So angry .

Options
Yesterday and today I have eaten terribly. I almost feel as if my cravings are really getting to me!!!!! I will wake up and eat a very good breakfast and lunch, but then around 2:00 I start thinking about french vanillas, poutines or just a pack of smarties!!!!

I dont wanna lose motivation or stop losing weight.
I need help, Im scared and angry with myself.

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key...You can indulged...but make it a wise choice...but don't have 'bad things' everyday...more like a treat a week or month...
  • jojowink
    jojowink Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    don't beat yourself up too badly- we all fall off the wagon once in a while.... Just get back on and reinforce why you want to be healthy & happy:) STAY POSITIVE WITH YOURSELF!
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Define "really good breakfast and lunch"?

I'm on the 17-Day Diet, and by following the food choices it recommends, my cravings are pretty much non-existent. Some food you are eating regularly that seems healthy may be contributing to your cravings.
  • ittzings
    ittzings Posts: 7
    Options
    Everything in moderation, including moderation-- once in a while, you have to go a little wild.

Everyone has a crazy day now and again. The important thing is just to acknowledge that it happened, and that you can easily pick up where you left off. You can start eating well again today. Don't take it as a failure, and don't be angry at yourself for being human!
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    Go for a run/walk/swim etc. By the end of that the craving should be gone or at least it will help keep you motivated to eat better for the rest of the day!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you replace your high sugar cereals with whole fruit and something with more protein, like yoghurt or such, I think the rest of your day might be easier. Same with lunch, but breakfast in your case is really high in carbohydrates.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i plan and have a healthy snack in the mid morning and mid afternoon-- i dont get hungry after supper- that way I dont run into the "I GOTTA EAT SOMETHING NOW" mode- works 99% of the time for me. ps I have chocolate protein bars 160 cals 10 g of protein and vita top muffins 100 cals 4 g fiber (tons of flavors) or fruit- good luck
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Don't give up, and don't beat yourself up. All this means is that you're human! Fallible, just like the rest of us. We all stumble, but we have to get back up. Remember these lines from the song "The Climb":

These struggles I'm facing
    These chances I'm taking
    Sometimes might knock me down, but
    No, I'm not breaking

I may not know it,
    But these are the moments that
    I'm gonna remember most, yeah
    Just gotta keep going

I love that song...so inspirational. Tomorrow's a new day, hon. We all have these dark days....but hey, you can't have rainbows without rain. Hang in there!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    what's a poutine?
  • jessebreanne
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you, but, from ALOT of experience I have found that I get that way because my body needs some extra fat to satiate it. As long as I have 1 cup of coffee w/1TBSP heavy cream or liquid whipping cream at my morning and afternoon snack time I kick my cravings butt! :) It's an extra 100 calories total that I make sure to try and work into my day otherwise I eat like it's going out of style, plus it gives you something to sip on and it takes a while to consume. Good luck!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    have you really taken the time to quiet your mind and check in with yourself? is it emotional eating or are you eating to avoid some feelings? that's usually the case for me when that happens, so all the moderation thinking in the world doesn't help me then. I need to figure out what's making me fearful or sad or anxious and deal with it that way, otherwise i keep going for the knee-jerk fix.

what has helped you in the past?
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you replace your high sugar cereals with whole fruit and something with more protein, like yoghurt or such, I think the rest of your day might be easier. Same with lunch, but breakfast in your case is really high in carbohydrates.

