Fast Food Addiction and Friends

Options
Anybody else in here addicted to fast food? I can go clean for months at a time but then as soon as I have that one fast food meal, I fall right back into it again and can't stop eating it. It feels almost like alcoholism. Can never have that one bite. Anybody else going through that struggle, feel free to add me or anybody in general. Looking for friends as well. I hope y'all are having a great weekend!

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I still eat fast food. Almost 2 months on mfp
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I used to be. There was a time in my life when I literally ate McDonalds (or Taco Bell, Wendy's, etc) at least twice a day, every day. I haven't had any of the above in about 6 years and don't miss it at all. I still eat burgers and fries and whatnot, but I can make it much better, with higher quality ingredients myself!

Edited to add: I believe you can eat fast food and be healthy, lose weight, whatever, but I can't. After going through what I did with it, I need to avoid it all together. Also I've become a bit of a food snob in my old age, so it makes it much easier! Haha >.<
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Hey man, welcome to the site.

I think the big mistake that many of us make is that they think of fast food as evil. True, you get "more bang for your buck" in terms of calories and nutrition eating clean but nothing wrong with having a little once in a while.

This is why I love to track my food intake. I was like you, binging on fast food. I remember eating like a million calories on fast food one day. I did what I normally do, I logged the calories in MFP, chalked it off, worked out a little to offset the damage and carried on. You WILL have bad days.

One thing that helped me is eating a little bit of bad also. Like, I keep 10-20% of my calories dedicated towards chips or ice cream etc. It helps me curb those binges. Also, I don't AVOID fast food. I just try to control the intake. Don't run away from your cravings, embrace them and try to work around them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider myself an addict but I eat fast food once a week and it doesn't derail me. I try to log my whole day in advance. I can look up most places for menu and nutrition info and really decide what fits my day. Sometimes I get a smaller sandwich or skip the fries. I drink water or unsweetened tea usually. Sometimes I just get whatever and I exercise more to compensate that day.
    Maybe work on cutting down to once or twice a week, plan it out and log it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    In for addiction
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider myself an addict but I eat fast food once a week and it doesn't derail me. I try to log my whole day in advance. I can look up most places for menu and nutrition info and really decide what fits my day. Sometimes I get a smaller sandwich or skip the fries. I drink water or unsweetened tea usually. Sometimes I just get whatever and I exercise more to compensate that day.
    Maybe work on cutting down to once or twice a week, plan it out and log it.

Same. If you can work it into your day, especially by finding a lower-calorie substitute (say, instead of a Whopper I now get a Whopper Jr minus the mayo), then go for it. I've been craving a McGriddle for several weeks now, and this morning I made that my breakfast. You don't need to demonize food, just learn how to eat in moderation (meaning as an occasional treat, not every day). If it isn't possible for you, then by all means avoid pulling into their lots.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I think there's a difference between eating fast food in moderation and being addicted to it. If it's something you can't stop indulging in, then it's best to avoid it. Some people are able to control themselves around those foods but if you aren't able to, then it's a different issue altogether.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Just a heads-up : you're going to really regret the way you titled your thread.

Anyway, there's no reason to "go clean", I order takeaway at least once a week and it sometimes puts me over my calorie count for the day because small orders are pointless bs.

Just keep an overall balance, either eat smaller portions of fast food or eat a little less most days and pig out every now and again. Both work, and require less mental energy than "going clean".
  • ccindpls
    Options
    Sorry to say I am with you on this one. I have to stay away....big shiny M's of doom get me every time. I have to agree it is kin to alcoholism or any addiction for that matter...and right now I am running after the wagon. You are in good company. Maybe if we both apply the wisdom of above posts we can handle it in moderation someday. Meh.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have it sometimes, yes, and yes I like it. But I can go from having a fast food meal to my own cooking pretty easily.

My worst habit seems to be letting things go downhill when snacking, especially on bread-type stuff.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I kind of get into the habit of it I guess you could say. Maybe not "addicted". But I quickly remember that it's not very satisfying.

When this happens for me it's usually a combination of traveling, having a VERY busy week or two, and not having adequate time to plan/prep meals. So my husband and I will go out to dinner at a "real" restaurant and then the next day for lunch I'm like...hmmm...tacos...and it just continues that way throughout the week. I don't believe in any food being "evil" or things like that, but I do notice if I eat fast food 3-4 (or more) times in the same week I just don't feel quite as energetic & good as I do when I eat what I'd call "real" food, either that I have cooked myself or bought in a different type of restaurant that makes fresh food with better ingredients (say, an independent Thai restaurant for example). However, when I just have like 1 lunch per week at Steak N' Shake I feel awesome...I just don't go every day like I might have years ago ;-)