ZUMBA Classes

SemperAnticus1643
SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone know where I can calculate how many calories I burn during a Zumba class? Or what I could classify it under on MFP to be close to accurate?

Replies

• carolinenp
    carolinenp Posts: 125 Member
    I have heard about 500-600. The best thing to do is get a HRM. I LOVE Zumba!
  • melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    They don't have it in the database, best to wear a heart rate monitor. I am 5'4", 140lbs and average a burn of 700 calories during an hour of zumba.
  • I calculate mine under dancing general!
  • jlemerande
    jlemerande Posts: 10
    You can try "fast ballroom dancing" because that's probably closest. However, my Zumba instructor actually uses a body bug and it says she burns 400-500 cals/hr
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    A HRM is the best way to "know" but, I don't have one and guess around 500 cals per class :)
    ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUMBA!
  • jlemerande
    jlemerande Posts: 10
    really!? that's awesome!
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    it also depends on how much you weight. if you weigh less, of course you burn less. I weigh around 175 and I burn on avg 800 calories/hour. I have also been doing zumba for almost a year and I know the moves or can pick up quickly on a new routine. so part of it is based on intensity. there is a dance, general workout that I notice a lot of people use. Good luck!
  • miatavixxen
    miatavixxen Posts: 373
    huge variety of what everyone burns - until i got my HRM i logged it under aerobics, high impact and it is pretty close to what i burn with my HRM.

LOVE LOVE LOVE ZUMBA. they just added a third class on saturdays so now i have 3 group classes per week plus the toning one i do at home. :D
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    I list mine as Dancing, ballroom, twist, etc...
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    I weigh 230, have been doing Zumba about 3-4 times/week for a year now. I burn between 500 - 600 for a one hour class at high intensity. I thought I was burning way more until I bought a HRM and realized that I burn about 100 cals/10 mins at my target Heart Rate. I used to log it under Dance/Aerobics High Impact and it wasn't too far off.

Peace, Love and Zumba!
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Go to walmart.com(fitness page)....they have a calorie counter on their..you put in your age and weight I think and they have Zumba...I compared it to my HRM and it was pretty close!!!
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    I log it as Aerobics, high impact mostly as it gives me the same buzz that areobics used to give me.

But, have just got a HRM so will see what that says for 151lb and 64 inches on Saturday (having a rest week - normally do Zumba 4X a week!! LOVE it)
  • safran01
    safran01 Posts: 6 Member
    me too
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    258 according to nutracheck (that's for 5'1", BMI approx 21)

You can't log it as High Intensity Aerobics! Something like Body Attack is High Intensity Aerobics - squats, burpees, jumping jacks, high knee runs, superman planks etc - Zumba is a dance class and shouldn't be logged as anything higher than that or you're going to end up overeating.

MFP lists dance as about 230-250 for me. I'd say Zumba was that at the most.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Well I went to my first Zumba class last night and absolutely LOVED it!! We have Zumba 3 times a week at my gym so I will be going to class 2 times until soccer season is over. One night of Zumba class is at the same time as my daughters' soccer practice. And thanks for the tip. I will get an HRM.
  • betharose7
    betharose7 Posts: 53 Member
    I've been doing zumba for about a year now and was really curious to find out how many calories I burn during an hour long class. I got a heart rate monitor watch and was pleasantly surprised to find I have been burning on average 700 calories per class sometimes a little bit more. It varies for everyone I guess and it always depends on how much effort u put in right?! Whoooo ZUMBAAA!!!!! lol :D
  • TeamLeela
    I've been doing zumba for about a year now and was really curious to find out how many calories I burn during an hour long class. I got a heart rate monitor watch and was pleasantly surprised to find I have been burning on average 700 calories per class sometimes a little bit more. It varies for everyone I guess and it always depends on how much effort u put in right?! Whoooo ZUMBAAA!!!!! lol :D

I agree 100%!
  • zumba_gal
    zumba_gal Posts: 63 Member
    to me it depends on the instructor,, my instructor does alot of aerobics in it so I can burn anywhere from 600 to 800 in her class,, other instructors it depends!!!! get a heart rate monitor
  • TeamLeela
    my instructor has an awesome playlist that plays back to back. no pauses. one song blends right into the next. take a water break at your own risk because the first part of the song has already started playing. not to say that you can't drink water, but you will have to jump into the routine because it has started without you. There are no designated water breaks. As a result, my heart rate is up the entire time. my hrm will easily show an avg hr of 160+. So its easy to burn 700 to 800 calories in that hour. I am nursing a knee injury so it is sometimes higher if I'm feeling up to it.
This discussion has been closed.