Is there such a thing as too much?

Options
For the past year or so, I've been struggling with my weight from 126lbs and ballooning up to 136lbs (being my current weight). I'm always trying to lose weight it seems or trying to burn off the calories I ate after the previous night's binge session. Consquently, I do a lot of cardio workouts. I'm usually on the elliptical 7 days a week for minimun 60 minutes. Is this crazy and counterproductive? Or is this really how its suppose to be done in order to loose some weight. I want to get back down to 126lbs (and the sooner the better!)

Help!

Replies

• 123purple
    Options
    For the past year or so, I've been struggling with my weight from 126lbs and ballooning up to 136lbs (being my current weight). I'm always trying to lose weight it seems or trying to burn off the calories I ate after the previous night's binge session. Consquently, I do a lot of cardio workouts. I'm usually on the elliptical 7 days a week for minimun 60 minutes. Is this crazy and counterproductive? Or is this really how its suppose to be done in order to loose some weight. I want to get back down to 126lbs (and the sooner the better!)

Help!
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe you have to eat right, as well as, excercise!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well gosh, unless you're 4'9 I don't consider 136 lbs to be 'ballooning up' in any way, and I'm 5'0. I didn't feel like a balloon until I reached about 145-150. I think there are other things you should look at--your body image, your reasons for binging, and your purging in the form of intense exercise.

You need a rest day. When will your body repair itself if you keep forcing it onto the elliptical? Chronic aerobic exercise releases cortisol, which breaks down both fat and muscle. It's not just a problem for you, but for every endurance athlete. However, you're exacerbating it by leaving out rest days and not performing resistance training. That translates to a suppressed metabolism and immune system.
  • 123purple
    Options
    I can appreciate that eating right and exercise are very important to weight loss. I need to get the former under control. But is working out 60 minutes on the elliptical 7 days a week too much?
  • 123purple
    Options
    Sorry... I just seen your post songbyrd. Thanks. I forgot to mention that I do do strength training exercises as well. I just figured that the more cardio I would do the quicker I would see results. Could I see the same results with less exercise and eating just my daily calorie intake?
  • ironweber717
    Options
    7 days a week, yes it is to much. Eating right is the first thing you should do. Do your workouts in the 65-75% max heart rate zone for an hour. Weight train 3 days a week and change up your cardio and you'll be on the right track.
  • 123purple
    Options
    7 days a week, yes it is to much. Eating right is the first thing you should do. Do your workouts in the 65-75% max heart rate zone for an hour. Weight train 3 days a week and change up your cardio and you'll be on the right track.

How many cardio sessions per week would you suggest?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Sorry... I just seen your post songbyrd. Thanks. I forgot to mention that I do do strength training exercises as well. I just figured that the more cardio I would do the quicker I would see results. Could I see the same results with less exercise and eating just my daily calorie intake?

I'm glad to hear you are doing resistance work. But now you have an even bigger reason to take a rest day. :wink:
    Exercise doesn't cause fat loss. Look at it this way--if you burn 2500 calories a day because you run 10 miles and you're active already, but you eat 3000 calories, will you lose anything? No. It's calories in vs. calories out. Exercise is only there to increase the amount you can eat and still lose body fat. It burns relatively few calories for the intensity we put into it. If your BMR is 1200 calories, you burn about 50 calories per hour just lying down. If you are on the elliptical for an hour and burn 300 calories, you've actually only burnt 250--the other 50 aren't from exercise, they're from keeping your body functioning. 250 calories--a Snickers bar.
    So while exercise is important for your health, it is preventative medicine--it should be used to prevent fat gain. It's rather ineffective at reducing fat on its own. That's what the deficit is for.
  • 123purple
    Options
    I never really looked at it that way before. Thanks Songbyrd. My goal is to lose 10lbs and I like to keep up with exercise for health reasons and aid in fat loss. Do you have any suggestions on what my workout routine should be? Meaning how many days a week I should be doing cardio? Your help would be much appreciated!
  • luvlee884
    luvlee884 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe you have to eat right, as well as, excercise!

agreed!! :heart:
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Since you already have working out down, I would start focusing on eating better. You must eat right too. If you have junk in your house throw it out we are going to eat what we have. Thats the same with children and adults. I always have more fruit and veggies at my house so my kids grab that even when there are bad junk around because its what they are use to eating. Get the junk out and up fruits and veggies. You will lose the weight in no time and feel better. Work out to work out not to try and get rid of last nights bad choices.

Alisha
  • 123purple
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I never really looked at it that way before. Thanks Songbyrd. My goal is to lose 10lbs and I like to keep up with exercise for health reasons and aid in fat loss. Do you have any suggestions on what my workout routine should be? Meaning how many days a week I should be doing cardio? Your help would be much appreciated!

That really depends on how long you've been training, how many calories are allotted to you, and what you feel comfortable with eating.

The ACSM recommends 60-90 minutes of exercise three days per week for weight loss. You can break that up into smaller chunks though. 180-270 minutes over the span of five days averages about 35-60 minutes per session. Not all of that needs to be cardio, and if you're spending much more than 90 minutes in the gym for one session, you're wasting time.

Resistance training helps maintain bone density and, when you're not in a big calorie deficit, can help maintain muscle mass. The catch is that you really can't be in a big deficit-no more than 500 calories, and 300 calories is really best. Your weight loss is slower, but your body composition comes out better in the end. The other catch is that chronic aerobic activity releases cortisol, which breaks down muscle more quickly than it can be built up.

Cardio improves your CV fitness, but only if it's moderately intense, 65%-85% MHR, so low-intensity cardio doesn't help. Other than that, all it does is waste calories. This helps you maintain a deficit while eating more. However, since we don't want to release tons and tons of cortisol, it's best to keep this at something of a minimum-just do what you have to in order to maintain a 500 calorie deficit and be able to eat more than 1200 calories. This isn't the same thing as binging and then exercising for 90 minutes at a time--this is enough to keep your heart healthy and maintain muscle mass.

We like to spend a lot of time in the gym...even if we're being ineffective, we like being there. But when you think about it, a lot of time is spent resting between sets, doing unnecessarily low-intensity work in a "fat burning" zone, etc. It should be about quality. You only need to perform 1-2 sets per exercise, and the weight should be heavy enough to bring you to failure after about a 30 second rest and 12-15 reps. At 65-85% MHR, it doesn't take long to burn a couple hundred calories, and 30-60 minutes is all you need to improve CV health and aid in fat loss. I have seen the best results when I get in and get out, doing just what I need to in order to improve my fitness. Spending time making up for poor food choices is like taking two steps forward and one step back. A big part of this lifestyle is learning self control and moderation. :flowerforyou:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've also been in this pattern - where I eat so much that I have to do 60 minutes of cardio to prevent myself from gaining weight. Except my exercise of choice was running, so I ended up injuring myself. As a result, I can't run as much anymore, and I've needed to learn to curb my eating.

I suggest that you learn to cut back your calories before you end up with an injury from overexercise - and yes, the elliptical can cause injury. The repeated constrained motion can wreak havoc on knees.

While of course we're not the same, you and I are in the same boat: 136 trying to get back to 126. Let's try to do it healthily - eating enough to support our goal 126 and exercising enough to feel firm and fit - not enough to exhaust and injure ourselves!
  • 123purple
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your wise input. It really all does make sense. I will make a solid effort from now on (crossing my fingers) to control my eating habits (which I understand to be the biggest part for weight loss) and become less obsessive with the gym.

I definitely need to learn self-control and moderation. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of girl. So, my new fitness goal will be 45-60 min of cardio 5 days a week and resistance training 3 days a week.

Thanks again!