Help, I've begun regaining weight:(

Options
Hi everyone! This is my 1st post here, but I've been using MyFitnessPal for about a year. So, I begun my lifestyle change about a year ago, and since then have gone from 212 LBs to 145. I'm very proud of how far I've come, but here's my problem. Over the past few months, I've lost alot of my self control. I'd have a cheat day here and there, then another, and slowly it added up. I can hardly go three days without messing up and eating a ton, and I've paid the price: 8 LBs. I'm just looking for someone who's gone through something similar and has any advice, because I want to lose those 8 pounds and maintain a healthy, happy lifestyle. Thank you:)

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Figure out your maintenance, set your goal to 0.5lbs/week or 10% deduction from your maintenance calories, eat whatever food you want within your calories.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    First things first. You need a more positive mindset. You DO have control remember that. The minute you start doubting yourself is the minute you start to slip. Second, to prevent yourself from feeling restricted, go ahead and have those unhealthy foods, just make your you fit them into your calories and macros first. If you have any questions I would love to help and feel free to message me
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've been through it, but for me it was more like 20 lbs instead of 8. For me, actually stepping on the scale and admitting that I weighed more than I wanted was what I needed to begin taking steps to lose weight. You're fortunate because you are only a month away from being back where you were. I've got 2500 miles of cycling in this year and I'm just now at the weight I was at the end of summer a year ago.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Be glad it was only 8 pounds, when you decided to put a stop to it.You know what you need to do to lose, because you've already done so. Then you need to get on maintenance and follow it.
  • IamAddictedtoCoconuts
    Options
    Sometimes you just need to take a little breather and eat. But i don't mean binges lol. When you have these cheat meals/days, are you eating things you don't usually eat because they're "not good for you"? There's always a cause for binging. Also you DIDNT mess up. Don't beat yourself over this. Losing weight can sometimes mess you up if you're going down the " i shouldn't be eating this or that because it's not healthy". Also are you eating enough? Or do you eat too little and then you start binging and it keeps going?
    I;ve been through binging and its just plain sucks, it seems like this never ending cycle. But it's not. How do you find the motivation to stop? You just decide. Find the reason you started binging in the first place. This is a lifestyle change, binging is an indication that something is going wrong. It's easy for anyone to say how those 8 pounds don't matter and how you should just get back to the gym. But when you're in that situation, you're freaking out about your weight. So again it all comes down to why you're binging. Once you find it, change it.
  • littlemonsterferlyfe
    Options
    Thank you everyone for posting. I just feel like everytime I would binge (like I did AGAIN tonight) I would think, "Oh well everyone thinks I'm thin, I'll just get back on the healthy grind tomorrow." I'll get back to eating healthy for 2, maybe 3 days. Then it'll happen all over again. This has happened for the past 4 months, and I'm very scared and sad. I worked so hard to lose this weight, and my entire life has changed for the better because of my weight loss. And just this morning I noticed my face becoming rounder and ugh. I feel like when I would binge, it would start with just going over my calories, and I just can't stop myself. I would keep going and keep eating.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe your 'eating healthy' days are too restrictive, in either foods or calories? How low of a calorie level do you try to maintain? Do you also remove food groups/types? Do you need more of a break from calorie counting? Because a binge is a great "out" for the day, and logging isn't a natural thing! But there are other things you can do.

You accomplished a LOT in a short amount of time. Go easy on yourself. We all regain a little after huge losses. The trick is finding what works for you for the long haul. It's not easy. Good luck!
  • bhay123
    bhay123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a mirror image to my situation. Started at 240, lowest was 155 back in June and I have gained 10 pounds in six months! I moved to a new city and gained a boyfriend and I've lost track of my good habits - eating and exercising. I'm here for support as I try to get back on track my self. Today I created a new account - it felt like I was starting fresh. Feel free to add... good luck to you!!
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I lost 100, was down to 155. I'm up 20 :( determined to get back on track - after Christmas of course...It's such a different mindset when you've lost so much and then gain. Everyone tells me I look great, don't need to lose, can't tell I've gained (LIARS!!) I can and I feel so depressed about it but I keep telling myself I'll get back on track and then something else comes up.

I like the idea of starting fresh. I have so many MFP friends that friended me because of my success and looking for me to motivate them. But I could really use some friends in my same boat...
  • littlemonsterferlyfe
    Options
    I eat on a healthy day ranging from 1300-1500 calories. I think a big problem for me is that I eat WAY too much in the morning and use up a lot of calories so I don't have a ton left over for the rest of the day, and I just feel limited and stressed and I binge. So I'm going to work on that. And bhay123 and tmt2003, I'm in the exact same boat! Life happens and it gets so stressful sometimes. Feel free to add me:)