Goodbye Hunger! I eat what I want & lose!

Options
I've been overweight all my life. Have, of course, tried every diet under the sun. When I was younger I really went through them - diet after diet after diet. Eventually realized that NO "diet" was going to fix my problem. I've read more books on dieting, exercise, motivation, goal setting, etc than you can imagine. Still wasn't fixing the problem. Have been in therapy for years for my clinical depression (which I hate to mention 'cause I'm actually a very happy person) but even that wasn't addressing the issue. I read a book a few years back (whose title I can't remember) that had a novel concept: to be healthy you can eat ANYTHING you want. Period. There are NO bad foods. You want ice cream? Eat it. You want a Snickers? Eat it. There are only 2 rules. 1) Eat only when truly hungry, and 2) Stop when full. Now this is, of course, harder than it sounds. It requires listening to your body and I've never done that. I've always been an emotional eater and so waiting for my body to say it was HUNGRY wasn't an option - I had to eat because I was sad, or angry, or bored, or whatever. And stopping when full? Define full. I stopped when the food was gone. My incredibly LARGE portion. And maybe found dessert too. Full = pain. So I tossed that book aside as useless.

Until... Just recently I started thinking about that book again for some reason. And wondered if maybe I was mature enough to start listening to my body. Having given everything else a try, I thought Why Not? So now before I put anything in my mouth I think "Am I hungry?" I have realized that I've probably only been TRULY hungry a handful of times in my life. I never allowed myself to get to the physical hunger point. O I've been "hungry" constantly! Emotionally hungry. Trying to fill some internal void with food - but not physically hunger. The kind of hunger where you feel a bit hollow and maybe even hear your stomach rumble. Don't get me wrong - I don't wait til I'm "starving". I'm diabetic and have to eat at least every 4 hours or I get all kinds of physical "wake-up calls" like a headache, nausea, and severe irritability. But still, I have to have at least some level of hunger before I allow myself to eat. This is EYE OPENING!! The number of times a day I reach for food out of habit, emotion, or just because the clock says it's time to eat is SHOCKING! I had no idea.

Then there's that other catch - stopping when full. I don't trust my body yet to tell me when I'm full. And there's some science there too. I've read a few articles that say when a person has stretched their stomach to the point of obesity, their internal "fullness" alarm is stretched as well. To the point that we can't necessarily feel "full" until in pain. There's also the fact that I'm an INSANELY FAST eater. That's another problem on feeling full because it takes about 15-20 mins for that fullness "alarm" to send a signal to your brain that you're full. If you eat as fast as I do, you've consumed a LOT of food in that 15 mins.

So how to tell that I'm full? I decided to try something radical. I use the portion size that's listed on the container. The few times I've ever looked at what a "portion" was I scoffed "Pfft! What adult human being could live on THAT??" Turns out I can. Because here's the other radical notion that has hit me. I am not living in a concentration camp! I know that's a big "DUH!" but let me explain. All my adult life I've approached each meal as though it was the ONLY meal I would have that day. I consumed enough calories at each setting to "last me" - as though I was in a concentration camp and had to hoard food. So when I look at those "tiny" portions that are listed on the food containers I keep in mind that... (drum roll please)... I get to eat again in a few hours! TA-DA!! O sure I'm being factious but just to show the ridiculous way I've thought about food all my life. After 42 years I HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM!!! It wasn't food - it was my attitude about food!

Hopefully some of this has been helpful for you as well. If you are on FaceBook, please look up my group called Healthy Living for more support!

Melinda

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    So true - a dietician I saw a while back used to say "Never eat in anticipation of hunger".....
    And I also agree with eating suggested portion sizes - to start with I thought - there is no way this is enough.... now if I eat more than the suggested portion size I mostly feel uncomfortable afterwards...
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    bump
  • betharose7
    betharose7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Brilliant posting! I've been thinking the same thing just last night when I wolfing down my pizza and watching telly. I've heard all the scientific research eat slowly, enjoy ur meal and stop when ur full or when u think ur full. I eat too fast and it's a habit, I sit down and think ok I'm going to eat my meal slowly and before u know it I'm distracted and my plate is empty! Lol so then I got to thinking I need a timer that dings every 30 seconds or so then I can take my next mouthful. I know this must sound crazy for some people but to build a habit it takes along time and I think this might be something that could do the trick. So I was going to design an app for my iPhone but it turns out there already is one! I think I'm not allowed to post the name on here cos of advertising or something like that? I just typed in food timer and there were loads of recipe /cooking timers but on the last page there was one for slow eating. It was free so I thought why not I'll give it a shot. Hope this might help a few people in a similar situation :)
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    Happy lifestyle change to you Melinda!
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This makes perfect sense. :smile:

