Emotional Eating

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid emotional eating (from the women who just chowed down on a big mac after her daughter fell down the stairs- she is alright but I was not until *burp* now).

Replies

• ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You have to find other ways to channel your emotion other than through food. I'm no expert, but I suffer from binge eating disorder and I use food to shut off some other emotion. I'm seeing a therapist who says that a lot of the anger I have towards certain situations I choose to express through food by eating viciously instead of talking it out or doing other things. I would recommend going for a walk when you feel like you're about to emotionally eat, read a good book, listen to music, clear your head and think rationally before you do something you'll later regret
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I did that this morning. I never knew I was an emotional eater. I knew I was doing it part way through and kept it up, too. It was really strange. (Thankfully I was under on calories yesterday so I was able to zig zag for a perfect 2-day average. But, if not for yesterday's deficit, I'd be kicking myself right now.)

Only thing I can think of is to avoid situations wherever possible (if they are recurring like relationship problems or other repeat stressors) or change the triggers into something else. Like Pavlov's dogs...instead of salivating at the bell because you know food is coming, train yourself that the bell means something good. Like, "Oh, I feel stressed, time to get up and go for that walk to the park I always do." At first you'll be forcing it, but, eventually, in theory anyway, the trigger will result in a walk (or whatever you replace it with). You've just got to buckle down in the beginning to make the training stick.

Just an idea. :)
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I find myself staring at the pantry or fridge in a stressful or crisis mode, I try to take a step back and get out of the house. Even if it's just a stroll down the street. Something to distract me from shoveling unnecessary cals in my body. I'm not perfect and am still known to give in to the weakness, but I just had to let you know you are not alone and give you my piddly 2 cents. LOL

Hope it helps.

&

I hope your daughter is ok.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    it is a toughie. I suffer from that too. I binge it big time. to help with thati banned myself from eating after dinner at 6:30. It always helps me to be able to put the big mac down if i can add it into my journal BEFORE i eat it and see how off i will be and how if "you ate likes this for 5 weeks you would gain 40 pounds" be in control. binge eating is down at the spur of the moment. so before you bite into it, open it, or order it, stop and think for 30 seconds. do i really need this? am i really hungry? why do i want something so unhealthy? Is there something i can eat that would be better for me?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I think Ari pretty much covered it.

One thing I would add, I sometimes find it helpful to type out the situation here, if there isn't anything to be done about it. Just a hey, this situation has come up, I have exhausted my possibilities/done my duties and now I want to eat the frustration away. Someone please stop me. Even if I have to log off and get out of the house after posting, I like all the support that comes along and it reassures me later in the day in ways a big mac never could.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Take a relaxing bubble bath (if you can with small children???) - it's awkward eating in the bathtub, so you probably wouldn't - especially a big mac!
  • katw26
    katw26 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am an emotional eater too :( Especially when stressed or unhappy- which is most of the time! I replace it with exercise- at first it wasn't easy but instead of heading for the cupboard or for take away- make the decision to go for a walk, mow the lawn (my favourite when I am really upset or stressed- it burns more than calories!) Now it is second nature for me to choose something other than food. And yes, definitely stop and think if you really need it before you just do it- or if you have to, eat a smaller portion of what you would normally get.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    a lot of the anger I have towards certain situations I choose to express through food by eating viciously instead of talking it out or doing other things.

That's exactly it.
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    I am (was) a self-diagnoised emotional eater. I could ruin a perfectly good eating day with one event whether it was lonely, depressed, angry, excited, anxious, etc....you get the picture by eating anything in sight and if I was really stressed I would get in the car and head to a fast food place or the grocery store. All of that changed when I signed up here in mid-April. Holding myself accountable for what I put in my mouth has been a blessing. Yes, I get the urge from time to time to eat a box of ding dongs or a double Whooper with King sized fries, but I don't. Because I promised myself that I was going to be truthful with this process of watching my calories. I eat it then it gets recorded period. I am starting my 4th week and the emotional eating has been curbed. I hesitate not to say cured from it, but so far so good.
    I know where you are coming from and I know if you stick with this MFP site and honestly record your food intake you will force yourself to eat correctly. Will you fail from time to time...probably, but this is a good structured site to keep you on the straight and narrow. If I can do you it so can you. You are talking to someone who can ingest a box of 12 ice cream sandwiches in 1 hour depending upon how emotional I was at the time.
  • tafriesen
    tafriesen Posts: 4
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I love all of the above answers and support. Put the food down and refocus your energy somewhere else. Have a hobby?:flowerforyou: