Coffee Prices at All-Time High

Options
SaraTonin
SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
I was listening to the radio yesterday and they mentioned that not only have gas prices risen in the US, but coffee prices are at an all-time high of over $3/pound.

Just one more reason why you don't need that daily cup of joe!!

Replies

• thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    what are the other reasons?

coffee is still one of the cheapest drinks out there.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Buy your coffee at McDonald's instead of Starbucks! It's delicious and inexpensive!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not bad,heres some health benifits of drinking it
    Reduced Gall Stones

The Harvard School of Public Health recently published a study indicating that drinking caffeinated coffee on a regular basis can dramatically decrease the incidence of gall bladder disease and gall stones in both women and men.

Reduced Risk for Alzheimer's Disease

Two studies, one published in the European Journal of Neurology, have shown that individuals who drank about 2 cups of caffeinated coffee per day were less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease than individuals who drank no coffee or a small to moderate amount.

Reduced Risk for Parkinson's Disease

Studies have shown that the amount of coffee and caffeine consumed could be inversely related to an individual's likelihood of contracting Parkinson's disease. This means the more coffee you drink, the lower your chances are for developing the disease.

Antioxidants and Cancer-Fighting Properties

Coffee is a powerful source of antioxidants - agents that combat cancer-causing free radicals. Coffee is chock full of the compound methylpyridinium, which can't be found in many other food items and not at the level available in coffee. You can get antioxidants from both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee as long as the beans are sufficiently roasted.

Increased Cognitive Ability

Studies have shown that regular coffee drinkers frequently score significantly higher on cognitive ability tests, spatial awareness exams, IQ tests, and short term memory studies.

The effects of coffee on an individual's cognitive ability appeared to be more pronounced in elderly study participants and women.

Bowel Stimulation

Coffee is a stimulant and also a laxative. Some alternative practitioners even prescribe coffee enemas to stimulate the lower colon.

However, because coffee is also a diuretic, it can cause constipation in some individuals.

Reduced Risk for Gout

A large study of over 45,000 men that was conducted over a 12-year period showed the amount of coffee consumed was inversely related to their risk or likelihood of developing gout.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1187074
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    Water is cheapest.

My main reason?

I don't like being dependent on ANY substance.

Other reasons:
    - Caffeine
    - Addictive
    - Increased heart rate possibly attributing to heart disease
    - Osteoporosis
    - Raises cholesterol
    - Heartburn
    - Negative effects on sleep
    - Dehydration
    - Unnecessary

Of course it's fine in moderation, but it's not BETTER for you, and you don't NEED it.

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    No I dont need it but I like it,I drink atleast 4 liters of water a day so I think its ok to indulge in a few cups of coffee.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Reduced Gall Stones

Wow, I've always drunk a lot of coffee, but still had gall stones and ultimately a cholecystectomy.
    Still drinking the stuff though because I enjoy it :-)
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    ♥Violette♥4Ever♥ Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Reduced Gall Stones

The Harvard School of Public Health recently published a study indicating that drinking caffeinated coffee on a regular basis can dramatically decrease the incidence of gall bladder disease and gall stones in both women and men.

Reduced Risk for Alzheimer's Disease

Two studies, one published in the European Journal of Neurology, have shown that individuals who drank about 2 cups of caffeinated coffee per day were less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease than individuals who drank no coffee or a small to moderate amount.

Reduced Risk for Parkinson's Disease

Studies have shown that the amount of coffee and caffeine consumed could be inversely related to an individual's likelihood of contracting Parkinson's disease. This means the more coffee you drink, the lower your chances are for developing the disease.

Antioxidants and Cancer-Fighting Properties

Coffee is a powerful source of antioxidants - agents that combat cancer-causing free radicals. Coffee is chock full of the compound methylpyridinium, which can't be found in many other food items and not at the level available in coffee. You can get antioxidants from both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee as long as the beans are sufficiently roasted.

Increased Cognitive Ability

Studies have shown that regular coffee drinkers frequently score significantly higher on cognitive ability tests, spatial awareness exams, IQ tests, and short term memory studies.

The effects of coffee on an individual's cognitive ability appeared to be more pronounced in elderly study participants and women.

Bowel Stimulation

Coffee is a stimulant and also a laxative. Some alternative practitioners even prescribe coffee enemas to stimulate the lower colon.

However, because coffee is also a diuretic, it can cause constipation in some individuals.

Reduced Risk for Gout

A large study of over 45,000 men that was conducted over a 12-year period showed the amount of coffee consumed was inversely related to their risk or likelihood of developing gout.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1187074

I second this as well.
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    I'm just encouraging people who are trying to kick the habit or drink too much. If you like the taste or have it every once in a while, there's no problem with that. Same with soda or anything else.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Water is cheapest.

My main reason?

I don't like being dependent on ANY substance.

Other reasons:
    - Caffeine
    - Addictive
    - Increased heart rate possibly attributing to heart disease
    - Osteoporosis
    - Raises cholesterol
    - Heartburn
    - Negative effects on sleep
    - Dehydration
    - Unnecessary

Of course it's fine in moderation, but it's not BETTER for you, and you don't NEED it.

Please, it's not exactly crack or heroin.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm not shocked by this.. we raised the prices of our espresso and coffee drinks recently at my work in response to raising coffee bean prices
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    Please, it's not exactly crack or heroin.
    Not exactly, but an addictive substance is an addictive substance.

My mom took YEARS weaning herself off of caffeine in soda, unable to take even mild withdrawals.