Oats - calorie bang for your buck

Is anyone BLOWN AWAY by how much food you get from the same calorie of oats compared to other breakfast foods?

I feel full at around 28g dry weight of rolled oats + toppings which is about 200 calories.

Now if I was eating bread I could easily eat a few slices up to 4 and cereal I could eat bowls.

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    I eat 360 calories worth of oats just about every day. I love them.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Or 6 oz of chicken breast (180) calories, very filling
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    During the workweek I eat 2 homemade oatmeal protein bars every morning, 300 cal, and those things keep me full all morning.
  • SuperSaiyanEva
    SuperSaiyanEva Posts: 39 Member
    mygnsac wrote: »
    During the workweek I eat 2 homemade oatmeal protein bars every morning, 300 cal, and those things keep me full all morning.

Would you mind sharing your recipe?? I love oatmeal but sometimes its gets a little boring. An oatmeal protein bar sounds awesome.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm still confused about how people can get 'full' on oats, but I guess maybe two servings would do the trick...
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm still confused about how people can get 'full' on oats, but I guess maybe two servings would do the trick...

I get full on oats by eating 40g plus almond milk plus 70g mixed frozen berries (defrosted of course) plus 1 tablespoon peanut butter mixed in!
    So filling, fulfilling and long lasting!
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    I have 30g oats made with coconut milk and with 10g seeds, a square of Lindt 90% chocolate, and a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in for my pre-bedtime snack every weeknight. Yummy!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I always have to double the oat serving, or I'd never be full on it. Then it balloons to over 400 calories. Which is OK (my typical breakfast is 650 calories).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My serving size is 60g so guess that helps!

(These tiny portion sizes are making me feel like Mr Creosote!)

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I love oats, but I would definitely need two servings to feel full, or a lot of filling toppings like peanut butter, which bring the calorie content up even more. I usually use 30 g oats for my overnight protein oatmeal recipes and, yes, they're delicious, but am I full after eating them? Nah.

I rarely get "full" eating what I eat (right now an average of 2000 calories per day to maintain). I'm not usually hungry, but I'm not full either.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I know many folks don't find oats filling, but I do. 40g serving for me, plus a coffee slam w/ milk, and I'm good all morning. Disclaimer--I'm typically not hungry in the morning, so the days that I am, it doesn't take much to start my day.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Porridge with almonds nearly every morning <3
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    I have made baked oatmeal frequently the past couple weeks - it's fantastic! Very filling as well, I agree.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    I would feel way more full having 3 eggs personally.
  • 40g every day with 10g nuts fills me up well for 210 calories. Sometimes I'll have them with chocolate chips as a late night snack when I've got a sweet tooth.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I add a half portion of protein powder to it, with trail mix and I'm good to go.
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Steel cut oats in the crockpot every morning here. Really filling and yummy.
  • Porridge with almonds nearly every morning <3
    mygnsac wrote: »

Yes, please share your recipe!
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    I love oats....I make so many different versions of oatmeal, usually involving chocolate in some way. I also add egg whites to my oatmeal to make it more filling. Doesn't affect the taste as I put a few different toppings in.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Most days I eat a quick oatcake for breakfast. Very filling, calories vary between 350 on the low end to 550 on the high end, depending on what I put in it, but it's usually easy to keep it in the low 400s.

The base is oatmeal porridge made with 40g oats and 6 oz milk that I pre-make several portions of at the beginning of the week. Then in the morning I add stuff: an egg or egg white (as a binder) and spices and fruit usually. Lately I've been mixing in canned pumpkin + a bit of dried fruit (crystallized ginger and raisins), but my fave is a smashed banana plus a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips. Half an apple plus some PB2 is delicious. Or even some bacon and cheese and green onions or chives. Yum.

Anyway, after I've added whatever to my magic oat potion, I tip it into a pre-heated nonstick skillet on medium low and give it about 7 minutes per side. So delicious and satisfying.