21 and Morbid Obese

Options
Hello all!!!! My name is Samantha and as of today I have been diagnosed as a morbid obese 21yr old. I am too young, smart, and gorgeous to be this big and I want to live my life to the fullest, but I need help. I LOVE SWEETS!!!!!!!! Lol I promise you I can eat sweats all day and go to sleep. But I'm really tired of being out of breath when I walk up the stairs, unable to breathe when I sleep, and unable to look to stand in front of the mirror nude because I hate my body. So yeah......I am embarking on a LIFESTYLE CHANGE.......my 100lbs+ SNATCH BACK to be in a body that I feel underneath all of this. Looking for positive, blunt, and honest people.....let's be a motivation for each other.

Replies

• shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    All I can say, as someone who was 330 pounds is don't give up! a lifestyle change is a forever journey, enjoy all the things you are going to learn about yourself along the way! I didn't see much change for the first 6 months that I started, but slowly my weight start coming down and it has been life changing. I was 23 years old, morbidly obese and told I would die early and not have children if I didn't change my life! take it from me, it IS possible and you will rock it! make sure to go slow and the changes you will see will be amazing!
  • gingyboomboom
    Options
    I could eat sweets all day too but the guilt is more than I care for. I have 70-75 lbs to lose, feel free to add me if you like, I just "started" again. :0)
  • notfromarizona
    notfromarizona Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have another 50 or so to lose, but I can 100% relate to getting out of breath walking up stairs. It's been getting better slowly though, I'm sure you can do it if I can. Feel free to add me, I love to keep up with other people's health and give advice when I feel like I can be helpful :)
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Having a strong support system is critical for this journey. If you need anything, don't hesitate to get ahold of me. I'm always happy to give encouragement, advice, or a swift kick int he pants :smile:

If you're looking for support, I help to run a great support group on Facebook for people looking to improve their health and fitness. It's just a bunch of people supporting and encouraging each other to make progress towards their goals. It's an awesome community. If you're interested in it, I'd be glad to chat with you about it.

Allan
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You can do it, I look forward to your success story :)
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your story as well, since i've always had weight issues and still don't have a normal / healthy relationship with sugar. U are beautiful and once you start losing that excess weight you will love the new you. It takes time and a loooot of persistence but you can do this. You need to do this for yourself! Just remember... baby steps and don't expect to change overnight.
    as for sweets, try exchanging with fruits ( apples, pineapple, coconut .. choices are endless)
  • KrishDaNa
    KrishDaNa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can relate, when I was 18 years old. I was about 120lbs overweight. I am now down 45lbs from then. I want to lose another 70ishlbs.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love this. Honey, you ARE to young to not be living your life to the fullest! So glad you decided to make that happen. :smile:

(oh, to be 21 again....)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Def' relate to what you are going through. One of my main motivators was to get basic hygiene back like when on the toilet i could not even reach back there to wipe as well as get cramps in trying to navigate around my mammoth belly.

Best wishes on your WOE.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am in my fifties and eighteen months ago I was 275 pounds and out of breath. I've lost eighty pounds with a lot of support from the local bariatric unit which included lots of classes, a dietitian, everything. As I've lost weight I have become more active. My family doctor says now I look "perky".

One of the most useful courses I attended was the
    Chronic Disease Self Management Program run by Stanford University. I understand they license this program across country so there may be a program in your area.

This is the book that goes with the program. Please don't be put off by the nasty title.
    Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions: Self-Management of Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Depression, Asthma, Bronchitis, Emphysema and Other Physical and Mental Health Conditions, Lorig.

Since you are young and in a dangerous weight bracket my wish for you is to learn some lifetime habits that will help you tackle whatever challenges come your way. Patience, grasshopper. Gradually changing old habits can lead to spectacular results.

Have you ever checked out a diabetic sweets shop nearby? You may be able to continue to enjoy your habit without contributing to your calorie intake.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Trust the process and the information provided here on the forums! (You'll be able to weed out the good from the bad once you really get going.) I started losing weight at 260, dropped to 190, rebounded to 210. I joined MyFitnessPal on June 24 and I regret nothing. Navigating through the forums is what helped me understand my own body. You can definitely do this. Patience is key! :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Many people here have been where you are. They will more than support you on this journey! Good luck!
  • philiaeros360
    philiaeros360 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You'll are so supportive!!!!!!! Man it really warms my heart to hear such positive people and responses. I'm excited to have such a wonderful support group that understands exactly what I'm going through.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Have you heard about carb cycling? I just started the diet since a friend recommended it to me. It gives you a lot of flexibility in being able to eat what you love (in moderation of course) it's one of those diets that has you eating healthier but allows you to enjoy the food that you love. friend lent me the book by chris powell called "Choose more, Lose more for life" which goes into a fair amount of detail.

Here's some information on Chris's website: http://chrispowell.com/carb-cycling-101/
  • sparklemejessica
    Options
    Hey girl! i added you! I have about 65 pounds to lose (minimum) but i am all about understanding the LIFESTYLE change! Start small and work your way up! Also be super honest about what you eat. If you go over calories, it is OKAY. You are not a bad person for that! Just be honest until you can get a healthy diet under your belt! and walk walk walk!
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Adding you lovely! We'll do it together :)
  • fenshae
    fenshae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Tossed you a friend request! I'm sitting right on the edge of morbid obesity myself (I think my only saving grace is that I'm tall!) and man it's a scary place to be. It's great to see you stepping up and making the commitment to change...that, and looking for accountability partners, is one of the hardest parts!