GIANT swiss chard...check these leafy greens out!

Options
Holy cow!

A friend sent me a text saying she had some swiss chard for me and I thought...great, we love it! But when I got there she had them in a big white garbage bag and I thought...what the heck? I have not seen swiss chard this big before, but apparently it's some sort of giant variety.

can't wait to try it!

1gob46d9uyob.jpg

Anyone have some good swiss chard recipes?

Replies

• tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Holy carp!

There's a tag below the photo: "This image has been resized to fit the page. Click to enlarge." AAAA! NO! I DON'T NEED SWISS CHARD THAT'S ANY BIGGER THAN THAT!!

Well, when you find out what the frell that stuff is and how to cook it, please do report back. I'd love to know.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Pizzoccheri - Casserole with Italian buckwheat pasta, potatoes, Swiss chard, sage, and cheeses... cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/9878-pizzoccheri-casserole ... or sauté it, but what's the fun in that?
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I clicked on this - what!!?? Truly gigantic swiss chard. Amazing!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Would make a good umbrella for me. <3
  • AtlGlamBabe34
    AtlGlamBabe34 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am at a loss for words....
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hahaha that is fantastic! Looks like something out of the rain forest.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Wow, that;s so cool! I had no idea it could get that big. If I were you, I'd use some fresh in salads, soups, & pastas (layered in lasagna). And then cut and freeze for later. Enjoy!
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments.

I think I will make an eggplant lasagna with swiss chard tonight. And blanch and freeze a bunch of it.

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Wow!
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    LOL my goodness that's impressive, but the question remains: will it still cook down to just half a cup?
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ha! Stir fry in a bit of oil (garlic infused...or some herbs would be yummy) and a bit of fresh nutmeg. Yummy. Enjoy!
  • coueswhitetail
    Options
    For those interested, it tasted just like regular swiss chard....I added some to a stir fry for lunch. One giant leaf reduced down to about 1 cup of cooked (excluding the big parts of the stem which I removed to use later in soup or whatever).
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I think if I had those, I would fashion them into a dress and dance around the house pretending to be a fairy or a tiny elf.

But I guess you could eat them, too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Would make a good umbrella for me. <3

Was thinking being fanned.
    200127273-001-two-young-men-fanning-senior-woman-with-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=%2FBwWJ0ZzoIT5vxdOxFilgwRYW%2F3t5rdyULnCxgVXjbkWVd2RbHm7uzvBNDAqT6PV
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I saw this yesterday, but had to look up how to spell spanakopita..... that's what I'd make with it anyhow.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    My conure birdy would go crazy :-)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know if it tastes the same as regular chard. Typically smaller leaves are more tender, but if this is a giant variety that might not hold true. I imagine that thick stem is going to be overly fiberous though.
  • coueswhitetail
    Options
    It tasted about the same to me, I didn't find it overly tough. The thick stem is not very tough either. But I didn't cook up the very thickest parts of the stem yet. Saving it for soup. One website said that the giant variety is one of the only ones where you can eat the stems. You can google Giant Swiss Chard or Fordhook swiss chard to learn more.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'd love to grow some, where are you? I'm in northen CA and can grow regular chard ok.
  • coueswhitetail
    Options
    These were grown in central Arizona. You can google that variety to read more about what their needs are for growing, but I imagine if you can grow regular chard, then I bet this will grow too.