George Michael's "Last Christmas" is worst Christmas song ever!

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I agree that song is awful......and the Paul McCartney song....and Baby it's Cold Outside....and Grandma got run over by a Reindeer.....and if I hear any more about little girls wanting hippos for Christmas or Chipmunks just wanting hoola hoops, I'm going to jump off something high!!!!

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer is the best Christmas song. The violence helps convey my feelings when my family inevitably tortures me with Christmas music.

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    For me, the worst thing about 'Baby It's Cold Outside' is that they sing over the top of each other. Being somewhat of a musician, that's really annoying. One thought at a time please. And stop interrupting me.

There are so many awful things about that song. Their voices really make me want to hurl.
  • yourradimradletshug
    Options
    I don't think it is terrible. Taylor Swift's cover is A LOT worse! Also, if you hear some of the garbage christmas music they play where I work "Last Christmas" would be a welcome reprieve for your ears!
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that song. Last Christmas is in my top 5 favorite Christmas songs.

The best songs are all punk remakes like Oi To The World.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT and I love George Michael. I also love SANTA BABY. Diversity of thought and taste make this world a better place. I don't have to like everything everyone else does. My least favorite holiday song would probably be the one Adam Sandler did -- can't remember the name or Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

It's actually about Hanukkah since he's Jewish...
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/adamsandler/thechanukahsong.html
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is terrible. Taylor Swift's cover is A LOT worse! Also, if you hear some of the garbage christmas music they play where I work "Last Christmas" would be a welcome reprieve for your ears!

Taylor Swift is terrible in general. So I believe it. And I will not listen to it.

Yess
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    My mother plays the Muppet's Christmas Album every year. EVERY. YEAR.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    sassyjae21 wrote: »
    Disagree. "Baby, it's cold outside" is the worst Christmas song ever. And possibly just the worst song ever. It's annoying and really creepy.

This or "I'd like to hitch a ride with Santa Claus". Always disliked the drummer boy one too. Bah Humbug!

I really like the style of "Baby It's Cold Outside" and I think the overlapping lines between the male and female singers is pretty clever - but I absolutely cannot and will not deny the amount of creepy. There are moments in the song where it seems like she's kind of into the flirting but then he starts trying for something more. Persistence isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the fact that she repeatedly says "no" and also says "what's in this drink?" kills the potential charm. I recently read that, on top of all the rapey banter in the song (can I say "rapey" on MFP?), the sheet music lists the male part as "wolf" and the female part as "mouse"...which is also creepy.

I've never heard "I'd like to hitch a ride with Santa Claus," but I also dislike the drummer boy one. As a child, it gave me nightmares...I don't know why, exactly, but there's something in the music that gives me a weird feeling. I also tend to dislike Christmas music from the TV show Glee and country-flavored Christmas music (such as that version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus")... but I do like Vince Vance and the Valiants' "All I Want for Christmas Is You."

I think I need to look up Muppets Christmas music. Their cover/parody of Bohemian Rhapsody was really entertaining (and I'm a hardcore Queen fan), so I think if they did Christmas music, it could be a serious improvement over some of the Christmas songs that get played.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Disagree. "Baby, it's cold outside" is the worst Christmas song ever. And possibly just the worst song ever. It's annoying and really creepy.

This or "I'd like to hitch a ride with Santa Claus". Always disliked the drummer boy one too. Bah Humbug!

I really like the style of "Baby It's Cold Outside" and I think the overlapping lines between the male and female singers is pretty clever - but I absolutely cannot and will not deny the amount of creepy. There are moments in the song where it seems like she's kind of into the flirting but then he starts trying for something more. Persistence isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the fact that she repeatedly says "no" and also says "what's in this drink?" kills the potential charm. I recently read that, on top of all the rapey banter in the song (can I say "rapey" on MFP?), the sheet music lists the male part as "wolf" and the female part as "mouse"...which is also creepy.

