Major Fatigue After Lifting

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    eversmj wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Huh, looking at this, I see workout B is power cleans.

In Rip's books Starting Strength and Practical Programming the program starts with Squats, alternating OH Press and Bench, Deadlifts, and alternating chins/pull ups.

But you are correct in that he includes Power Cleans later in the novice program, after a few of the lifts have stalled and been restarted via deload. But for most novices this would probably be a few months into the program.

Ah. Roger that. finding the book has been as easy as finding hen's teeth, so I rely upon what may be dodgy wikis, etc.

Power cleans look fun, but damn there is a lot going on.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

In Rip's books Starting Strength and Practical Programming the program starts with Squats, alternating OH Press and Bench, Deadlifts, and alternating chins/pull ups.

But you are correct in that he includes Power Cleans later in the novice program, after a few of the lifts have stalled and been restarted via deload. But for most novices this would probably be a few months into the program.

Ah. Roger that. finding the book has been as easy as finding hen's teeth, so I rely upon what may be dodgy wikis, etc.

FWIW, the Kindle editions of either one are only ten bucks a pop on Amazon. Starting Strength was probably the best ten bucks I ever spent. Incredible book.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I'm currently not doing anything other than SL5x5. I have a desk job, and sit all day. I get roughly 8 hours of sleep each night. Though I am always on the go when I get home. I do my weightlifting at 12:30pm M,W,Th and I don't have anything specific prior. I usually eat something about 30 minutes after my workout.

Ew. You're doing back-to-back days? Geez, your squats have got to be killing you on the Thursday workout. IMHO, if you can't work out Friday or Saturday (i.e, M,W,F or M,W,Sat), I'd switch to just M,Th, especially considering you're eating at a deficit and so your recovery time is going to be longer.

BTW, I'm curious if the Monday workout is easier / feels better afterwards than the others? I'd expect the long gap would make the M workout feel pretty good if this were a glycogen issue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

If there could be only one lift, it would be the PC...they are phenomenal.

That said, most people I know who've done SS substitute pendlay rows just like SL
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    How much are you eating? No one can lift on too high of a deficit.....

I eat roughly 1650 calories on average, per day. I'm 5'3" and 143lbs. I don't think that is too little of a deficit for weight lifting. Or am I wrong? Should I be eating more? My goal is to lose weight, but I'm doing it very slowly. At 1650 calories....I'm teetering on maintenance.

So your goal is to lose weight, but you are doing a lifting program designed to add muscle mass? And you are eating at maintenance while doing it?

I'd say you either need to change your goal and eat more to add some muscle as 5x5 is intended to do, or more to a higher rep scheme and focus on losing weight.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Interesting conversation. I would argue that the Power Clean is in a different category of lifts from something like the Barbell Row. Yes, it's technically an Oly lift (not what I menat by different category) but it's usually utilized as a means of developing rate-of-force production than strength; whereas a P. Row is a strength exercise.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

bostonwolf wrote: »
    So your goal is to lose weight, but you are doing a lifting program designed to add muscle mass? And you are eating at maintenance while doing it?

I'd say you either need to change your goal and eat more to add some muscle as 5x5 is intended to do, or more to a higher rep scheme and focus on losing weight.

I think you're confused possibly... SL5x5 and SS are not hypertrophy programs, though one can experience hypertrophy if the nutrition is appropriate. Hypertrophy programs typically use more reps or more overall volume.
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Today I'm lifting. It's my 3rd day for this week. I am feeling better today...I hope I don't crash this afternoon after the workout. I will definitely post something about it if I do.

However, many of you guys mentioned eating 1 - 3 hours before my workout. I typically eat around 11:00am and then do my lifting at 12:30pm. Then I will eat again at 1:30pm. Maybe I do need to get a protein shake or a gatorade for right after my workout.

Next week, I am taking off from the program. Not because I'm tired, but because I'm off of work next week and I dont' have a gym membership. I use the gym at work on my lunch break during the week. I'll be doing workouts with my bodyweight, etc. Maybe it will help rejuvinate my muscles so I can get back into the swing of things the week after.

