anyone have suggestions on healthy camping food?

Options
elephantmeg
elephantmeg Posts: 113 Member
We're headed on our first camping trip of the year next week and I'm a little nervous about how to tone down the high calorie camping food we generally eat. It's typically sandwiches with mac salad, hamburgers, hotdogs, sweets, little smokies etc. We'll be gone almost a week. I'm hoping DH will be around enough to allow me to continue running (he'll be at a conference and I'll be mostly hanging out with the kids and the in-laws).

I have some ideas but was wondering if anyone else had some favorite healthy camping foods!

Replies

• wecmom
    wecmom Posts: 11
    Options
    Look for low calorie options of your favorite recipes when you can - turkey burgers, or hit allrecipes.com up for some low cal good food when you can, but remember that usually, when you go camping, you spend a lot more time burning than you do in your normal routine. Also, give yourself the chance to relax a little and enjoy the break from being VERY strict. I firmly believe a little down time is good for you occasionally.

Have fun!
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    For me, camping is a tent, a fire we make ourselves, and a camping pot. So eating can be a challenge. Here's how I deal with it.

Find a recipe for your own granola bars and make some of those. The pre-packaged ones are extremely high in sugar, and by making your own, you can fit them to your taste.

We generally spend a lot of time hiking, so I tend to eat a lot of carbs to help keep my energy up. Bring lots of fruits that are easy to consume and dispose of, such as apples and bananas.

A can of beans provides our protein, being a vegetarian and camping is both a blessing and a curse. I also pre make airpopped popcorn kernels on the stove and fill a gallon bag with them. They're good for snacking on the go.

If we actually find a grocery store close, we'll gather up some fresh veggies for the night and roast them on the fire. Zucchini, broccoli, and peppers roast up nicely over flame and are a great dinner!

Hopefully this helps somewhat.
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    We just camped this weekend. We made turkey burgers and turkey hot dogs. Also brought baked potato chips and mini rice cakes, chedder and caramel flavored!! Good luck to you and have fun!!
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    veggie burgers can be a great substitute. Also carrots instead of chips (they don't need refrigeration). Baked beans of a low sodium/sugar variety can be a better alternative than macaroni salad. Also protein bars instead of lunch and some nuts on the trail balance out with a bigger dinner.

On the other hand when I go camping I usually also am a lot more active, biking/hiking/kayaking etc... So I usually splurge on smores. Have fun!
  • amylary
    amylary Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    grill some chicken breast , you can slice that for sandwiches or eat as a dinner or even make a healthy chicken salad with some apples and grapes for another day of the week
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Trail mix! Granola! Few things better.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    When you say camping, I think tent and open fire.
    Canned veggies can be heated in a pot over the fire.
    I like to package chicken in ziplocs already marinated. Then wrap them and veggies (potatoes, carrots, peppers, etc.) in a tin foil packet and toss them in the fire.
    Consider Hillshire Farmed Hardwood Smoked Chicken Sausage in place of hot dogs ... it can be sectioned off and 1/4 of the kielbasa is only 158 calories (less than the average bun length hot dog) and quite tasty and just as if not more filling... Or you can look at chicken or turkey franks (which I generally prefer because I don't eat beef)
    You can do pork chops in the tin foils wraps as well.
    Corn on the cob, still in the husk (lay husk open and remove the silk then re-wrap the husk around the cob) roasted in the fire is yummy too ...
    A few ideas for stuff that I do... I hope other people are more creative... Let's hear it guys!

~Namaste
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, SUCH a good question Meg, because I went camping (just overnight) last week and found it so hard to eat well. But we did discover one thing, if you have even the most basic camping stove (which I assume you do since you said "burgers"). I just posted a recipe for my Italian veggie soup with beans, in the recipe forum here. It heated up beautifully and surprisingly fast, and is quite filling. We have the most basic two burner stove and a pot and voila. :) I know I'm like fanatical about this soup, but it really has been a total lifesaver in the weight loss process for me.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken shrimp & veggie kabobs :) For sides, fresh salad and low fat baked beans.
  • elephantmeg
    Options
    lol. No tent camping here-we each have a camper with stove/oven/fridge. Plus we grill too. Thanks for all the suggestions!

here is what I'm thinking so far:

Snacks (I have a 3 yo and a 5 yo so snacks are key!)
    -hard boiled eggs
    -string cheese
    -fruit (I generally pick up 2 containers of fruit at costco each week)
    -I got some real fruit roll ups at costco this week (50 calories) for low blood sugar melt down mode!)
    -cracker sticks with cheese

Breakfast
    -I'll probably continue with my oatmeal and then splurge one breakfast (we go out one breakfast with the group) and maybe add a couple lil smokies to my oatmeal once or twice

Lunch
    -Continue with my sandwich/fruit/veggie

Dinner
    -whatever with lots of veggies
    -healthy desert once or twice
  • mauck7
    mauck7 Posts: 74
    Options
    When I was a child my fav thing when camping was the "hobo dinner"...granted it wasnt all healthy cause momma used ground beef but a healthy version is:ground turkey, mixed veggies (squash, green beens, whatever) and potatoes (if desired)... add salt n pepper and a butter alternative.

-Make a turkey patty or roll season to taste
    -add mixed veggies
    -add potatoes if desired ...Sweet potatoes?
    -butter or non-stick product (if you lay the food on lettice inside the foil wrap the food wont stick to foil.)
    -salt n pepper

Wrap in tin foil and put over a camp fire. put right in coals. flip after about 30 minutes.

This is still my favorite meal while camping. :-) Hope you really enjoy your time camping.
  • AngelaLVGJN
    AngelaLVGJN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love some of these ideas. We went camping last weekend and I gained 2 lbs. Granted, I didn't plan my meals very well. This weekend we are going again, so I am very interested in good ideas. I like the idea of chicken/turkey sausage!

Thanks!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elephantmeg
    Options
    these are all such great ideas!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My sister would marinate (teriaki sp?) b/s chicken breasts, then we would put them in one of those locking wire baskets with a ring of pineapple on top of each side and cook over the fire. Wonderful!
  • BlueEyesAllDay
    Options
    So glad someone thought to ask this.... I would have just had a splurge weekend instead of thinking to try for alternatives.

Thanks for all the responses as well!
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Ruffles makes Light potato chips (About 80 calories for 15 chips) if you are feeling the need for munchies like that! Vegetable skewers are awesome, and portabello mushrooms on the grill are amazing. You would grill up the mushroom just like a burger and eat it on the bun! I'm a vegetarian, so it's a great alternative when my family is grilling out
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! We're heading camping this weekend too - unfortunately it's with a bunch of cub scout families (each family picks a meal and cooks for everyone). So, I'll be at the discretion of others. That being said, "everything in moderation." Whatever you eat, just make sure to work off through hiking, playing, swimming, whatever. Most importantly, have a great time! If you "blow it" just be sure to be back here Monday morning (or better yet, as soon as you get home!)
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about the hobo meals! I can't go camping without doing this once... usually I douse the entire packet of healthy meat and veggies in ketchup, but I suppose that's not so healthy anymore. :/ Maybe just some hot sauce.
  • Lorraine0710
    Options
    We used to camp on a regular basis and always managed to catch a fish or two. You can get fresh veg from the local farms. Just give yourself a little extra time to cook the veg and griddle your fish with just a spray of 1 cal oil. Stir fry is easy too. For the children, par boil some new potatoes, slice thinly and cook in a frying pan with a spray of 1 cal oil. They're great with a slice of local fresh bread. Maybe add a poached egg and some baked beans too!! :smile: