Italian style veggie soup (with beans)

Options
jonikeffer
jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
I have literally been eating this 5+ times per week (usually every day for lunch, unless I'm away from home) for the last 2.5 months and I'm still not sick of it. Granted I have a high tolerance for eating the same thing over and over, but still... ;) Tastes great, filling, and just under 300 cals per serving. Make it on the weekend if you like, it stays good all week in the fridge. If you're cooking for one only, maybe freeze half of it.

Ingredients:
3T olive oil
1 large sweet onion, diced
3 ribs of celery, diced
roughly 18 mini carrots, diced or sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lrg can petite diced tomatoes
1 lrg can crushed tomatoes
2 cans chicken broth or one "box"
2 cubes chicken bouillon
4 cups water
1 can garbanzo beans
2 cans cannellini beans (white kidney)
2 medium zucchini, diced
2 medium summer (yellow) squash, diced
1 cup orzo
salt and pepper to taste

Heat stockpot over med-high heat.
Add olive oil, onion, celery, carrots, garlic. Cook about 10 mins, stiring frequenly.
Add both cans tomatoes, broth, bouillon, water, garbanzos, cannellinis. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30-40 mins.
Add zucchini, squash and orzo. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 mins. During this time, season to taste with salt/pepper.

Makes 10 hearty servings.

Replies

• nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Yum I make the same thing! I love it too, but I do get sick of it after a while. Its nice to make a ton and have it for a week though!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: This sounds delicious, and looks easy to make. I must try it.
  • sek92
    sek92 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    can you use dry beans and not canned? if so do i add anything else? sounds awesome
  • jonikeffer
    Options
    Sek92 - I'm sorry I'm a lousy cook so I don't really know how to modify recipes successfully. Plus my husband is a sweetheart and is the one who cooks this for us. Logically I would think you could use dry beans instead of canned, but maybe you can cook them before adding them to the soup recipe at the appointed time?? It's not a slow cooking soup so I'd be afraid to use uncooked beans. Maybe a better cook could help us with this question....
  • jonikeffer
    Options
    WOW - saw your ticker (LJCannon) and 172 lbs lost??? You're awesome!

It IS really easy to make, and I thought this would be a good time/place to mention the "Slapchop" device (as in, "as seen on TV"/infomercial device) is a really great little device to have if you cut a lot of veggies and such for cooking. It cuts the prep time way down. We even got ours recently at Bed Bath and Beyond for $10 on clearance!