Getting serious with weight loss and chronic health disorder

Options
I am 26, recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Over the last 6 months I have gained 30 lbs due to the medications I am taking. I eat fairly healthily (my migraines force me to avoid large mounts of processed foods). But when I'm in a lot of pain, I don't exercise as much as I should.

I joined a gym yesterday, and attended an aquatic aerobics class. I'm trying to throw myself into losing this weight. I'm at 220ish lbs and I need to be between 180-190 as my healthier range.

I'm looking for additional support on here (and elsewhere). I'm trying to foster my healthcare in a well rounded manner. I hadn't been on this site in a while when I decided to rejoin a few days ago, so I'm looking to rebuild my community.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how did your medications cause you to gain 30 lbs? Did they increase your appetite?
  • AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No, they change metabolism. I eat until I'm full and when I've tracked it, the calories are under what I need to maintain weight.

I hadn't changed my diet, gained 30 lbs and am taking 4 meds that are known to cause weight gain.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are starting to do the right things to lose weight. Exercise with chronic pain is not easy, but it can be so helpful, not just for weight loss.

Unfortunately, unless you have access to a lab that can do metabolic testing, you'll have to determine your actual maintenance level by trial and error. If you know your exact calorie intake since you started gaining, you could divide your total caloric excess (30lb * 3500 calories per pound) by the number of days since you started to gain, and subtract that from your daily total to get your maintenance requirement.

Good luck with the process. You seem to have a good attitude toward your health and weight, and that's a huge part of it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I, too, know what it's like to gain weight from medications so I empathize. I have Crohn's disease and have had to take Gabapentin, Humira, and Prednisone. I blew up like a balloon. On top of that, I took antidepressants for my anxiety and to control symptoms of Crohn's as well. I've gained 111 lbs in the past three years due to the medications. No change in diet, no increase in calories. I have had metabolic testing done and my RMR is barely 1100 calories. This is a result of the medications as well.

I would highly suggest buying a food scale if you haven't already. Measuring cups/spoons are not accurate.

You can use this sites calculators to figure out how many calories you should be consuming: www.iifym.com.

• AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That is rough. I was just switched to Gabapentin, I'm also on an antidepressant and several others. I have to take more than 12 pills a day (some of them are multiple times).

Thanks for the website I'll look into it!

It doesn't help that since I started working out more, my appetite starts immediately increasing.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, an increased appetite is a sign that your metabolism is reviving. I know it is tough; just try not to eat back all the gains you are getting from exercising.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My appetite did the same thing when I started exercising - after a few weeks though it normalized. Be good with your logging, you may find that different food combos at different meals can help with appetite (i.e. when I used to have yogurt for breakfast and a big lunch, I was ravenous all the time, but now I have a big all-American type breakfast and yogurt for lunch and I feel much better).
    -
    Add me if you like, I have a low back injury that loves to flare up whenever I start feeling too good about my progress.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Gabapentin is know to cause weight gain it also can cause you to feel hungry. But the drug works.