gastric bypass

Options

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've always been suspect of cutting/splicing/removing parts of internal organs unless it is absolutely 100% the last possible way of surviving.

What is the difference between getting the surgery and being physically forced to eat less food, and not getting the surgery and just will powering through it and eating less? I don't know...whatever...
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    "padding to qualify" that sounds crazy. When you get your exam to qualify you are butt,booty,naked with a hospital gown on..you also have to go through months of weigh ins and meetings with different Dr's,ekg's,blood work,nutritionists,psychologists..depending on your insurance you will see a LOT of professionals for months or years before surgery-you mean to tell me that NOT A SINGLE PERSON realized that they were too thin for the surgery? You are also weighed butt booty naked BEFORE the surgery to make sure that you still qualify.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between getting the surgery and being physically forced to eat less food, and not getting the surgery and just will powering through it and eating less? I don't know...whatever...

You just said it. Willpower. THe surgery replaces your willpower until you can control it yourself. If you could just "will power" through it, of course you would not have surgery. If you have surgery, you physically CANNOT eat too much in the beginning. Over time you can, but surgery buys you time to get control and education and helps with that "willpower". If you choose to not follow the directions and relearn how to eat, you will likely gain it all back. There are definitely ways to eat "around" the surgery, if you figure those out, you did not understand the point of the surgery. I know people who have gone in with their heads in the sand ignoring all the instructions and post op procedures and progressions. They are in that failure bucket.

Surgery is basically a semi-permanent diet pill. Diet pills work for awhile, but eventually you have to learn how to eat - it just helps you get there.
  • ChaoticPotato
    ChaoticPotato Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am not at all qualified to weigh in this discussion but a close friend of mine underwent WLS and i am sure stateside the procedure to qualify for WLS must be quite stringent but the in the country where I live doctors prescribe WLS like candy without any due diligence and and in depth briefing to the patient about risks inherent. Infact they aggressively market this as a quick fix option to get thin via advertisements of dramatic before/after pictures on bill boards. I feel glad that there is a healthy debate about this on MFP because i see too many people i know opting for it without understanding the risks involved
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that all options need to be discussed with trusted medical professionals.

I know 2 people that have had the surgery in the last year; one was a success as of today’s date and the second was not a long-term success. The 1st person fully understood the importance of following a healthy diet post-op in order to maintain a healthy weight. The other person hoped the surgery would help control the problem.

It was suggested by 2 separate cardiologists that I consider surgery, given extreme obesity and multiple health issues. I gave serious thought to having it done for about 6 months. In the end, I decided it was not for me.

Someone told me about MFP and another app and one day I checked them out. It is the first time I have ever been able to control my weight over an extended period of time (over 1 year now). I am now nearing the end of my weight-loss journey and hope to start my maintenance life-time journey in Feb / Mar. –

I do not think one way or another about people that do or do not have the surgery…kudos to all for recognizing a problem and evaluating options.

73641431.png
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »
    I am not trying to start an argument, but I want to share a story about gastric bypass. There is a lady my sister knows from her work in the ER. This lady, an EMT, had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago. Last week, very suddenly, she became very ill (one day she was fine, the next she wasn't). The gastric bypass surgery site had developed a problem, and she quickly became septic. She was on life support for several days; her family is burying her today. Please, if you are considering gastric bypass, DO YOUR RESEARCH. This surgery has proven to be incredibly risky, and many who have had it have long-term complications and health issues. I know there are success stories out there, but here's the thing...this lady was a success story--until she wasn't.

Just food for thought.
    That's so sad! I think it's thoughtful of you to have brought it up and posted your concerns.

There are a number of ppl that come here to prepare for it by needing to lose any number lbs. They stay and lose what the doctor says and get excited and stay and choose not to go the surgery route.

For others it changes their lives in many ways, both good and bad as your Sister has experienced. I suppose for as many successes there are failures (rather hate to use that word)..not so much in not losing but in surgery issues etc.

I think what I saw stand out from your post the most was "Do your research" as with any medical issue, that's a good plan and an important one!

I take from your post grave concern for others that may be thinking of surgery...

I'm not one that chose that route but some on here did for various reasons.

I do agree with another poster that surgeries are risky... ANY medical procedure is...even a very simple one... any thing can go wrong.

Thanks for caring enough to share with other members that may be on the fence and wondering if it's for them.