I am seeing this site as a foundation. The diary tool is the organizer for me. It sets me up with a framework and I have found that I am starting to get beyond the numbers as you suggest in the OP ...if I am hungry I have a snack, a good snack.

Before I started this plan I was never hungry. My portions were huge and there was never an opportunity to "feel" what my body was telling me.
    Now when it is "meal time" I am hungry to eat it...when it is snack time my body tells me it is snack time. It is actually comforting to "feel" it's time to eat by my body clock instead of the wall clock.

good topic.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Paul McKenna's book - "I can make you Thin" (he is a hypnotist here in the UK)

He says thre is no such thing as a diet and as soon as you ban a certain food type you set yourself up to have an unhealthy relationship with it... He discusses the diet industry and how it makes women feel guilty and how our relationships with food begins the moment we are born.

His book has 4 golden rules:

1) If you are hungry - eat
    2) Eat what you want and not what you think you should
    3) Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful
    4) Stop eating when you fill full.

The books has lots of techniques for identifying whether hunger is emotional or physical and how to distingush if you are truly hungry. There are also techniques for knowing when you are full up.

I do not perosnally follow the principles but the book is def worth a read.
  • ReneeOfTheFae
    ReneeOfTheFae Posts: 117
    Options
    It might be worth looking into thyroid issues, too. This goes double if you still suffer from depression. Getting treated for hypothyroidism will level out your hormones to where they should be and will actually allow you to lose weight a bit more easily. My two cents. *^_^*
  • HeatherYevette
    HeatherYevette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to stop by and say "CONGRATULATIONS!" Developing a new relationship with food is NOT easy, especially if you don't even realize you need to. I come from the other side of having and Eating Disorder where I was convinced that every bite of food was my enemy ... it wasn't the enemy... I was my enemy. The ED was my enemy.

Once you make realizations that it's not food, its you ... it opens up doors and windows and a whole new way of looking at things. :)
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Things I've found makes a huge difference in only eating until you're full is the following:

- When you eat, eat only. Don't watch TV, surf the net, read a book or anything else while you're eating.
    - Chew your food thoroughly. Eat your food slowly, and make sure that you chew it properly before swallowing. There's no need to pretend you're an egg eating snake :)
    - Savour your food. Concentrate on what you're eating, and appreciate the flavours and textures of the food.
    - Pause between mouthfuls. This gives your body a chance to send those signals that it's not hungry any more.
    - Don't feel the need to finish what's on your plate. What's more important - finishing that last morsel that's on your plate or leaving it and looking it at calories that you haven't consumed and that aren't going to your stomach or thighs?

Those are guidelines I try and stick by and I find it makes it a lot easier to read the body's signals.
  • daveshoneybun
    daveshoneybun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jojonesnz
    jojonesnz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i also have the problem of eating my food too quickly, i think it stems from when i was a child and me and my brother would race to see who could finish their plate the fastest lol
    one thing i wondered about in this post is waiting until you are really hungry, i do this often as i am a hairdresser and often dont have enought time to eat when i should, and i had always thought that waiting until you have the rumbling tummy etc was bad as it is a sign that you are in starvation mode and then your body grabs hold of whatever you eat and stores it as fat??

