Anyone else so hungry sometimes?

Options
Is it just me or are there time where you are just so hungry all the time?!? I am trying very hard to stick to my calories. I drink a ton of water and try to break up my meals into several small meals. But I swear, sometimes, I am ravenous!! Like today!

Any advice for how to handle this?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    No real advice here, just wanted you to know you aren't alone. I call them my hungry days. I'll eat plenty of protein, there isn't anything in specific I'm craving, I'm just hungry. Sometimes what I'll do is have a diet soda (I'll probably be burned at the stake for suggesting that!). I keep a 12 pack of diet root beer for times like that. If I drink that and eat some baby carrots and hummus, sometimes it works. If all else fails, try to get a little more exercise in so you can eat more. If that doesn't work, and you are truly hungry-eat. There is a deficit built in and one day shouldn't ruin all your progress.
  • gdhoie
    gdhoie Posts: 2
    Options
    Totally with you! I try to eat more veggies when I'm hungry or my other trick is to eat a 1/2 c. of oatmeal it's a bit more of a filler. If I'm still hungry then I try to go for a walk just to take my mind off of it and truly see if I'm still hungry!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    It must be something in the air today. I am SO hungry. I'm eating the same kinds of foods and in the same proportions I ate yesterday and yesterday I was fine and today my stomach is growling. Same activity level, same water consumption, same desk job. Can't figure it out. I wish I had a better tip to offer. I'm just drinking extra water and counting the hours until I can get home and eat my dinner!
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    that was me yesterday...just ravenous! I do drink a can or two of diet pop throughout the day when I'm soooo hungry. One thing that helps me is dill pickles. You can't eat 'em fast, they're cold, crunchy, and seem to satisfy. I agree with the protein. I roast a turkey breast a couple times a week and eat it for snacks and take some extra when I feel that hungry monster approaching.
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Haha! ME TOO!!! I'm having a hard time today and I have those days a lot. I don't know what is causing it or how to solve it without giving in. :( Oatmeal certainly is filling but I think I have discovered that that unending hunger seems to be mental on those days for me. My stomach growls and all but than when I cave in to the unexplained hunger, I eat so much it hurts. So I am pretty sure it's a mental thing more so than physical.
  • PNWriter
    Options
    I meant I roast a turkey breast every couple of weeks. Hahaha. That would be a LOT of turkey!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    How about every day? :/ I have to eat several snacks throughout the day to keep my stomach from literally eating itself. I think it's because I really ramped up my cardio lately. It sucks!
  • pnutstukel
    pnutstukel Posts: 1
    Options
    The trick, for me at least is fiber and protein. Another good one is distraction, for me it's homework and working out. Trick that brain, the main reason we get hungry is boredom. If that doesn't work, stock the house with healthy snacks you can pick up here-and-there. (I also put a picture of the "old me" when I weighed where I want to be at. I remind myself to stay on course if I want to achieve it.) YOU CAN DO IT!
  • denise007
    denise007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not sure how long you are with MFP - but I was like that for the first two weeks and then I adjusted - Sometimes if I've indulged our done a lot of exercise I'm starving - then I just try to eat healthy and make good choices - my sweet and very filling blast now is a bowl of fruit fat free yogurt and some museli on top - really satisfying and filling -espically if followed by a big glass of water - I know it can be a big cal hit - but the food groups are good and it gets me through - goo luck D
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I would ask what your protein intake was??? Protein is what keeps you fuller longer. Fiber can be another factor. Maybe try to add some protein via Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese and see if it helps at all!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the midst of working out hard for a few days, I'm ravenous! I talked to a bodybuilding/nutritionist friend of mine, and she told me that's my metabolism telling me I need to feed myself!

She said, "As long as you are truly feeding yourself what your body really needs (cottage cheese, walnuts, and apples or peanut butter and bananas on sprouted wheat bread, you won't gain weight." She was right. You can look at my food diary and there are days in early April where I was eating around 3500 calories a day, and I didn't gain a pound! I burned fat and put on two pounds of muscle, and stayed the same size.

If you're feeding yourself whole foods (complex carbohydrates, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, low-fat dairy, eggs, sprouted grain breads, and limited, but healthy, fats) you will be giving your body what it needs and you will probably lose weight!

Please message me or friend me if you have any questions. This is an especially hard topic for people trying to lose weight, but your body is responding the way an athlete's body responds. Listen to it!
  • Redbella
    Redbella Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Of course that is why I am on this site in the first place. If my body and mind acted normally I would be stick thin and worrying about some other probelm I have to deal with. When I am really hungry I try to eat things that I can eat more of and not feel guilty. Like salad, fruits if I need a sweet, or pickles if I feel I need salt, and veggie is good. Try to listen to ur craving and find a way to "give in" without ruining all ur progress. If not one day wont kill u just dont make it a habit.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I meant I roast a turkey breast every couple of weeks. Hahaha. That would be a LOT of turkey!

You know, when I read your first post, I was thinking just that! LOL! Not to mention the expense...
  • PNWriter
    Options

You know, when I read your first post, I was thinking just that! LOL! Not to mention the expense...

No kidding :)