Can I set MFP to NOT subtract exercise calories?

Options
I use TDEE and have a consistent caloric goal every day, whether I exercise or not. I would like to add in my daily exercise just to keep track of it, but when I do, it automatically subtracts the calories I've burned and changes my daily goals.

I suppose I could put in the exercise but set the calories burned to 0, but I'd rather keep the calorie burn on there if there's any way to do so.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    probably not ..

you can swith to TDEE method which already has your energy expenditure calculated into it...
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can switch MFP to TDEE? How do you do that??
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    no, you can't change the settings/interface, unfortunately. you just work around it by not logging exercise.

(tdee method = averaging your maintenance activity level for the whole week and subtracting a %, & staying constant at that intake. kind of like what you're doing now)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    i agree though, i'd like the option to just have gross calories calculated (while logging exercise) as well.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    Options
    Oh well, no big deal. Thanks for the info!

I tried adding an exercise and setting the calorie burn to 0, but it wouldn't let me. No big deal, I've got RunKeeper too.

I do use TDEE already, I just thought ndj was saying that you could "switch" MFP over to TDEE somehow.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    What many people do if they want to keep track of exercise but not log the calories is just log the calorie burn as "1."
  • allieallieoxenfree
    Options
    What many people do if they want to keep track of exercise but not log the calories is just log the calorie burn as "1."

Ha, that makes sense. Slightly depressing: allieallieoxenfree ran 8.2 miles at 5mph pace and burned 1 calorie. ;)

But that is a good idea, thanks for the tip!
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just write it in my exercise notes instead of actually "logging" it. That way I do have a record of it in MFP ("For science!" as my husband likes to say), so if I want to I can go back and see what I did and how my results were affected. But then it has no change to my calorie/macro goals which is perfect (I do TDEE as well).
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Or you could just log the exercise with the full calorie burn, and compensate for that by using "quick add calories" to add the same amount of calories to your food diary.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The simplest way is to just focus on the logged intake and not worry about the math MFP does based on exercise.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    Options
    Or you could just log the exercise with the full calorie burn, and compensate for that by using "quibck add calories" to add the same amount of calories to your food diary.

This is genius!!
  • allieallieoxenfree
    Options
    I just write it in my exercise notes instead of actually "logging" it. That way I do have a record of it in MFP ("For science!" as my husband likes to say), so if I want to I can go back and see what I did and how my results were affected. But then it has no change to my calorie/macro goals which is perfect (I do TDEE as well).

This is also a good idea, but what I really want to say is OMG your username! I used to have a kitty called Sydney Bristow lol.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Or you could just log the exercise with the full calorie burn, and compensate for that by using "quick add calories" to add the same amount of calories to your food diary.

Why have I never thought of doing this??? Thank you!

• 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options

Does this screw up your macros? (If you're tracking macros, that is...)
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    No, I would just add my exercise to the exercise notes area on your diary. And so your friends see it you can go ahead and post it on the newsfeed just like MFP would word it. Easy but a lot of work.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When I log my exercise, I do it after I'm done eating for the day as I close out my diary. Then the "extra" calories don't matter.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This- I just change it to 1. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

This- I just change it to 1. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Yeah, I like my 1-calorie lemonade too.
  • WillShattuck
    WillShattuck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know this is a few months old, but if you set the calorie count to something really low but positive (.00000001) the calorie tracker counts it as 0 calories.

Screengrab
    ======
    8e3ft2uorrr1.jpg
    ======
  • Thurley160
    Thurley160 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew how to interpret this thread because I think it's covering the issue that's bugging me (I'm new to MFP). I want to keep track of how many calories I burned during the week but I don't want it to deduct it from my food because I get all happy thinking I have more calories to eat than I expected to have left only to realize those are my exercise calories which I don't want to eat.