Agreed! I find that that when I have a healthier, more complete breakfast (low on refined sugar, high in protein) I am more full and less prone to cravings than when I have a lower calorie breakfast that is all sugar and carbs (for example, Life cereal, a personal favorite).
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Stay within your daily caloric intake. If by having said craved food will push you completely over the limit, then maybe have half of it. If you feel you must over-induldge yourself into this food, then do it. Get it out of your system. It is, however, important to ask yourself why you feel you're craving the food. If it's to fulfill an emotional void, don't eat it! Instead, put in your iPod and go for a walk. You can't expect yourself to eat perfectly all the time. Sure, some people give the persona that they do, but they too have guilt food. And remember too that just because you've let yourself go over the top with something one day, doesn't mean you can't try again tomorrow. Every day is a new day. Allow yourself to enjoy things or foods that make you happy. Life would suck without great food! And not all great food is good for you. I've been buying dark chocolate and anytime I think I'd normally want to go buy some candy or something else sweet, I'll break off a little piece and eat that, or if I have enough calories to accommodate, I'll eat half the bar. I keep it in stock so I'll have something sweet to turn to when I get a sweet tooth. Keep up the good work and just power through. Don't ever put yourself down though. The worse you make yourself feel, the more likely you'll be to turn to something like food to make you feel better.

6622185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Poutine is fries with cheese curds and gravy on them. Tasty, but definitely a once every couple of months/years thing... at least for me!
  • flsunshine70
    Options
    Hello don't beat yourself up too bad. We all have to splurge every now and then or we'll go crazy. Go for a brisk walk after you splurge and see how many calories you can lose. I have a sedentary job and find myself wanting to munch throughout the day. So if I give in to the desire I tell myself that I have to go and walk the calories off.

I would also try to find out what triggers these desires to splurge and try to avoid them or find something else to pre-occupy your mind to hold off the urge. I also drink water when I find myself hungry for no particular reason especially when I know I've had a healthy breakfast, snack and lunch.

Drink, Drink, Drink, Drink

Good luck.
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've cut my carbs way down (atkins). I eat a couple of eggs for breakfast and mostly protein and salad for lunch. No cravings any more and I'm not too hungry most of the time. My diary is open to all
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth. it helps take that crave out. if you tast mint, nothing else really sounds good. think about how food tastes after you brush your teeth. BLECH!:sick:
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure what "eaten terribly" means to you, as you said that phrase but then the cravings you described didn't sound like catastrophic failures. A pack of smarties in a day, as long as you otherwise stay under your calorie goal for the day, is not bad thing at all. I eat a small handful of gummi bears to keep my sugar craving in check without doing too much fat damage. You find what works for you. I also agree with Jessebreanne who said coffee with creamer works for her cravings. Works for me too, and also staves off hunger between breakfast and lunch for me. I have a desk job and when I feel "munchie" due to boredom, I will drink something like tea, to keep my mouth busy and have some flavor (because we all get sick of water sometimes) without doing damage.

Someone else mentioned you're eating basic cereals for breakfast, and if that's the case, you're definitely going to peter out in the afternoon. Try some steel cut oatmeal with some cinnamon and agave syrup (to sweeten) in it. Agave comes in a bottle and pours out like maple syrup, so it blends in much better than trying to add a sugar substitute, and it's got a low glycemic index to keep your blood sugar from spiking.

If what you really mean is you find yourself eating a *whole bag* of packs of Smarties ;) then the thing to keep in mind is that just because you've made a mistake doesn't mean the whole day is blown and now you should just gorge yourself on whatever you want. It's hard not to say "eff it, I've ruined the whole day and now it doesn't matter what I do", but keep in mind that going 200 cals over is way better than going 700 cals over. Every moment can be a fresh start, not just every day! :)
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I find that eating sugar makes me want more sugar and more food in general. It seems like some of biochemical reaction....similar to addiction....for me. I do mental gymnastics to convince myself it's okay to eat, even though I KNOW I'll be unhappy with myself and not feel physically well afterward.

I finally got tired of the vicious cycle and made a conscious effort to break it. I don't have anywhere near the cravings I used to, and find that most of my 'gotta eat" moments are satisfied with grape tomatoes or carrots or something similar. It took a while, though, and I had to be really patient with myself.
  • brandilea_willoughby
    Options
    Make sure you are not vitamin or mineral deficient. Check with your doctor. Most will tell you to take a good multivitamin. I have found that when I am craving something it generally is because I am deficient in something. God luck!