Protein powder and oats for smoothies?

Options
I see lots of people saying that protein powder isn't necessary in smoothies unless you need to up your protein. Does protein powder help you stay and feel full longer? If so I'd love to add these to my morning smoothie. What's a good, easy to find (walmart?), protein powder that's not too spendy?

Also to those of you who add oats, do you cook them first?

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    walmart protein(body fortress) is really bad quality the labels arent correct. I would suggest ISO 100. but your right protein powder is not necessary but does make it easier to hit your protein goal( 1gram per pound of body weight) It will help slightly to keep you fuller longer as protein digests slower. As for the oats I dont add any to my shakes but no you do not cook them first, and i really wouldnt suggest adding them, that is alot of carbs wasted on a shake.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've never added oats, but you would not cook them. I add chia seeds or ground flax seeds (or both) instead.

Does Walmart sell Designer Whey protein powder? That's pretty cheap and has a bunch of yummy flavors.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    In general, liquid calories will not make you feel as full as whole food calories. Protein powder isn't really very filling, so I wouldn't use it for that reason. If you need to increase protein intake, that's a good idea.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people saying that protein powder isn't necessary in smoothies unless you need to up your protein. Does protein powder help you stay and feel full longer? If so I'd love to add these to my morning smoothie. What's a good, easy to find (walmart?), protein powder that's not too spendy?

Also to those of you who add oats, do you cook them first?
    Raw oats, if you find it keeps you fuller.

Protein does help keep you more full and powders can be handy but you can also use greek yogurt, cottage cheese or any protein rich food in your smoothie.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have both in my smoothie/milkshake for breakfast. More oats on a lifting day and more protein on a rest day.
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder and oats to my smoothie each morning. The powder is only because I have trouble hitting my protein goal. I do find the oats keep me fuller longer. A few times I've left them out to save the calories for later in the day and always seem to get hungry a lot faster despite the protein powder.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I only use protein powder if the rest of my breakfast doesn't have much protein (if I'm having oatmeal, or toast), or sometimes just to make my smoothie creamier....just for the flavor. It's a handy thing to have available, but certainly not necessary. If I'm having eggs today....no protein powder needed, I'm getting lots of protein there. I do like adding some oats though, keeps me full longer, and gives a smoothie some more bulk.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my smoothies. www.myprotein.com Tasty, good protein and good price.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I add oats to my smoothies sometimes, but it's been always uncooked. I never thought about cooking it before, but it sounds like it might be a good idea :) if you add raw oats to your smoothie, make sure you drink lots of water after.
  • CatDeeDeeDee
    CatDeeDeeDee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I add uncooked oats to my smoothies whenever I make them, which isn't very much these days because with the way I make them, I consider them more of a treat. For me, the texture of my smoothie lasts longer and I find that the flavor is much better with the oats. But that's just me.