Do you weight yourself?

Options

Replies

• lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I grew up wrestling and always weighing in everyday, after 25 years away from the sport I haven't been able to break that habit. Its second nature for me.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weight myself daily for accountability. But, everyone is different.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    *weigh
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I seem to just forget lately and just go by what I feel in the mirror, and from time to time weigh myself
  • MeowMix66
    MeowMix66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've decided not to weigh myself more than once every 2 weeks, if not less. I think the best motivation is when a friend/acquaintance asks me if I've lost weight. Sometimes, the number on the scale tells me that I weigh the same, but this helps me know that my weight is shifting and that exercise and diet are working in their own way! The best thing to focus on is how you feel about yourself and how you feel physically.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    brain328 wrote: »
    I have made a decision to no longer weigh myself. I feel that I am too dependent upon that number. I am eating right and working out and I am sick of being depressed because the numbers aren't moving the way I think they should, when I feel AMAZING. Thoughts? Do I really need to know how much I weigh?

Just no .. you are doing the smartest thing you could do. The scale is the worst method to actually measure success. I wish more people would take that step. Me .. I weigh once a week and mostly to see my body fat%, muscle mass % .. but unfortunately that lbs thing is always in there too. But I have found that people get fixated on "I need to weigh 120 lbs" .. and it is terrible, cause the normal fluctuations can be devastating. You just have to watch the resulting threads in this forum that result.

Good job .. you are doing the right thing by not doing it. Measurements of body fat %, muscle mass % and physical measurements are much more telling.
  • ShellMarie35
    ShellMarie35 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I recently made the decision to stop weighing myself too. I found myself getting too obsessed with the number and getting disappointed when it didn't go the way I wanted it too. My only goals right now are to eat healthy, exercise regularly, log everything, and occasionally do measurements. I'm trying to focus on how I'm feeling rather than seeing a specific number on the scale and I'm feeling a lot better.
  • brain328
    brain328 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    kk1084 wrote: »
    This is such an excellent plan, in my opinion.

As a person recovering from eating disorders, I find it difficult to toss my scale, though I want to. I find it difficult NOT to weigh myself once (or more!) a day. This is my battle right now-- NOT weighing multiple times a day. I allow myself ONCE a day; that's it, no more at all. It seems so silly, but it IS a battle...

I hope to get to the point where I am weighing once a week or, heck, maybe even not at all!

I commend you for battling with your eating disorder! I have had a number of friends get very ill due to them. I hope you get to where you are only weighing yourself once a week or once a month but I'm sure once a day is quite an accomplishment for yourself! Thank you for sharing I appreciate it :)
  • brain328
    brain328 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    brain328 wrote: »
    I have made a decision to no longer weigh myself. I feel that I am too dependent upon that number. I am eating right and working out and I am sick of being depressed because the numbers aren't moving the way I think they should, when I feel AMAZING. Thoughts? Do I really need to know how much I weigh?

Just no .. you are doing the smartest thing you could do. The scale is the worst method to actually measure success. I wish more people would take that step. Me .. I weigh once a week and mostly to see my body fat%, muscle mass % .. but unfortunately that lbs thing is always in there too. But I have found that people get fixated on "I need to weigh 120 lbs" .. and it is terrible, cause the normal fluctuations can be devastating. You just have to watch the resulting threads in this forum that result.

Good job .. you are doing the right thing by not doing it. Measurements of body fat %, muscle mass % and physical measurements are much more telling.

Thanks! I just wish the machines to measure body fat %, etc. weren't so darn expensive!!
  • MsWendyjc
    MsWendyjc Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Daily weight check for me .. Keeps me focused and allows me to adjust my intake if i'm gaining :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    All good plans. This is another case of "know thyself" (like keeping your favorite junk food in the house or not). I weigh daily for the most part. I am at maintenance, but I also weighed daily when I was losing. I was starting diet/nutrition from scratch, then, and weighing daily was good information for me. I could see what a sushi (soy sauce) dinner did for the scale. I could see what ovulation did (that was a surprise). I could see what PMS and ToM did...
    Now, in maintenance, weighing daily lets me see if my maintenance strategies are working. When the scale goes up a few and stays there, then I look at how I'm eating. If it goes down and stays there, I look at how I'm eating. Data. Data. Data.

I like your plan. In the past I would be fine without weighing for a while then one day I would weigh and learn my regain happened when I was not looking.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I no longer weigh myself. all old clothes thrown out. I no longer buy clothes which allow me to grow and not realise. as soon as anything gets tight i will know and act. but still trying to log and exercise to prevent this.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I need to stop weighing myself. I haven't weighed myself for nearly 3 weeks. It feels amazing not basing how I feel on a number.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    i only do it once every two weeks or so, so i don't get frustrated by fluctuations.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    weigh myself 2 times per month
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Being too dependent on the scale is unhealthy for me. When I was losing weight, I only weighed myself every other week.

Recently, I broke my leg and my weight fluxuated because of pain meds and a combination of inactivity and the exhaustion of using crutches (also my blood pressure went up). I started weighing myself once a month. I showed a 4lb gain during that period

Now I'm back to once every other week and this week, I've gone down a pound and my blood pressure is back to normal.

• 24Donna
    24Donna Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For me it's more important to weigh when I'm having an off period. When I'm motivated to eat healthy and exercise I don't really pay much attention to the scale because I already know that whatever it says I'm doing good! But when I know I'm slacking off I step on that scale so I can force myself to look at what I'm doing to my body and the precious lost pounds that I'm gaining back! It often motivates me to get back on track o:)
  • Backtothegrind
    Options
    I believe that once a week is more than enough! We tend to obsess so much about the number on the scale that we forget that the more important is how we feel about ourselves.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Do you weight yourself?
    Only when scuba diving.

I weigh myself every morning & write it on the calendar, only record it here when I've lost.
    I can easily look back a couple weeks to see how I'm doing.
    When I get to goal, I'll probably go to once a week.

51637601.png
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every few weeks since I am now in maintenance. As long as I am within a 5-7 pound range I am good. Anywhere from 147-155 is good with me; however, if I would go over that then I would need to tinker again with my calculations.