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    planning, plotting, scheming and preparing are the greatest weapons against the hopeless feelings of impatience <3
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Yep - I love a good plan :) I also love keeping track of stuff and monitoring things so all in all I'm keeping tabs on myself. Must....not...be...too...impatient! ;)
  • yoovie
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!!

Im so glad you are sticking around :D
  • Laurochka
    Options
    :D Thanks!
    I'm pretty tenacious/stubborn when I need to be.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Strong effort. WTG -hugs and hugs-

lolol

i always admire your stubborness.
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Thank you <3

This last week has been a challenge but I actively decided to just enjoy everything I was doing and the time with my friends etc instead of worrying about what food I was eating. I made moderation and sensible decisions the goal for the week and that worked well for me.
    Slow and steady!
  • Laurochka
    Options
    So patience pays!! Despite no progress on the scales these last 2 weeks I have persevered with keeping my eating as healthy as possible and trying to avoid the excesses of the season. It paid off!! Today I saw a loss on the scales- hopefully get things moving in the right direction again :p
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    love your attitude and patience!!!
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Thanks! I'm learning! <3
  • Laurochka
    Options
    NEW YEAR Checklist

So, as per most of the population, I put on over a bit of weight throughout the Festive Period (about 1.7kg) All things considered I'm not too phased about this. I didn't go totally nuts and completely overindulge but I didn't exercise or eat as healthily as usual so a gain was expected.
    I'm not quite on track for my 90 Day goal but keeping my journal and just having an increased consciousness of who I want to be in my health and fitness life has been beneficial.
    I always love the New Year as a fresh new start so I'm redefining my goals with a longer term timescale of 20th June - my 3rd Tough Mudder!