New and a major downfall with CHOCOLATE!

Options
Hi all. You know, I have always told myself I am not going to diet because it is the quickest way for me NOT to follow something. So rather than diet I am trying to get back onto a healthier eating plan and lose this weight that has crept back on.

I don't have a problem with tracking my food, it's just another way to see that I am held accountable. What always suprises me is the caloric content of some of the things I have always assumed were good! Before choosing this site, my normal breakfast would be a Fuji apple with a Low Fat Yoplait yogurt (and my cup of coffee with ff vanilla creamer). Fuji apples have about 105 calories in them!! It just seems high to me. And makes me question eating them.

So I have set out to find new things to eat that I can incorporate into my kids' meals as well. Two picky boys. My downfall... CHOCOLATE. Not just normal chocolate, things like Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream or choc. cake. I need to remember to thank the friend that hooked me on that during my last pregnancy! The funny thing is, I never have eaten a lot of these things, now I feel like I NEED this darn chocolate. I have discovered the Fiber one brownies and bars..which are little pieces of heaven themselves... but in moderation.

So.. if any of you have any tips for me.. I sure would appreciate it. We are big boneless, skinless chicken eaters, ground turkey. But we like pasta. :( Help????

Replies

• Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    No Pudge Fudge brownie mix is amazing. You mix it with a container of yogurt (I use Strawberry) and it tastes just like real brownies. If you haven't discovered the diet coke cake you will soon love it! A box of chocolate cake mix and a diet coke (I use diet cherry dr pepper) are the only 2 ingredients. I'm telling you, it's amazing and you won't even miss the eggs and oil. So so so good and ridiculously moist. You don't even need the frosting!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm trying hard not to giggle over here. The reason: you are worried about an apple. It's whole foods, clean foods that are what your body needs. I could see you stressing about the Yoplait yogurt since it's not as natural and clean as other yogurts on the market.

Please please please don't stress about healthy whole foods. An apple a day keeps the doctor away and those apple calories are WAY different than a processed chemically laden food with the SAME calorie count.
  • ccclay
    ccclay Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi, same as you I didn't realise how mant cals were in certain foods - even 'healthy' stuff!

But with regards to chocolate I try to buy dark/ high cocoa level bars as a little is enough, or if my sweet tooth kicks in I buy mini bars as they are usually half the cal. Soem chocs like kit kats are also quite low in cals. Hope that helps
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I am happy to say that you don't have to totally abandon chocolate. Everything in Moderation. Just get smaller portions of the bad stuff and and maybe try to find some new favorites. If Ice Cream is your thing, There are lots of new skinny cow ice creams, weight watchers ice creams and even some of the old favorites have some smaller portion mini cups that can help satisfy the cravings. They've actually made some really good chocolate cadies that are low calories and sugar free or reduced sugar. I love turtles (caramel, pecans, chocolate and found some sugar free ones that taste just like the original, as an example). Anyway, look around and try some new things. You mihgt be surprised! The point is, make sure to drink lots of water to keep you full and enjoy smaller portions fo the things you like and you'll b e ok!
  • mescla
    mescla Posts: 56
    Options
    Girl i feel you.. We love the chicken turkey and pasta thing too... I soooo love chocolate and mostly like milk chocolate until i found the Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai berries from Costco. If you gonna go chocolate and i can't believe i'm saying this, but the go for this.. you will hit your sweet tooth and fruit in the same time. Its soo good and you only need a few. The cost is a bit pricey but that would help you to be moderate... Try it and add me...
  • Palache
    Palache Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There are many low calories snacks that will keep you full in between meals. Make sure you plan your day! Because if you don't you will end up hungary and eat everything in site. :blushing:

I love chocolate too!!! I can't stay away from it if it's near. If I give in and take a bite I try to be a little more active that day or eat smaller portions for dinner :ohwell:

Good luck and stay strong!
  • llysak
    llysak Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I crave chocolate I make a dessert with Ricotta Cheese
    1/2 cup ricotta
    1 tsp cocoa
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp of splenda

Only 75 cal

So yummy tastes like pudding!
  • BeakerBeakman
    Options
    Re: The cake and brownies.... OH MY!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I will definately try these. I had never heard of either one of them. WOW

To the rest of you... thanks so much for the advice and tips. I am thinking I should plan out my days ahead of time. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work with me, but have always been in habit to keep "extras" in my desk in case something is forgotten. So.. I am thinking.. the extra fiber bars or brownies are NOT a good idea at this point in the game.

Unless.. yes.. it is one of those Apples. :smile: lol I just see that calorie count go up and worry that my dinner will blow it all.

And time to get more active. As it is now, I get up at 4:30 am and work out for an hour, come home, get ready for work, home at night by 5:30 and off to sports with kids. So... the 4:30 am motivation is kicking my tailfeathers. I live near the coast in Washington State so we are not lucky enough to have descent weather yet. LOTS OF RAIN.

((sigh)) One step at a time.