Hearts <3

• Hearts_2015
    Options
    I did it the poor mans way of busting my *kitten* in the gym and clean eating. It can be done for those that really want results work their *kitten* off. 130lbs down and feeling wonderful. I understand if there is health issues that stop you from walking but I seen people that can do it on their own and just go straight for this procedure for a short cut instead of getting out and sweating. I don't respect those kind at all IMO. Go Hard or Go Home!!!!!! MFP!

Wow, that's fantastic that you dropped 130 lbs!!

I don't want to judge who choses surgery and who doesn't...it's not body, not my doc, nor my health at risk. It's up to use to have the freedom to make our decisions. For some it might be only choice for others it wouldn't be the right one.

But yay you for dropping all that weight, I bet you feel fantastic, you should be so very proud of yourself for all that hard work!!! :)

• Hearts_2015
    Options
    I am not at all qualified to weigh in this discussion but a close friend of mine underwent WLS and i am sure stateside the procedure to qualify for WLS must be quite stringent but the in the country where I live doctors prescribe WLS like candy without any due diligence and and in depth briefing to the patient about risks inherent. Infact they aggressively market this as a quick fix option to get thin via advertisements of dramatic before/after pictures on bill boards. I feel glad that there is a healthy debate about this on MFP because i see too many people i know opting for it without understanding the risks involved

Sadly it seems the US is doing the surgery far more often than in the past for those that need to lose a minimum amount of weight. What I mean by a minimum is compared to the past years. I've read about teens that are 30lbs over weight but get made fun of at school so their mothers and docs have agreed she's a prime candidate... she was 14!

14 and undergoing a life changing surgery when she's not even fully grown. Another I read about was someone that was 50 lbs overweight, same thing, they didn't want to weigh and measure they wanted the weight gone fast instead. In the past I believe someone needed to be very high risk in chronic illnesses (diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol issues etc.) to be even considered accepted for surgery.

It seems sorta shady in some parts as to what's going on with some docs doing surgery on those so young, vulnerable and with insurance it seems they do it anyhow.

But I'm not saying there are not legit docs that make patients meet stringent guidelines... I'm sure there are.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Any of us that are success stories, that have lost the weight and kept it off, are the minority. I can't tell you how many people have asked me, "what are you doing" and sigh when I tell them "1500 calories a day & exercise 5 -6 days a week". They want the magic bullet. They want it to be easy. It's my opinion that many times those who do the WLS and fail or have severe complications do so because they could not stick to the very strict diet needed afterwards. WLS isn't a cop out or a cheat. A dear friend of mine has recently had it. Her diet is stricter than mine. If I want a cheat, I cheat. If she cheats it could literally make her sick.

I chose not to have the surgery, even though I would have more than qualified. That was the right choice for me. But to treat those that do have the surgery as taking a shortcut is just wrong. They have made a different choice, and if they don't change their lifestyles, if they don't stick to the food plan and exercise regularly, it's not going to work for them. And if what my friend went through is typical, she had to do counseling, consultations with multiple doctors and a nutritionist before they let her have the surgery. She did not just wake up one morning and say, "I think I'm going to have gastric bypass surgery today". It just doesn't happen like that.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Nobody who hasn't tried eating small portions of healthy food for six months should have the surgery. There is risk involved. When you have had it, you must eat small portions of healthy food. If you cannot eat small portions of healthy food, you shouldn't even consider taking that risk because you're taking it for no reason.

The point is to force you to eat small amounts. It is not a choice after the surgery. Saying you can't have the surgery unless you can also eat that way by choice makes no sense at all.
    It makes tons of sense to doctors, nurses, dietitians, insurance companies, some of the patients and anyone who has any sense at all. That's why it's a requirement and standard of practice where these surgeries are concerned.

Unfortunately, they don't always ensure that it has happened and people have the surgery without learning how they have to eat after the surgery, which sometimes leads to medical complications and (often) gaining all the weight back.

Yes, I agree, learning to make changes in how we deal with food, our emotions surrounding it, work through our demons before we go through the risk of surgery..

There's other reasons I wouldn't want to lose that fast and that's droopy skin, the grey looking skin, and my head not being able to keep up with so many changes so quickly. For myself I've found it's taking years to work through the 'whys' of how I use food...I could never have figured it out in monthes that it takes for ppl to drop off 100lbs.

I so don't want to gain weight back after working so hard to learn new habits.