I'll work on my "pre and post workout" nutrition as well as getting more water intake. If that doesn't help, then I will start doing 3 x 5s.
  • JessaLee0324
    Options

I eat roughly 1650 calories on average, per day. I'm 5'3" and 143lbs. I don't think that is too little of a deficit for weight lifting. Or am I wrong? Should I be eating more? My goal is to lose weight, but I'm doing it very slowly. At 1650 calories....I'm teetering on maintenance.

I'm not trying to bulk. From what I've read, SL5x5 is designed to make you stronger, not huge. Muscle burns fat and keeps your metabolism running higher. Two key elements in trying to lose body fat.

Does anyone else believe doing SL5x5 while having a goal of losing body fat is a bad idea? I would love to hear about a "better" workout program.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

I'm not trying to bulk. From what I've read, SL5x5 is designed to make you stronger, not huge. Muscle burns fat and keeps your metabolism running higher. Two key elements in trying to lose body fat.

Does anyone else believe doing SL5x5 while having a goal of losing body fat is a bad idea? I would love to hear about a "better" workout program.

You are correct, keep at it.
  • JessaLee0324
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

You are correct, keep at it.

^^^ Thank you :) I will
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Interesting conversation. I would argue that the Power Clean is in a different category of lifts from something like the Barbell Row. Yes, it's technically an Oly lift (not what I menat by different category) but it's usually utilized as a means of developing rate-of-force production than strength; whereas a P. Row is a strength exercise.

I would agree, but I don't think most people have enough exposure to Power Cleans to do them safely without coaching. Opting for a pendlay row provides similar work in RE to the muscles you are working and is safer for most. If possible though, I highly recommend people get coached up on the PC because it is just phenomenal.
  • JessaLee0324
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I would agree, but I don't think most people have enough exposure to Power Cleans to do them safely without coaching. Opting for a pendlay row provides similar work in RE to the muscles you are working and is safer for most. If possible though, I highly recommend people get coached up on the PC because it is just phenomenal.

You guys keep talking about these power cleans....and I have no idea what you are talking about! hahah. I'd google them....but from this conversation, they sound pretty intense. I'll leave well enough alone :)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Agreed.
  • JessaLee0324
    Options
    Wow. I just did my 3rd SL5x5 workout for the week. Now that I understand what it does to my system, I totally believe that I am putting too much strain on my body with so many sets.

I think 3x5 might be more managable for me. And not focusing so much on increasing my weights each time. More like each week seems like a better idea. Being 5'3".... this is probably better.
  • dbmata
    Options
    >_<

You do realize your body will adjust, adapt, and overcome, right?

It sounds like mentally you might not be ready for 5x5.
  • eversmj
    Options
    While I wouldn't argue against seeking out coaching on the power clean, I don't think it's necessary to avoid them wholesale unless you have hands-on coaching. Very few people have access to a gym with a trainer that can show you the correct execution of lifts like these. If you have access to a qualified coach, definitely take advantage of that. But there are enough resources, both printed and online, that can get a motivated individual started provided they use some common sense.

I don't hear the same prohibitive tone about squats, and they could potentially be more dangerous when done incorrectly. Heavier weights, loaded spine, knees in a bad position if you don't know what you're doing, and if you miss on a big squat things can get dicey.

• eversmj
    Options
    I think 3x5 might be more managable for me.

Good idea.
    And not focusing so much on increasing my weights each time.

Bad idea. This is the only time if your fitness journey that you'll be able to make linear, session to session progress. Once you're stronger and are forced to use more complicated programs to squeeze out even a little improvement, you'll long for the days when you added weight to the bar every single workout. Take advantage of your novice status while you can and get strong as fast as you can.

If adding 5lbs every time makes the lift too heavy then you can invest in some microplates that go in increments of .25lbs. They're nice to have since as you get stronger you'll end up using them again when 5lbs would make you miss reps because your lifts are already getting heavy. I carry a set in my backpack when I go to the gym.

If the empty bar is too heavy then see if your gym has a women's training bar around. They probably don't so you may have to substitute dumbbells for some movements until you can move the bar. But the key is to make progress every time you are in the gym at this stage.
  • dbmata
    Options
    you aren't trying to throw a weighted barbell in a squat.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    you aren't trying to throw a weighted barbell in a squat.

I've accidentally done that before. Me + Power Cleans + Wrist Wraps = Barbell Toss. LOL! It was something recommended to me and I since learned my grip alone is just fine for PC's.