Never lifted before--where do I start?

Options
I know it sounds like a stupid question. I posted previously that I reached my goal weight, but I'm flabby. I used to walk a lot but got lazy but I'm back into my walks again. I stay on the cardio machines at the gym (treadmill, ellipitcal) because I have no idea what I'm doing and I feel stupid using the free weights.
And I keep reading conflicting advice. Cardio good! Cardio bad! Stay under your calorie limit! Eat more! It's overwhelming, so that's why I stick to my walks and continue to eat slightly under my calorie limit. At least I know I won't gain weight.

So...how does one start lifting? What weight do I start at? Are the weight machines okay? I know that small weights will have zero effect, but I also know I just can't start lifting 60 pound weights on the first day.

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    One method to determine starting weight from the Starting Strength Wiki:
    The weight you use is going to be determined by the amount you can do for 5 repetitions with proper execution and technique.

The way the "first day" is explained in Starting Strength, the trainee warms up with the bar, then adds a bit of weight and does a set of 5. The bar speed will be identical from set to set. Continue to add weight and do sets of 5 until the speed of the barbell begins to slow.. Keep the weight there and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets of 5" workout for that exercise.

Yes, this is low. It allows for a certain fudge factor that is present when dealing with a novice's ability to evaluate his own technical performance.

Generally, if a newb says "I benched 135 x 5 for the first time, my technique was great!", what he really means is that "I benched 135 x 5, but I probably should've only used about 120 or 125"

Be on the safe side, start lighter than you think you need to, and go from there. This also helps develop a base of conditioning with slightly less weight than absolute max, which helps reduce initial DOMS.

Let me say that once again.

Start off using weight that is LOWER than you think you can handle, and progress upward. It is better to use weight that is too light than weight that is too heavy.

The machines are up to you but most people recommend a barbell program like Starting Strength, StrongLifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You have a couple of options. If your gym offers trainers, schedule an appointment and specify you're interested in learning how to use the free weights. You could have a friend show you ... risky if they don't know what they're doing, but an option. There are multiple books and videos ... New Rules Of Lifting for Women being one of the more popular or Stronglifts. Learn the basic compound lifts first. They hit the major muscles and involve a lot of the stabilizers. It's economy of training. Machines are not inherently evil but they do not require the same muscular or nerve pathway involvement as free weights since they stay within a delineated path.

Where to start weight wise is completely an individual thing. Maybe that's a curling bar or light dumbells ... maybe it's every plate in the gym. Start light, keep adding weight until you're challenged to get through your sets. Keep track and progress.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You have a couple of options. If your gym offers trainers, schedule an appointment and specify you're interested in learning how to use the free weights. You could have a friend show you ... risky if they don't know what they're doing, but an option. There are multiple books and videos ... New Rules Of Lifting for Women being one of the more popular or Stronglifts. Learn the basic compound lifts first. They hit the major muscles and involve a lot of the stabilizers. It's economy of training. Machines are not inherently evil but they do not require the same muscular or nerve pathway involvement as free weights since they stay within a delineated path.

Where to start weight wise is completely an individual thing. Maybe that's a curling bar or light dumbells ... maybe it's every plate in the gym. Start light, keep adding weight until you're challenged to get through your sets. Keep track and progress.
    This is all solid advice. If you don't utilize a trainer, make sure you find a lifting program that works for you. I personally watched YouTube videos for days to understand what my form should look like. Go to the gym with a purpose. You should know which lifts you are going to do before you enter the gym. Track your progress for each lift.

Bodybuilders will tell you cardio is bad because it burns precious muscle. They are doing it wrong :) Skinny girls will tell you lifting makes you bulky. They don't understand how science works. Find a balance between lifting and cardio and you will see results.

You said you are at your goal weight, so eat for maintenance. When you work out, eat your calories back. You may need to adjust your macros to ensure you are getting enough protein and fat in your diet. Shoot for around 1 ounce of protein per pound of bodyweight, and about half that for fat.
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bumping for this great advice. Thanks!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dottydawn73
    Options
    Bumping for later :)
  • bmalone62
    bmalone62 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    This is the kind of question/thread that should be stickied...no?
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women was a great starting point for me! I started way lighter than I probably needed to and worked my way up to the heavy weights. It made the beginning a little less intimidating for me.
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to think this may be a good idea for me. I must say I hate gyms with a passion, spent a fortune on memberships in the past and never gone regularly however I have lost 46lbs and have 10lbs to go and feel I need to tone up. There is a pay as you go gym near me, more expensive than a membership but at least I won't be committed and end up paying for 12 months and only go 4 times. I walk about 20 miles a week so get plenty of cardio exercise. Would you agree that the best way to tone and shape is weights or am I being silly considering something that I don't enjoy? I haven't stuck to this diet to just look thinner, I want to be toned and shapely too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Beginning lifting should definitely be done with correct instruction. If you're in a gym, then pay for one session with a trainer to at the very least, get the correct information on form, breathing and technique.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    So many times at the gym I see people coming in and not know what theyre doing, they do things like mope around, lift weights thats gonna hurt them and look totally disinterested, so my advice is this. Be prepared before you start tackling weights, go online, read books and know what your going to work on before you go down there. I bought a fitness bible, it was priceless for me. Once you ve done this make a plan on a notebook and take it with you, then start of light and add small weight at a time. For instance if you start off on the bench press, dont go racking 135lbs, start of at maybe 65 or just use the bar (weighs 45lbs) and move up in 10lb increments, write this all down. then the next time your working out you know where you left off and when that becomes too easy, move up a weight.

A Monday starts of for me like this

Bench Press
    5 Sets, Reps - 5,5,5,5 as many as possible
    195lbs

Banded Press
    4 Sets, Reps - 6,5,5,5
    195lbs

Pull Up
    4 Sets, Reps 6-8 <--- I can only do one full set lol

Dumbbell Curl
    4 Sets, Reps 6-8
    35lbs

Lying Tricep Extensions
    4 Sets, Reps 6
    Ez Curl Bar with 70lbs

30 - 45 minutes of Cardio.

So next Monday I will know exactly what I did yesterday as I work out 6 days a week and no two days are the same for me. when I started of on my bench press to finish all my reps I had to start of at 105lbs. It normally takes about two to three weeks for me to move up but now Im getting stronger and the weight keeps going up and it will for you too.

sorry for the rant lol