Weight gain after biopsy?

Hi
I have been maintaining my weight quite well for past month or so. Two days ago I had a bone marrow biopsy and I have also been eating later than normal due to late shifts at work. This morning I weighed and even with same intake and exercise yesterday I've gained 3.4 lbs!!!!! I want to believe it is just fluid retention or something weird...but my eating disorder history is telling me it is real and I need to start dieting to lose it. I was wondering if I should give it another day....or should I go ahead and start on a plan to lose this weight.

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Give it a few days - you can't gain 3.4 lb of fat in that short a period of time. It's impossible.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Weight fluctuates daily. Put the scale away. It's clearly a trigger for you.

And no, you do not need to start a plan to lose 3.4 lbs. You do however need to call your therapist and tell them you are experiencing these disordered thinking patterns. Get on top of it now before you spiral down that tunnel again.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    When I am concerned about things or I have a change in routine a gain of a couple of Lbs is not unknown. You mentioned a medical procedure which will have unsettled your system may also contribute. I suggest you continue to follow your usual meal plan and all should be well in a couple of days.

I trust all will prove to be well following the procedure continue to take good care of yourself. All the very best for Christmas and 2015.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    So procedures can cause this weight gain? I think a lot of this fear is more than just weight gain, but also the potential of leukemia which sparked the procedure.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,838 Member
    There are a lot of reasons you may be holding some extra water. Often, the body's response to an "assault" is to release more water into the tissues to better enable the white blood cells to head where the injury occurred. So, yes, your biopsy could be causing a little bit of water retention. Also, the use of NSAIDs increases water retention so if you took aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxin sodium to deal with soreness from the biopsy, that could cause some water retention. When you have a rapid weight fluctuation like that, don't worry about it. It's normal. When your body is done with the extra water, you will excrete it via your kidneys.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Most likely, its water retention-normal weight fluctuations. Give it a few days.