May decide to go mainly vegan.

Options
Melissapaige1
Melissapaige1 Posts: 151 Member
edited December 2014 in Introduce Yourself
Does anyone watch infinite waters diving deep? He has inspired me profoundly, to make changes in my life. I need to make solid changes in my life, in order to keep myself healthy and happy. I am looking for some like minded people on here to be come friends with, and hold each other accountable. I would love to see your progress, and share my progress with you as well. Thank you.

Replies

• JoAnn0209
    JoAnn0209 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What is infinite waters diving deep? I have been thinking about going vegetarian, but I don't know if I could do it. I could use some inspiration too.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What's mainly vegan? .surely vegan is an absolute

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Vegan is all-or-nothing.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you intend to be vegetarian for health reasons please reassess. Ethical, religious reasons are one thing but there is no proof [That I am yet to find] that vegetarian is actually healthier. I do know it makes it harder to get some of the nutrients you need.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Vegan is all-or-nothing.

Yes it is. A vegan not only does not eat meat but they do not use any products that come from animals or are produced by animals. No leather, no meat, no eggs, no dairy, no honey or beeswax, no wool or silk, no pearls, etc.

• Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Does anyone watch infinite waters diving deep? He has inspired me profoundly, to make changes in my life. I need to make solid changes in my life, in order to keep myself healthy and happy. I am looking for some like minded people on here to be come friends with, and hold each other accountable. I would love to see your progress, and share my progress with you as well. Thank you.

I haven't seen that documentary, nor do i tend to care for documentaries about veganism/such. Most of them tend to be heavily biased, and straying from the facts/manipulating such. As other people have mentioned - there is no way to be 'mostly' vegan. Rather you're vegan, or you're not. If you don't consume meat and don't consume MOST animal products, you may be an ovo-lacto vegetarian or something along those lines. You surely aren't a vegan if you consume animal products, or use them.

Also, not consuming animal products to make you 'happy and healthy' is 'eating a plant based diet', not 'being vegan'. Being vegan is a political, economic, and moral/ethical stance - not just a diet. It includes lifestyle changes (you'd most likely have to change all of the cosmetics you use, clothing companies you buy from, cleaners you use......etc.), causing you to re-examine and replace plenty of the things you utilize on a daily basis.....on top of the dietary changes. Unless you're doing this to end the exploitation of animals, you are merely eating a plant-based diet.

Anybody who wants to add me on the basis of veganism/vegetarianism is more than welcome to, as is anybody who wants to add me that is respectful of my lifestyle choices.

Medilia wrote: »
    If you intend to be vegetarian for health reasons please reassess. Ethical, religious reasons are one thing but there is no proof [That I am yet to find] that vegetarian is actually healthier. I do know it makes it harder to get some of the nutrients you need.

Yup! This is so true. With how popular the lifestyle has become, there are SO many vegetarian/vegan alternatives to common foods. Not eating animal products doesn't necessarily translate into a healthy, and balanced diet. In fact, if you don't educate yourself thoroughly about nutrition, the various types of products and are not willing to go explore wide arrays of food, chances are you WON'T be healthy as a vegan. It's really easy to go from depending on meat and dairy for protein-based sources of energy, to carbohydrate-heavy sources of energy, which would surely cause you to easily pack on pounds.

A healthy diet is all about BALANCE - which is harder to achieve when you have a more restricted choice of foods [depending on what you have access to, the time to make, etc., that is]. I'm not going to argue with somebody about their personal choices, but i will argue with people who make false claims, like the ones that vegetarianism and veganism are 'inherently good for your health'. It's INCREDIBLY hard to be healthy with these lifestyles, unless you have the right resources at your disposal.

Again OP - so if you're doing this strictly for health reasons - i urge you to look at the cold hard facts. Look at lean meats as opposed to cutting out all meats, for example. Not all foods are created equally, but it doesn't mean you should cut out an entire group of foods merely because one is problematic (i mean, you don't avoid every single flavor of ice cream if you dislike one flavor do you.....). :]
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @Biggirllittledreams‌ thank you for your insight.

I personally have difficulty for many years eating meat without putting a face to it. I have decided that I will make the lifestyle change to become a true vegetarian. The moment I told family members that I would be making this change they automatically stated that I wouldn't get enough vitamins and minerals from my food. However I have done my research and will continue to create well balanced meals just without meat, egg, and dairy products. Of course I still have a teenage son at home that refuses to expand his food choices, if it's not steak n potatoes he don't want it. It won't be easy and I'm sure that he will resist eating quinoa, brown rice, and wheat on a more regular basis but it will be worth it for me. So my reasons are not just for my health but for the environment and the animals. I do urge anyone who is thinking of making a drastic change like this to do their research first there are many people who go into a vegetarian diet and get a doctors approval.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    http://happyherbivore.com/2013/07/what-is-plant-based-diet-difference-from-vegan/

and, fwiw, one can eat a "primarily" or "mostly" plant based diet, but yes, I agree that one can't really be "mainly" vegan. Vegan is much more a noun than adjective. cheers
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Vegan is all-or-nothing.

Yes it is. A vegan not only does not eat meat but they do not use any products that come from animals or are produced by animals. No leather, no meat, no eggs, no dairy, no honey or beeswax, no wool or silk, no pearls, etc.

The part about not using animal products is not always true. It's not a requirement for being vegan, which is about diet.
  • yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Vegan is all-or-nothing.

The part about not using animal products is not always true. It's not a requirement for being vegan, which is about diet.

most people adhering to the label of vegan use absolutely no animal products! whereas people who eat a plant based diet are only "vegan" in their diets but not lifestyle. veganism, i consider at least, is a lifestyle and not just a diet