On-The-Go High Protein Breakfast

Options
1992Leigh1992
1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
So on boxing day I will be going to a 6-day, camping music festival.

There are a lot of outlets selling food, but it is also common for people to BYO food.

Financially, it is not realistic for me to buy festival food the whole time so I will be taking food with me. I am not logging during the festival but I do feel like it is important for me to have a high-protein breakfast because that has a strong influence on my eating habits for the rest of the day.

When at home I usually make a protein shake with 27g of vanilla soy protein powder, almond milk and fruit but I won't have my kitchen scales, or access to a bench, fridge or cutting board.

I was wondering if anyone has any good recipes- muffins, protein bars, ect that I could possibly make ahead, cut up and just grab one each day? I realize it would be difficult to meet the same macros but I would like to explore recipes.

I have been looking on the Protein Pow website but am not sure whether or not the recipes need refrigeration. I'm also not sure if the powders in the recipe can be substituted for soy protein powder?

It doesn't necessarily need to include protein powder, but that would be a bonus. I'm looking for something relatively minimalistic in terms of the number of different ingredients I would need to buy.

Things I have in abundance include: oats, chia seeds, bananas, apples, eggs, bran, skim milk, almond milk, splenda and cocoa powder.

Please let me know if you have any good recipes that would suit this purpose, OR, know any low-cost products that I should consider.

Replies

• 1992Leigh1992
    Options
    I'm also sharing with a tent with people so I would prefer something that doesn't fall into what is widely perceived as 'diet food'.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I dont cook worth anything, but quest bars are easy to take anywhere - no worry about melting or getting squished. You could eat two for breakfast - that would be about 42g protein and lots of fiber... Or one with a banana or other fruit?
  • 1992Leigh1992
    Options
    Yeah,I was thinking about Quest Bars because I LOVE them. They are a little pricey unless I buy a whole box though.

But they will be my go-to option if I don't find a recipe. :)
  • aylajane
    Options
    I do make high protein pancakes that travel well and I have left them unrefrigerated for a few days with no issues. I personally use something like - 1 scoop quest protein powder (others work, but not all of them! test) plus 2 oz Premier Protein ready to drink vanilla protein shake (costco)... cook like pancake. I make up about 10 on Sunday nights to eat throughout the week. I usually put jelly and whipped cream on them, but could do PB or something as well. That has about 26g protein...
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    For six days I would probably pack pre-packaged protein bars and buy festival food protein style (e.g. no bun)
    But, if you want to make something easy to travel with that would keep for a few days, you could mix together a banana and 4-5 eggs and make protein pancakes and take those with you to snack on.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    Options
    Hmm.. Maybe I'll make some pancakes so I only have to buy half the amount of Quest bars!
  • 1992Leigh1992
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I really just lack any concept of how long things keep for.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    IKD if this is a suggestion youre looking for but what about Carnation sugar free packets (8 in a box).
    Just put the packets in a zip lock so you don't have to take them in the box.
    Make up your own trail mix of healthy things "youd" eat.
    Can you make up a veggie (zip lock) bag?
    There are 35 cal breads out there...you can put your choice PB or laughing cow cheese on it.
    IDK how string cheese would hold up but those are portable.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    Options
    String cheese is a great snack idea! Thanks.

I have never seen or heard of Carnations until now. I wonder if it exists here in Australia.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    High protein wrap with some cheese and deli ham? I have them a lot and it's like 250 calories and 28g of protein or something, takes two minutes to put together and you can easily eat it on the go.

Although I guess I'm not sure how you'll keep the food fresh for a week.
  • aylajane
    Options
    Hmm.. Maybe I'll make some pancakes so I only have to buy half the amount of Quest bars!

If you make the pancakes without eggs I think they will be ok unrefrigerated. Not an expert on this stuff! I use protein shakes in place of milk, and nothing else to make them and have kept a few days with no issues. A lot of how good they are though will be which powder you use - some cook well and some really, really do not!