Adding calories to maintain weight

Options
I have reached my maintenance weight after having lost 35 pounds over the last 4 months, most of it body fat around the waist. According to myfitnesspal, I need to add 500 calories per day. I am already at my goal for both protein , fiber, and fat, and do not eat junk fund, and exercise 4 days a week and burn between 500 and 600 calories/day, and burn 100-200 calories per day on the off days. I do not feel hungry or compelled to eat more food just for the calories. I am trying to figure out the best way to add those calories without adding protein or fiber, and am not having much success. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    First, I am wondering why you don't want to increase you fibre or protein? the fibre recommendation is a minimum, not a limit. Plenty of vegetarians eat 70-90 grams a day or more. Also, the guidelines for protein allow an extremely large range of intakes, from about 0.8g/lb (to replenish amino acids used by the body, as measured from nitrogen balance studies) to 1g/kg of body weight (possibly even higher for strength athletes)

I don't know what your normal diet is, but often fat is an easy and tasty way to add calories. Nuts, avocados, seeds and such will up your calories without too much protein. Yes, there is protein in nuts, but it's a small amount; they are mostly fat. If you like salad, all of these things go really well on salad. I don't limit my unsaturated fat intake as long as I am still getting enough protein and carbs and am within my recommended calorie range.

Another low protein choice with no fibre at all is fruit or vegetable juice. Full of nutrients but easy to digest. (If you have any blood sugar issues, pure fruit juice might not be a great idea).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    As you up your calories your macros will go up, so raise them accordingly.
    I am just upping my intake because my exercises are burning into my maintenance calories.

To get to the extra 200- 300 cal I am adding, I am starting with nuts, eggs, and more fruit during the day, and increasing my portion sizes at dinner.

It seems a lot to add to begin with but I am sure it will all blend in. If you find it a bit much to do 500 all at once, add 250 one week and 250 the next.

Cheers, h.
  • andrewyonce
    Options
    I am already consuming 2 tbsps of ground flax, 1 serving of almonds daily, and 2 tbspns of extra virgin olive oil daily. I have to restrict protein because of kidney problems. There is not a lot of calories in high fiber foods, and my physical therapist says that I should keep fiber under 40 grams. Plus the more fiber I consume, the more water I have to drink.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ah, thank you Andrewyonce, knowing why you have those limitations really helps when trying to help you.
    That being said, I am a bit stuck, just try upping portion servings of your non restricted foods.
    Sorry I can't help you more,
    Cheers, h.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If it's mostly fat you want to add then, maybe switch to full-fat dairy (if you eat dairy). Full fat plain yogurt is amazing! You could also eat avocados, mayonnaise, sunflower seeds (or any nuts/seeds in addition to your almonds), whole eggs (you'll get some protein, but mostly fat), and maybe just more oil in things (you could vary among coconut, macadamia nut, almond, pumpkin seed, and other oils--they're all so good in different dishes, or just salads!).

As far as not feeling hungry, I think that the more you add calories, the more you'll want (somewhat unfortunately). I think when we cut, we actually turn off our hunger hormone a bit. Many days, I think I'm hungrier now--almost a year into maintenance--than I was while cutting, and I'm eating more than 1000 calories more per day.

Good luck!