I've never heard "I'd like to hitch a ride with Santa Claus," but I also dislike the drummer boy one. As a child, it gave me nightmares...I don't know why, exactly, but there's something in the music that gives me a weird feeling. I also tend to dislike Christmas music from the TV show Glee and country-flavored Christmas music (such as that version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus")... but I do like Vince Vance and the Valiants' "All I Want for Christmas Is You."

I think I need to look up Muppets Christmas music. Their cover/parody of Bohemian Rhapsody was really entertaining (and I'm a hardcore Queen fan), so I think if they did Christmas music, it could be a serious improvement over some of the Christmas songs that get played.

LOL, ok I admit, the Muppets stuff is actually kinda fun. But every year though.....
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You all are right. My sister calls that "the rape song" Ugh..plus I heard one version in a song one day, and at the end he's all like, "but if you go outside you'll get pneumonia and die". I don't know if that's in all versions, but he sings that all happily, and then it goes off. WTF. That song is really the worst.

Ew........that adds another layer of gross to the creepy.

After reading all the comments up so far, it's funny to see that some of the songs I'm least annoyed by are some of the ones that make other people want to break things and hurt people. For example, McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" is one that I like because it's bouncy (although I do understand how some of the sounds/instruments could be really annoying to people), and another poster said that it makes him/her want to stick hot pokers in his/her ears.

I think it's cool that we can all come here and complain about Christmas songs together. I'm the kind of person who normally gets excited about Christmas six months early; I'll ride around in summer with the windows down in my car and have the Drifters' "White Christmas" (which absolutely annoys my mom) playing on the radio. This year, I'm just about sick of all of them. I started listening to Christmas songs on one of my local radio stations on November 15th; by Thanksgiving, I was tired of hearing the 22 songs (or the 17 songs and different versions) that I like.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Ever since I saw this darn thread, this song has been CONSTANTLY in my head...make it stop! Lol
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Best Christmas Songs:

Mistress for Christmas - ACDC
    If I ain't drunk then it ain't Christmas - Corey Taylor
    The Stocking Song - Steel Panther
    Christmas in Hollis - Run DMC
    12 Days of Christmas - Bob and Doug McKenzie

You forgot The Pogues "Faiytale of New York"

But seriously...it's not Christmas without the bad music, it it?

• CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Best Christmas Songs:

Mistress for Christmas - ACDC
    If I ain't drunk then it ain't Christmas - Corey Taylor
    The Stocking Song - Steel Panther
    Christmas in Hollis - Run DMC
    12 Days of Christmas - Bob and Doug McKenzie

You forgot The Pogues "Faiytale of New York"

But seriously...it's not Christmas without the bad music, it it?

I'm listening to it now !!!
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Best Christmas song ever . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8YQqK5e5es
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I used to love "Baby it's Cold Outside" and "Santa Baby" (Eartha Kitt version - Madonna's sucks), now, not so much (rapey and greedy - how are those nice things for the holidays?) as for "Last Christmas," I was just thinking about that this morning - how is that even a Christmas song? Aside from timing, it isn't about Christmas, its about someone with dependency issues who, a year later, can't get over an ex. Little Drummer Boy makes me cry (I've given people poems (that weren't completely atrocious - only slightly) because I couldn't afford a more material gift) when I hear it. I used to love Christmas carols, but now I'm still trying to balance liking the music itself while finding the lyric content to be, usually lacking. Need more Weird Al, Punk, comedy, and TSO("Christmas Canon" and "Wizards in Winter" are not their only songs darnit) holiday songs on the radio. :) (edited to add yet another parenthetical statement)
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Here's an oldy but a goodie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5GtaTrPHM
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Lol, Feliz Navidad was always mine. It has like 13 words in the whole song.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TenderMoon
    TenderMoon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Jingle Cats hands down best Christmas music ever! ;) I've always played it for my cats over the years but, sadly, this year I'm without a cat. Had my 17 year old put down two weeks ago.