Need some support

Options
I lost weight a couple of years ago in a healthy way but because I didn't make it a lifestyle change (staying consistent), it didn't stick. This time around I'm trying to be realistic by being consistent and practicing moderation but I'm not losing any weight. I feel cheated because I am thinking long term now but I feel like I'm not going anywhere. Can anyone relate to this and give me some advice on keeping my head up? I really want to live a healthy lifestyle but it seems everything is against me.

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    why is everything against you? Have you started off by learning how to lose weight and followed the advice given in the stickies on these boards? Are you weighing your food and are you at a consistent deficit? Maube that would account for you getting nowhere? Do it properly and then you will have to worry less about keeping your head up. get smart.
  • Xblessed17X
    Options
    I appreciate your directness because I definitely needed a wake-up call. I personally don't weigh my food but I do count calories. I guess I'm expecting things to fall into place because I said they would. I'm not a huge fan of counting calories because I don't want to count calories for the rest of my life but in beginning, I understand that it is helpful. Also, where would I find these stickies you are talking about?

999tigger wrote: »
    why is everything against you? Have you started off by learning how to lose weight and followed the advice given in the stickies on these boards? Are you weighing your food and are you at a consistent deficit? Maube that would account for you getting nowhere? Do it properly and then you will have to worry less about keeping your head up. get smart.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • IamAddictedtoCoconuts
    Options
    What's your height and weight? Are you actually overweight? Initially when i first started i never counted calories, i just wouldn't eat as much as before and worked and and i was losing weight. But then i started learning more and it helped.

I'd suggest using this to find out how much calories to eat to lose weight : http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ . I get you don't wanna count calories forever - totally understandable! Buuut to lose that weight you need to be at a deficit. You don't have to be super strict to the point you need to know exactly the calories, but you can ball park it. At the same time, there's flexible dieting, basically eat what you want as long as it fit your calories (within moderation of course) Nutrition is top in weight loss, when you said you didn't stay consistent, why was that? Did you stop working out? Or did you change your eating habit?
  • Xblessed17X
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I am 5'6 and 179 lbs. I didn't stay consistent at first with my eating habits and then I stopped doing sports and I got stressed out with school so I just stopped. It's no excuse but it's what I did and I'll own up to it. :)
    What's your height and weight? Are you actually overweight? Initially when i first started i never counted calories, i just wouldn't eat as much as before and worked and and i was losing weight. But then i started learning more and it helped.

I'd suggest using this to find out how much calories to eat to lose weight : http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ . I get you don't wanna count calories forever - totally understandable! Buuut to lose that weight you need to be at a deficit. You don't have to be super strict to the point you need to know exactly the calories, but you can ball park it. At the same time, there's flexible dieting, basically eat what you want as long as it fit your calories (within moderation of course) Nutrition is top in weight loss, when you said you didn't stay consistent, why was that? Did you stop working out? Or did you change your eating habit?

• kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for friends here that offer positive motivation please feel free to add me. I started around the same weight and have managed to lose 30lbs. I love this site and having a good set of friends on here for advice and to keep me motivated has helped me tremendously. When you start trying to log everything accurately it can be surprising how much you are eating. Was for me anyway. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • IamAddictedtoCoconuts
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I am 5'6 and 179 lbs. I didn't stay consistent at first with my eating habits and then I stopped doing sports and I got stressed out with school so I just stopped. It's no excuse but it's what I did and I'll own up to it. :)

But don't beat yourself up over the past : ) It honestly happens. I had about 3 unsuccessful weigh loss until i became serious about it. How were your eating habit? Were you only eating specific things and trying to stay away from other food? The thing about step backs like this is that you learn what went wrong so you can just start fresh now. As long as you can look back and see what went wrong and what wasn't working, you'll be fine : )

Also what i found to be helpful was having some sort of plan of what days you'll be working out, maybe it's every other day etc. Also have your fridge stocked with what you'll be eating. Given your height and weight, you could be eating anywhere from 1800 - 2100 cals and lose weight.