Working out body fat percentage

Options
Please could someone tell me how you determine your body fat percentage.

Also, how do you then monitor it and know it's going down?

I have seen scales that claim if you hold onto metal handles the machine measures your body fat - I am struggling to see how this could work? Does it?

Thank you :)

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The only way to accurately determine body fat percentage is through hydrostatic testing.

Handheld BIA devices are not accurate.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Calipers.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    There are several online calculators which will give you a good idea, it takes a lot of different measurements to calculate but I feel they're not that far off.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    missyme10 wrote: »
    Please could someone tell me how you determine your body fat percentage.

Also, how do you then monitor it and know it's going down?

I have seen scales that claim if you hold onto metal handles the machine measures your body fat - I am struggling to see how this could work? Does it?

Thank you :)

You call a lab that does DEXA scanning, and get an appointment. They're cheap, worth doing.
  • dbmata
    Options
    The only way to accurately determine body fat percentage is through hydrostatic testing.

Only way?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you want to have an accurate idea, you have to have the test done...go get dunked. :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Only way?

It's the only test that's remotely close to being accurate.
  • dbmata
    Options

Only way?

No... it is one of few that are both precise enough and accurate enough to be of value though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The weight loss graph I use says my bmi is 21, but it says my body fat, in big fat red letters is 31%. I have no clue how it estimates this??
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

You call a lab that does DEXA scanning, and get an appointment. They're cheap, worth doing.

+1
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of tools in the web that can help you determine your Body Fat Percentage. Some tools include a Body Fat Calculator, in which you can calculate the body fat percentage for women or the body fat percentage for men.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Only way?

No... it is one of few that are both precise enough and accurate enough to be of value though.
    Prepare for a private message detailing her college experience and calling you names.

All the cool kids are getting them!
    Lol, people who have done that in the past have found out how mean I really am. ;)

• dbmata
    Options

Only way?

Prepare for a private message detailing her college experience and calling you names.

Enough is enough. Quit the childish acts.
    Miss, MFP is precisely 93.72% childish acts, and the probability of a post being silly, or a flight of fantasy is 0.9738.

Oh bodpods have an acceptable error band and level of precision as well. In fact, EWU and WSU both use them in their sports medicine departments for studies. They chose those for the best product they could get outside of a hydro or dexa.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Scalpel is the most accurate way to measure visceral fat, but then one would have to be dead.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Tim_Simons wrote: »
    There's a lot of tools in the web that can help you determine your Body Fat Percentage. Some tools include a Body Fat Calculator, in which you can calculate the body fat percentage for women or the body fat percentage for men.

I really dislike those sites because the numbers end up being so far off.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Scalpel is the most accurate way to measure visceral fat, but then one would have to be dead.

Well, I didn't want to suggest my pound of flesh opinion on it. lol.

I have a feeling a human is as easy to process as a pig carcass.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Only way?

Enough is enough. Quit the childish acts.
    Miss, MFP is precisely 93.72% childish acts, and the probability of a post being silly, or a flight of fantasy is 0.9738.

Oh bodpods have an acceptable error band and level of precision as well. In fact, EWU and WSU both use them in their sports medicine departments for studies. They chose those for the best product they could get outside of a hydro or dexa.

That's great. I know its margin of error is low. However, each doctor I've talked to have all said hydrostatic testing is the most accurate and that's what I'm going off of.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Only way?

Lol, people who have done that in the past have found out how mean I really am. ;)
    I will have to compose a scathing message to send you.

That will be your Christmas gift (sorry, the ****ed up specialty peanut butter store was sold out.)