3926322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Great post, sure it will help a lot of people.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great revelation.
    How long have you been doing this and how much have you lost with it?
  • darkmstf
    darkmstf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Funny ... yesterday I went out to lunch with a few of the girls here at work. Our bosses gave us a gift certificate for an awesome restaurant. For the $$$ the place cost I said "to heck with it, I'm eating whatever I want". Anyway, we ordered a few appetizers to share amongst us ... and a main course ... and even went for dessert! But funny thing is by the time we were done with the appetizers -- which were NOT BIG (fancy NYC restaurants don't do "big" like TGIF!) we were already full. Mainly because they did not bring everything out at once... they were brought out one at a time and it took about 1/2 hour to go through them all 3 appetizers. So by main course we were already just about full. We could have stopped there! Honestly! (but we didn't. <g>) But it just goes to show if you DO take your time you DO get full. I too often scarf food down unthinkingly and yes by the time it "registers" one can easily overeat.

And btw I was feeling the whole "guilt" thing that I must have ate 3000 calories in one lunch but when I got back and sat down and analyzed exactly what we did eat it wasn't THAT BAD!!! In fact based on the estimates the whole meal was maybe 600-700 calories -- and that included dessert. BTW I ordered baklava -- which I very rarely have because you often have to buy a big tray of them (which I don't need! LOL!) -- so I ordered it at restaurant instead and they came out with 3 tiny/mini portions. Perfect enough to hit your sweet tooth but not enough to pack on the calories.
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    Sounds like a great revelation.
    How long have you been doing this and how much have you lost with it?

I've been eating this way since April 25th (the day after Easter) and have lost 5 1/2 lbs as of yesterday morning. :)
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    Funny ... yesterday I went out to lunch with a few of the girls here at work. Our bosses gave us a gift certificate for an awesome restaurant. For the $$$ the place cost I said "to heck with it, I'm eating whatever I want". Anyway, we ordered a few appetizers to share amongst us ... and a main course ... and even went for dessert! But funny thing is by the time we were done with the appetizers -- which were NOT BIG (fancy NYC restaurants don't do "big" like TGIF!) we were already full. Mainly because they did not bring everything out at once... they were brought out one at a time and it took about 1/2 hour to go through them all 3 appetizers. So by main course we were already just about full. We could have stopped there! Honestly! (but we didn't. <g>) But it just goes to show if you DO take your time you DO get full. I too often scarf food down unthinkingly and yes by the time it "registers" one can easily overeat.

And btw I was feeling the whole "guilt" thing that I must have ate 3000 calories in one lunch but when I got back and sat down and analyzed exactly what we did eat it wasn't THAT BAD!!! In fact based on the estimates the whole meal was maybe 600-700 calories -- and that included dessert. BTW I ordered baklava -- which I very rarely have because you often have to buy a big tray of them (which I don't need! LOL!) -- so I ordered it at restaurant instead and they came out with 3 tiny/mini portions. Perfect enough to hit your sweet tooth but not enough to pack on the calories.

Well I'm glad it didn't end up being the HUGE calorie blow-out that you thought it was! I probably would've over-eaten too, but I hope I can get out of that mode. Whether someone else is paying for it or not, in the end *I* will "pay for it" in other ways. I need to learn that stuffing myself to the point of pain is not a reward.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I was reading your post about the sugar thing and you being Diabetic. Has this new way of eating helped your Diabetes? I'm on the Diabetic meal plan and I've lost weight and eat alot of good foods. Anything to get that taken care of is aces in my book! I do like your tips about the slower eating. I too used to eat one meal a day and just go scarfing down!
  • betharose7
    Options
    Was just trying to do the quote thingy lol think I've got it Sussed now! :)
  • betharose7
    Options
    one thing i wondered about in this post is waiting until you are really hungry, i do this often as i am a hairdresser and often dont have enought time to eat when i should, and i had always thought that waiting until you have the rumbling tummy etc was bad as it is a sign that you are in starvation mode and then your body grabs hold of whatever you eat and stores it as fat??

I think I know what u mean if u get to the point where u are really really hungry for example u ignore ur hunger signals until u really can't wait anymore, the u are going to end up eating your food really quickly and probably eat too much because you have left it too long. Some suggestions out there say to use a scale of 1-10 to measure your hunger

1 you feel physically faint/dizzy
    2 ravenous
    3 quite hungry
    4 slightly hungry
    5 neutral
    6 nicely satisfied
    7 full
    8 stuffed (like when uv just come out of a restaurant lol
    9 bloated
    10 nauseous

It's easier said than done but the more you become aware of it the easier it becomes I guess, I'm still mastering it myself :{