Restriction and reactive eating

Options
I've been stuck in this cycle of restricting my calories throughout the week to no more than 500 and then eating whatever I want on the weekend, which is generally quite a bit of junk food. Obviously, this has not been effective in losing weight or toning up like I want to. The restricting leads me to get so hungry that I react by eating everything in sight. My question is this... if I were to increase my diet throughout the week to about 1,200 calories and stick with this on weekends as well, would it cause me to gain weight due to the damage to my metabolism from restricting my calories so severely? Am I stuck eating this minimal and in this cycle forever or can I increase to a normal weight loss amount without gaining a bunch? HELP!

Replies

• Autumn_babe
    Options
    Also forgot to mention I do 60 minutes of moderate intensity cardio 6 out of 7 days of the week!
  • aftonjade88
    aftonjade88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is easy math...as long as you're burning more calories throughout the day than you're taking in, then you'll lose weight. I definitely wouldn't recommend the restricting and binging on the weekends. Try doing several small meals throughout the day and then you won't have the giant urge to eat everything in sight by the end of the week. I struggled with eating disorders for years, it's no way to live. I'm here if you need anyone to talk to!
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 500 cals a day it's no wonder you're losing control on the weekend! You need to eat to lose weight. I wouldn't recommend EVER going before 1200 cals a day
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble eating at a deficit and you have less than 10 lbs to lose, maybe just figure out what your maintenance calories would be at your goal weight and eat at that level and let your weight slowly drift down to your goal weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    All that is necessary for weight loss is a caloric deficit. The person who eats the most and still loses weight, wins. Stop restricting yourself, because your sabotaging yourself.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been effective because your average intake is at or above maintenance. Has nothing to do with eating junk food and all to do with approaching weight loss in a non-sustainable way.

Figure out your estimated maintenance needs, subtract 20% from that (or choose a 1lb/week loss rate) and eat to your goal every single day. If you choose to estimate your needs without including exercise then log it and eat back half or more of the calories. If you choose to include exercise into your calculation then simply eat to your goal. Eat any food you'd like.

1200 calories is also not a normal deficit number for the majority of people. I seriously don't know why so many people automatically assume that they need to eat that little to lose weight.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You are netting 200-300 calories a day for 5 days a week and binging on the weekends. Honestly that has eating disorder written all over it. Please reach out to a health care provider about receiving treatment as soon as possible.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Kudos for recognizing this as a destructive cycle. I suggest you adjust gradually and be kind to your body. Give it a few weeks to get used to the normal calories and stay away from the scale.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you already know 500 cals a day is a terrible idea...what about that is setting "a good example as a nurse"?

639_tommy-lee-jones-serious.gif

In all actuality, even 1200 is probably way too low for you.

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage as you probably already know, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.

Long story short: you very well may have damaged your metabolism by eating so badly, depending on how long you've kept that up. You may have no choice but to put a few pounds back on a first, but that's better than living the way you currently are now. There's no way you can sustain a 500 cal/weekend binge cycle like that for forever.
  • Autumn_babe
    Options
    I honestly don't appreciate some of the rude responses. I obviously understand it's not healthy or I wouldn't be reaching out for help. I have struggled with SEVERE anorexia in the past so even how I am now is a HUGE improvement on what I used to be like.

It sounds like you already know 500 cals a day is a terrible idea...what about that is setting "a good example as a nurse"?

I mean honestly, how was that supposed to be helpful at all? that was rude and mean spirited. I thought this was a supportive community and that reaching out might be helpful but I guess I was wrong.

Thank you to anyone who did give me a kind, helpful answer.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I've stuggled with a EDNOS since puberty (never got far enough underweight to be an official anorexic). In therapy one of the goals was to add 100 calories a week until I was at a healthy intake. At this point any increase will get you closer to a healthy goal. Be kind to yourself and realize that yes, you may add a few pounds in the process but it's because it's what your body needs. Even out your days so that the biological urge to binge is lessened. Once you get a handle on the bingeing then you can start to get in a healthier mindset and fix the rest. Be patient and be kind. These are changes we have to make for life.
  • IamAddictedtoCoconuts
    IamAddictedtoCoconuts Posts: 24 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You're not going to gain weight. But first what's your height and weight? Find your TDEE (basically how much you can eat staying at your weight) Here's an awesome website: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ . So after finding that it would tell you how much to eat to lose weight. Since you're having binges, do about a 10% calorie deduction. Don't be scared of adding more calories, Remember: You're not going to gain weight. If anything binging will make you gain weight long term (been there, done that haha). You said 1,200 calories, but again it depends on your height and weight and how much you work out. 1,200 might be too low if you work out intensely and aren't exactly short.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You will potentially gain some water weight as you get closer to eating a healthy amount (which by the way is probably more than 1200 calories). It will go away as you continue to eat a healthier amount. I would suggest that you check out the EM2WL group on here as it will give you some great information.

BUT if you have also been struggling with an ED in the past, it might be a good idea to seek out a therapist as I'm sure the thought patterns aren't gone and you might come back to this. A good top-up of therapy along with a nutritionist to help you work through this eating and thought patterns may be a good call to make for your health.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    YIKES! Please get help OP.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    you know, never mind
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    All that is necessary for weight loss is a caloric deficit. The person who eats the most and still loses weight, wins. Stop restricting yourself, because your sabotaging yourself.

you're.....ewe, I hate when I blonde.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't appreciate some of the rude responses. I obviously understand it's not healthy or I wouldn't be reaching out for help. I have struggled with SEVERE anorexia in the past so even how I am now is a HUGE improvement on what I used to be like.

I mean honestly, how was that supposed to be helpful at all? that was rude and mean spirited.
    I thought this was a supportive community and that reaching out might be helpful but I guess I was wrong.

to the bolded, how is reminding you of one of your goals/inspirations, that you listed in your profile, rude?????
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    You already have your answer. :) You already know that you're eating too little each day, and reacting by eventually overeating.

I don't know how this fits in with a past ED, though, so can you consult a therapist about this? I do think anorexia leads to "all or nothing" thinking. I have had my own issues with this in the past. But the answer really is to eat more evenly, not over-restrict and then binge. And I think that takes a therapist.

I will be thinking of you. This is tough.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I mean honestly, how was that supposed to be helpful at all? that was rude and mean spirited. I thought this was a supportive community and that reaching out might be helpful but I guess I was wrong.

You need to seek help from a therapist. Since you have a history of anorexia, I'm sure you have a therapist already.