Running to the gym and back

Options
Hi everyone,

I just wondered if anyone else does this? I think I may start because I really don't like cardio. I like to do 30-40 minutes of cardio and about 45 minutes of weights, 3-4x a week, but I always dread the cardio part! I think that if I made my cardio the run to and from the gym (about 1.5 miles each way) I'll not dread it so much so will probably start doing this in the mornings before class.

In terms of carrying belongings like towels/bottle/phone, does anyone know of any good belts or bags? I do have a running belt but it's just enough for a phone and a snack or something but not a towel. Any input in general about this would be great. For those of you that do run to and from the gym do you find you prefer getting your cardio in this way than just doing it at the gym?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Good idea! I'm going to try it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and then go get my cardio outside.

You should check with your facility before doing so. Many don't allow outdoor shoes in the facility.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I would think a backpack with loose items well strapped down would work well.

I am embarrassed to say that I only live a half a mile from my gym, and am very likely to take a car to it rather than walk. *hangs head* My only real excuse is that as a swimmer in a cold climate, I don't really want to walk home with a damp head and backpack in very cold weather.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

You should check with your facility before doing so. Many don't allow outdoor shoes in the facility.

what?? I've never heard that- considering most people's running shoes are their training shoes (not that I agree i'ts the best desciion- but it's pretty common)

I know lots of people who run to and from their gym- OR- work out- then leave the gym for a run then come back to the gym (I did for years).
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I used to do soemthing similar, if it makes it easier for you then do it. What i did find is that on some days if you didnt feel like it then it could put you off going to the gym altogether.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a cycling shirt - they are made from the same technical workout materials as running shirts but have big back pockets. You can also get a collapsible water bottle to cut down on bulk.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

what?? I've never heard that- considering most people's running shoes are their training shoes (not that I agree i'ts the best desciion- but it's pretty common)

I know lots of people who run to and from their gym- OR- work out- then leave the gym for a run then come back to the gym (I did for years).

My gym doesn't really like it much if you go for a run in the sloppy, gritty, chemically-deiced sidewalks, then come in and lift or use the equipment, no. We don't FORBID it, but we discourage it, as it does make for a much more difficult time for the cleaning staff.

We also strongly encourage people to leave their outside shoes on mats, and not put them in lockers where they are sure to make a mess.
  • laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I HATE the treadmill, bikes and cardio equipment at the gym so when I get off work I run to the gym get in my weight training and then run back. It's mostly downhill there but I get a good burn on the way back. lol

I clip my phone to my sports bra and hold my towel (hand towel) in my hand or around my neck with it tucked in my jacket so it doesn't flop.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've run to and from my gym before (also 1.5 miles each way). Not smart on leg day, that's all I have to say. :(
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I did that all summer (except legs day, when I walked there). It worked well. It was 2 miles there, and 2 miles back. I took my gloves and an ID, and some small snack. It worked well. And was a nice change of pace.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I do like to do this whenever possible. Some ideas:
    1. rent a locker and keep some of your gear at the gym
    2. shower when you get back home
    3. ride a bike with saddle bags for cargo (not running, I know, but it's cardio during your travel time)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

My gym doesn't really like it much if you go for a run in the sloppy, gritty, chemically-deiced sidewalks, then come in and lift or use the equipment, no. We don't FORBID it, but we discourage it, as it does make for a much more difficult time for the cleaning staff.

We also strongly encourage people to leave their outside shoes on mats, and not put them in lockers where they are sure to make a mess.

Yep, I don't think that I've ever been in a gym here that doesn't have a no outdoor shoes policy.

I have been to many that do indeed forbid it due to the damage that can be caused to the machines from Nov-March, and the mess that can be drug around the facility. Normally, the places that have the rule, but don't really enforce it around here are the 24hr facilities that don't have people working the door that much.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    BryonyKate wrote: »
    I think that if I made my cardio the run to and from the gym (about 1.5 miles each way)

So that'll give you about 25-30 minutes worth of CV work, so you may want to take the long way to make it worthwhile.

Notwithstanding that, plenty of running sacs on the market; Camelbak, OMM etc.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'd take a look at a small backpack. Make sure it has a hip belt so it doesn't sway around. Osprey makes a nice lightweight pack, the Tempest series, that has a full hip belt, and an option to add a hydration pack if you really get into running and start doing long runs, or running in really hot weather. It also has bottle pockets, so you don't need the hydration pack. I have the 11 L men's version (in the Talon series), and it's pretty nice for a day hike—room for a raincoat, binoculars, a lunch, a lightweight first aid kit, a multitool, and a couple other things, but not so much room that I'm tempted to bring extra crap with me.

There are other comparable products, and I have no financial stake in Osprey; I just like the pack. Most of my other bags are from Tom Bihn.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OP I run to my Pilates class and back. It's approx 2.5 Miles one way - once a week.

I stuff in my pilates clothes in trail runner backpack.