I'm so hungry!!!

Options
Okay this is my fourth day and the first time I haven't exercised to earn more cals .I am soooo hungry on my 1200 allowence, any tips? Much appreciated!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I had this problem a lot when I was about a week in, and again at about 5 weeks. I was starving all the time! People here advised me to eat a bit more protein, and it really makes a difference. I still get hungry days, but it's bearable now. I am not going to bed hungry at night any more. Also I am making myself exercise to get those extra calories, I need them!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It gets better. Look for low calorie, filling foods - VEGGIES! :D
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I know I didn't believe it but I have changed my settings to 30/30/40 for protein/carbs/fat and have been working for a couple of weeks to get the levels figured out. Basically I don't eat sugar or bread. But, the key is, when you get enough protein you really aren't hungry and sure, you might want bread or chocolate, but I'm not hungry. Look at my diary and see what I've eaten the last couple of days. I am maintaining on 1490 cals/day but you can see I am not at that level yet and without exercise.
  • Honeybah
    Honeybah Posts: 12
    Options
    Drink (more) water. It helps to make you feel full.
    I've also read that sometimes when we are thirsty/dehydrated it presents as hunger. So the idea is to drink some water before going for a snack to see if that quells it first.
    Good luck finding what works for you!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The system wants me to eat 1200 cals too and it is *tough*. But two things help...one, it really motivates me to exercise to earn those extra cals! :) But two, what you eat really starts to matter. Simple carbs go right through you almost as though you'd never eaten. I eat steel cut (i.e. whole grain not instant) oatmeal for breakfast, which sticks with me for awhile. I also eat a hearty homemade veggie soup with garbanzo and cannellini (white kidney) beans and that keeps me going for awhile too. (If you want the recipe, send me a message...you can make it once a week and it will last all week, and a serving is under 300 cals. Quinoa (said keen-wah) is a good rice substitute that is a whole grain and full of protein. Basically I have found a few foods that keep me filled well and have that third meal that is not quite as good for me but keeps me from feeling too deprived of tasty foods. I do have a fairly high tolerance for tedium and don't require a whole lot of variety, which helps me stick to the good foods I've found that I can live with.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Also try spacing out your calories into smaller more frequent meals. For me, 6 * 200 cals goes a lot further than 3 * 400.
  • ccclay
    ccclay Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this has really motivated me to get a wider spread of (good) food into my diet and to really watch what I eat! Support is much appreciated! :happy:
  • BXxyoung
    BXxyoung Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    A few times every month I try to get back into a sensible diet however every day around 4ish I pig out. Help!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast. It is easier to get through the hunger in the morning and allows for more calories later. Also, fiber and protein help.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Do you have to have such a low calorie allowance for the day? Depending on your current weight and how much you have to lose you may be better off eating more!
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    Skip breakfast. It is easier to get through the hunger in the morning and allows for more calories later. Also, fiber and protein help.

I don't advise skipping breakfast. That just sounds like a terrible idea. I don't know about anybody else but when I skip breakfast I'm more likely to eat more junk later on in the day just because I'm so starving.
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I don't advise skipping breakfast. That just sounds like a terrible idea. I don't know about anybody else but when I skip breakfast I'm more likely to eat more junk later on in the day just because I'm so starving.
    I agree. I eat a bowl of old fashioned oatmeal in the morning. For 150 calories - it is worth it. It stays with me and keeps me going until about noon!! It's commonly said to be the most important meal of the day, and I believe that. It just makes sense. You haven't eaten all night while you were sleeping, so it gets your metabolism going for the day. Just my thoughts. :)
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Water and if you still feel hungry 15 minutes after then a piece of fruit.

I too go through phases of feeling starved and occasionally I go 100 / 200 cals over my allowance

You have to listen to your body and sometimes it simply is hungry.. ...

If you are going to eat try to go for something low cal though and never let yourself get so hungry that you will eat the first thing you can get your hands on (which will most likely NOT be be low cal)

You may want to look what you are eating - if you pick the right foods (low GI foods are most filling) then you really shouldn't feel hungry once your body gets used to it...
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    There is no most important meal of the day......sounds like a breakfast cereal commercial. No it doesn't get your metabolism going.....total myth. Skipping breakfast primes your body for the most effecient fat burning possible. Why people fail to realize this is beyond me.

It's commonly said to be the most important meal of the day, and I believe that. It just makes sense. You haven't eaten all night while you were sleeping, so it gets your metabolism going for the day. Just my thoughts. :)
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    There is no most important meal of the day......sounds like a breakfast cereal commercial. No it doesn't get your metabolism going.....total myth. Skipping breakfast primes your body for the most effecient fat burning possible. Why people fail to realize this is beyond me.

It's commonly said to be the most important meal of the day, and I believe that. It just makes sense. You haven't eaten all night while you were sleeping, so it gets your metabolism going for the day. Just my thoughts. :)

So what sources do you have to back up this claim? How does it "prime" your body?
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    MFP set my calories at 1200 and I was hungry all the time too. I reset my activity level from sedentary to slightly active and it upped it to 1380 calories. I am still losing weight and find it much easier to stay within my calories.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options

You should NEVER skip breakfast!! It is not healthy for your body to start the day like that. Also, your metabolism will not rev up for the day until you eat. If you do not eat until lunch time, not only are you going to be sluggish and tired until then (because you are literally running on empty), but you are wasting valuable hours that could be used for calorie burning.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options

So what sources do you have to back up this claim? How does it "prime" your body?

here's two little blurbs on the importance of breakfast. i would suggest reading them and maybe doing a bit of your own research.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/most-important-meal
  • musicoflife08
    Options
    When you eat breakfast, you're literally breaking your fast from dinner to breakfast hence, "break-fast".
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    MFP set my calories at 1200 and I was hungry all the time too. I reset my activity level from sedentary to slightly active and it upped it to 1380 calories. I am still losing weight and find it much easier to stay within my calories.

this is the way to go. if your hungry, up your calories, but don't eat a ton of junk! keep to the good stuff. i'm set at 1640 right now, and mfp wants to put me down to 1540, but i'm staying where i'm at for the time being. i don't mind if the weight comes off a little bit slower - i won't be miserable through the process! best of luck to you!