Coffee, Coffee, Coffee!

Options
hellokatee
hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

I drink an Americano every morning with 2 ounces of cream and sugar free flavors. Sometimes I make it at home and sometimes I stop at a coffee stand and get it. It has between 50 and 100 calories, which I don't think is too bad. I used to drink a 24 ounce half n half latte every morning! I also drink quite a bit of Diet Coke throughout the day, although I've really cut back on that as well.

I have been thinking about the "Don't drink you calories" mentality, and I was curious, what are your thoughts on this?

Also, what are your thoughts on the effects caffeine alone (sans the creamer and various sweeteners we all love so much) has on our weight loss efforts and overall health?

I have to admit, I'm a caffeine addict. If someone had told me a year ago that I was thinking about giving up my espresso, I probably would have went crazy on their *kitten*! But here I am, wondering how grumpy I will be the week I finally kick my most enjoyable habit! :ohwell:

Happy weight loss to all!

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 12-18 ounces of black coffee and 1 Coke Zero or Diet Coke a day, and I haven't noticed any negative effects from it on my weight loss. I think moderation is the key, and if you can learn to cut the extras out of the coffee you drink, it might help.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager, I put all the additives in coffee.
    Then, I noticed the 'grown ups' drank it black.
    Figured to be grown up, I'd have to emulate.
    Been drinking it black for decades.
    Tasting coffee with cream and sugar now --- I'd just as soon drink sewer water.
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Lots of good things about caffeine... it speeds muscle recovery, boosts your metabolism, etc. I think that its viewed negatively most of the time because its addictive, but I'll take one little addiction for less soreness and more calorie burn!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    I gave up the diet coke habit - mostly because of all the chemicals. It took about 3 weeks for my body to adjust to not having it all day - and I had some major "withdrawal" headaches. On the other hand...I still have my coffee in the a.m....I'd never get the day started without it! Is it bad for me? That could be debated, but to me this is a lifestyle, not a diet. I can't give up everything I love!

Good luck!
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    I do not drink pop much at all anymore, and if I do, it's Vernors and NEVER diet pop. I stay away from artificially sweetened things as much as possible. Anyway, I have a couple cups of coffee in the morning (small cups - 6oz each at most). I have read over and over that a little caffeine can be okay for upping your metabolism a little throughout the day. Anything over done can have negative effects.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

I concur! All that stuff just ruins good coffee. People probably get into those habits when all they have access to is Bad Coffee...
  • ColeyCannoli
    ColeyCannoli Posts: 147
    Options
    Caffeine usually helps weightloss as it is a stimulant. You'll find a lot of it in those crummy weight loss pills you see everywhere. I remember my professor while doing work on Alzheimer's disease (he works for the MARS institute studying memory retention) and he found that regular coffee drinkers were less likely to suffer from Alzheimer's and if they got it that it was slower to attack. Now, I don't know how well it was proven but caffeine is not as bad for you as people seem to think. I do think you could make your daily cup a little less calorie filled though. Try just black or with some sweetener? Maybe opt for the skim milk option instead? One cup a day is not adding that much weight to you (I've lost 20lbs and I still get a mocha nearly every morning cause I need to wake up early XP) but you gotta do what you think is best for your body.
    Do some research and maybe try tea instead if you can't get the calories down but still need the caffeine?
    Good luck!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I refuse to compromise on coffee. I like it how I like it, when I like it, and calories be counted. ;)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of coffee, but when I was 15 my doctor told me to make a choice. Continue drinking caffeine, and pass out twice a day (or more). Or stop drinking it and stop passing out.

Thought I love Red Bull and seem to have some kind of affair with Pepsi, I stopped the caffeine altogether. I stopped passing out! Hooray.

I do have chocolate now and then, and maybe a can of Pepsi a week (those nights I have the Pepsi, I have to stay sitting down because I really can feel the effects)

So just from the point of view of someone who is extremely caffeine sensitive, the weight loss aspect is very small. I have been losing weight very well since I started eating better and exercising more. Perhaps if I were able to have caffeine I would lose faster, but even without it you can do very well.
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I refuse to compromise on coffee. I like it how I like it, when I like it, and calories be counted. ;)

I'm with you on that one. I've already compromised so much by cutting out the lattes! :laugh:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I concur! All that stuff just ruins good coffee. People probably get into those habits when all they have access to is Bad Coffee...

Truth. When I can afford good coffee, nothing beats black.

When coffee is bad though...store brand, anyone? It needs a little something... but it's still better than no coffee at all!
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I usually drink my coffee black but one thing you could do to lessen the calories is to use some unsweetened almond milk instead of creamer (VERY low in calories, 35-40 cals per 8oz cup!). Another thing you could do is sprinkle cinnamon instead of sugar in your coffee. Cinnamon has many health benefits. And if its the caffeine you crave, you can have your coffee but also try to drink some green tea throughout the day instead of coffee. Green tea has zero calories and has tons of antioxidants that help speed up your metabolism!
  • CarliBez
    CarliBez Posts: 19
    Options
    I was seriously considering the same topic not minutes ago! I too am caffeine dependant and just today decided to cut back on my cuppacino addiction. Though for financial reasons. I drink it waaaaay too much. I use coffee to kill cravings so it actually aids my weight-loss! Sadly, as with all good things, moderation is key. Two cups of strong coffee a day is the maximum (according to more than one magazine, my other addiction). Best is to start slowly trying to cut back on the cream you add, half a teaspoon at a time. It's amazing how fast you get used to the taste, within a week your old amount will seem too much. Let me know if you need a buddy to kick the habit with you. Apparently it increases the occurance of cellulite...
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options

This. Yes.

French-pressed with freshly-ground beans is the best coffee preparation I've experienced thus far. Clean carafe and grinder are essential. Because the oils are in the coffee and are not caught by the filter, it adds 2-3 calories, but the taste and texture are much smoother. I wouldn't dare add anything to French pressed coffee! One 1lb bag of locally-roasted beans is about $12 average and it lasts me weeks.

If I have over-roasted or stale coffee just to get my fix, I add a dash of cream or almond milk and a little stevia to take the edge off.

I've recently re-embraced my coffee love. Tea is great, but nothing beats coffee for me. And I'm OK with that. Coffee isn't as horrible as people make it out to be. As everyone says about such things, the key is moderation. :drinker:
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Love coffee... but I am a purist!!

If you do not drink coffee, you are missing out on one of the finest legal pleasures of life! I feel sorry for you...
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i had to stop drinking caffiene. i started having PVCs. while they arent dangerous they are annoying and scarey. they lasted for 4-5 days constant.

i dont deny myself anything. if i want a beer with pizza then i'll have it. i try to eat as healthy as i can most of the time. everything is fine in moderation, of course. if you want to drink your calories because you like coffee..fine..indulge yourself.