Changing habits takes time... I think a life time for some to really reinforce them.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    kmbrooks15 wrote:
    This surgery has proven to be incredibly risky, and many who have had it have long-term complications and health issues.
    Well, yeah, they're making major structural changes to their digestive system.
    Of course they're going to have lifelong major issues with health, digestion, elimination, food, etc.
    And unless they learn to eat right & exercise, they'll regain the weight, even with a smaller or destroyed stomach.
    If they learn to eat right & exercise, they'll lose weight even with a normal, whole, healthy stomach.
    My doctor told me about 30 lb ago that I'd lost as much as they'd expect from someone who'd had a lap band or even gastric bypass. (And they do lots of lap band reversals... can't do that when the stomach is missing.)
    I'm still losing, still whole, still eating normally & exercising.

51637601.png
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There are certain circumstances where the surgery is the last resort for some individuals, but I have to agree that this surgery should not be seen as an "easy fix." While it can help one lose weight, it won't change their eating habits or the emotions that go along with them.

I'm not a fan of the surgery because I do think hard work and dedication can get one better results that are essentially life-style changing. Either way, I understand that in some situations it is required.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I was thin when I was in high school, then I became morbidly obese in the years after and was that way for 10+ years and tried to get it under control and couldn't. My body prevented me from even walking long distances... let alone working out enough to lose weight with proper nutrition on top.
    It's not really about willpower, it's about addiction. You have to change your relationship to food.
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

So learn to eat reasonable portions in order to lose weight, and once the weight starts coming off start moving so you can maintain that loss.

And if you can't "change your relationship with food", the surgery won't be successful.
    If you can, you don't need to destroy your stomach.
    Unless a person is morbidly obese a Dr should not be suggesting surgery. Even with morbid obesity it should be a last resort.
    When I first met my weight-loss doc (an endocrinologist), he asked if I wanted to start the workup for surgery, because it takes a long time & lots of meetings with various personnel.
    I very emphatically told him no.
    I wasn't even really that heavy, so even the offer was a shock...
    My BMI used to be 39.5, now is 29.4 (woohoo!! I'm only overweight!).
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    ValGogo wrote: »
    I agree.

Doctors may tell you that yo uneed to get psych evals and all that but in the end, they want you to get that expensive horrible surgery. If not, then why would they approve so many for people who are NOT morbidly obese? (I actually know a person who was mildly chubby and had it done. She looks like skeletor.)
    Skeletor was pretty jacked. Just sayin.

394200-skeletor08.jpg
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I was thin when I was in high school, then I became morbidly obese in the years after and was that way for 10+ years and tried to get it under control and couldn't. My body prevented me from even walking long distances... let alone working out enough to lose weight with proper nutrition on top.
    It's not really about willpower, it's about addiction. You have to change your relationship to food.
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

So learn to eat reasonable portions in order to lose weight, and once the weight starts coming off start moving so you can maintain that loss.

And if you can't "change your relationship with food", the surgery won't be successful.
    If you can, you don't need to destroy your stomach.
    Unless a person is morbidly obese a Dr should not be suggesting surgery. Even with morbid obesity it should be a last resort.
    When I first met my weight-loss doc (an endocrinologist), he asked if I wanted to start the workup for surgery, because it takes a long time & lots of meetings with various personnel.
    I very emphatically told him no.
    I wasn't even really that heavy, so even the offer was a shock...
    My BMI used to be 39.5, now is 29.4 (woohoo!! I'm only overweight!).

To be fair, a BMI of 39.5 really is "that heavy". I'm down to roughly that BMI (39.0, from 55.4) and it's class II obesity, still.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Do you actually know anyone who had WLS as a first option? I don't.

I know far too many people that think that way. A dear friend had WLS surgery several years ago… simply because she didn't want her nieces and nephews to be embarrassed of her. Her body forced her into a calorie deficit, but she never changed the way (types of food) she ate, her relationship with food, or her activity level. The weight is coming back on.

When I first decided to lose weight… (seriously, right at the very beginning… been at it less than 2 weeks), the first thing my sister suggested to me was that I have WLS. I told her I preferred to try it on my own first.

I also have a co-worker who considered WLS as her first option because she wanted "the easy way out" (her words, not mine) but the only reason she didn't go through with it is because someone told her she could never drink soda again.

While there are many wonderful successes with WLS and it can be a great tool for some… the OP makes a valid point. There are risks and you should do your research before just leaping to that option.
  • ChaniGetsHealthy
    ChaniGetsHealthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For me, WLS is my last option. I have tried so many things and failed at all of them. I would prefer to live and grow old, so this is my last option. It was not a decision I took lightly and actually took me two years to come to. I understand the risks of the procedure, and am willing to take them!