Losing weight with sprained ankle- need advice

Options
Hey guys,
So I have been steadily getting in better shape over the last year (I started ballet, and wanted to be good, so it just became a nice habit to workout regularly)...but while I have improved my overall quality of eating, I never quite gave up eating junk food on occasion. I am also an emotional eater at a stressful period in my life. So even with all improvements last year, I probably eat more than I should, and not the nicest things...especially for being a dancer. I have dance for an hour 3x weekly and I generally do 20-40 min workouts daily (some warm up/exercise + some active or passive stretches, some cardio, occasional yoga). That plus good metabolism got me to keep losing weight last year. Actually, I stayed the same weight, but dropped a lot on dress size and shaped up good amount. Generally I was happy with the speed of progress, and always thought I will improve my diet very slowly over time...
However things have changed. I sprained my ankle a week ago, and it was moderate (grade II) sprain and I was told to have minimal movement...plus my ankle is wrapped in cotton and bandage for at least 5 more days...I don't want to lose shape, so I'm trying to do some floor barre(ballet exertcises but laying on the ground), and work on abs/arms but I don't want to lose shape or gain weight these weeks while I rest. I did start to see that pretty much changing my diet would be the "easiest" way to go while I'm working on my ankle healing, but I am still an emotional eater. I want to find a way to lose 0.5-1lbs weekly, rather than gain because I'm resting more. Any advice from people who have trouble changing their eating habits? I know it sounds like a simple thing- you want change, then eat better...but I still haven't been able to do it until now...anyone have any advice?

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The best advise I can give is log log log.....everything!

I still struggle very much not to binge now and again but actually logging everything even if I do can help. Sometimes I get in the mindset of "oh I have blown it" so a take away and ice cream will turn in to 3-4 days of overeating on junk. Where if I'd logged it then I probably would have only just been over my TDEE and been able to pull it back.

Good luck and hope you heal up soon x
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Is swimming an option? Maybe yoga/pilates, with no weight bearing on the ankle. Good luck and good healing!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you dont need to change your diet, you just need to make sure you're eating below maintenance.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    People with ankle braces can use a recumbant bike. I just got out of a cast with a broken leg and tried to maintain my fitness level during that time. I ended up geining about 4lb in 2 months due to inactivity, meds and stress even though I was petty active and eating at maintenance. In the last 2 weeks, I've become more active again and dropped a pound.

Take care of your health first.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I had the same problem a few years back when I broke my foot. I was in a soft cast for 3 months and ended up gaining 20 lbs. I would agree with other posters who advise using a recumbent bike and doing floor work (pilates, yoga). I also did upper body when I was injured. However, my mistake was eating the way I had prior to the injury. Despite the floor work and upper body exercise, your BMR is just not going to be as high as if you are just plain able to walk around all the time. It slows way down, and remains low even for a couple of months after recovery. My advice is to figure out what your BMR is as sedentary (rather than lightly active), and just eat that amount, and add in the calories calculated by MFP (or whatever fitness tracker you use) for the other exercise. That way, you will be adequately nourishing yourself for the current activity level you're at. Once you're recovered, you can then set your calorie intake back to whatever activity level you're at. As far as being able to lose .5 to 1 lb. a week, very unlikely with an injury, unless you're willing to starve yourself, not a good idea if you're trying to recover from something.